Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What do you do for a living ?

Nice to see that you all have enthusiasm for starting your own company
smiley2.gif

My plans are to stay at my current work to gather experience and knowledge. But I'm planing to start working as a freelancer beside my current work. To offer service all around the worldto sell brainpower and resources. What you think about that?

Great! I am admiring you for your ideal.I like the life traveling round the world.Perhaps,I will give up my work and travel with my lover one day.

hiiiiiiiii

Thanks lee and skint for the support and skint i will think abt u for a job in future hahaha
smiley36.gif
kidding skint i liked ur plans also just keep on working maybe we can be there where we are now dreaming of and ISAIR i respect ur idea u wanna go for exp and above all ur working as freelancer so do u get any projects apart from ur company work i mean do u get projects from other companies also as a part time and if so how do u charge them depending upon the size of project etc .. plz let us know some details abt it

I know a friend of mine has quit his job and has started freelancing on his own, he was a very good drafter ( mainly using autocad ) and is a very experience engineer too. He now makes a LOT more money freelancing his drafting skills.

I would love a company to pay me to sit and convert 2d cad drawings into 3d pro-e models hehe, make a few quid and force me to learn pro-e faster
smiley17.gif

Hi Skint,

I take it your friend travels far and wide with his freelancing job or does he work from home? Also, does he offer his skills be word of mouth or by advertising etc?

I've often pondered about working for yourself in this game. Does anybody know ifthere are anylegal requirements in terms of insurance etc etc?

Regards,

He has become successful enough to register his own business, finance a company car etc. As far as I know, all of his work is generated through word of mouth. I guess if your are as good as he is, then word of mouth is always going to be successful.

He does a bit of work for thecompany I work fornow, I am not sure what he charges us but it is a lot of money. He basically visits the offcie to discuss our requirements and get an idea of the products themselves, then he just works from home to get the drawings completed. Obviously he send them back via email but always includes CD copies in the post, we will then ask him back in if possible to discuss again if needed etc.

As for legal stuff, Im not exactly sure. I know that he had to sign confidentiality documents etc, disclosure forms and so forth. I would also like to hear everybody elses experiences in this topic, freelancing would be a nice little side earner aswell as helping to learn pro-e etc.

Lee, did you manage to get that CD you was looking for ? I may be able to help you out.

Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer working from the romanian subsidiary of a US company. I deal mainly with automotive parts. I use ProE since 1998, I started with ProE 18 and now I'm using Wildfire 2. It's pretty boring after all this time. I try now to find som freelance work. have you guys any idea how could I find some freelance projects in ProE ?

Skwasim

I'm not jet work as a freelancer, it is just for the future, now I must finish other obligations (as finish my university and get degree).
My basic idea about freelancing is to work for company where now work either as their employer or as their partner (to ensure myself to have bids), and then at home to work for all other companies who might need my services.
Edited by: Isair

Hello all, I have been visiting this site for a few months now. This site is pretty cool. I work for a major cutting tool manufacture in the United States. We manufacture replacable tip cutting tools. I work in the research and development department as a Design Engineer. I have been working on pro-e for about 8-1/2 years now. We are currently using wildfire 1. We have not switched to wildfire 2 because we have alot of automation and it is a huge undertaking. We will probably look at wildfire 3 when it come out. They usually upgrade here every other version.

Well its nice to hear from everybody. Cool to see all the cool stuff people work on. I don't get much free time at work to do side projects. It would be cool to have pro at home so I could work on my own stuff. Its just do expensive.

Hi js, Ive not introduced myself before so Hi and welcome aboard the forum
smiley2.gif
. Yeah pro-e is a little too pricey for private purchase isnt it
smiley19.gif
,I am lucky enough that I have a floating liscense and can use pro-e both at work and at home, the worst thing is having the Time to do it, and after spending all day at work using pro-e at home is the last thing I want to do. I am new to pro-e and NEED the practice !

Nice to meet you -Skint- or should I say talk to you.
smiley1.gif

The company I work for used floating licence too. But I need to buy a better computer at home. I have an old P2. Not very good for running wildfire.

I guess what you say about working on it all day long is true because the last thing I want to do when I go home is to work on another computer.

-Skint-,

I to work for a door hardware company. We use Pro-e, ISDX, Alias and Freeform depending on the need.

Curtis

-Skint- and jswinderman.

As I explain earlier, I am too a freelancer and work for a company. Working at home after spending all day at work depends of what you want. In my case, I work at home only when I need (financial need) and when I want. Sure, it takestime to conciliate the 2 jobsbut when you want to make extra (holidays, new car, ...), you know why you work. Since 4 years, I've spend only 20% of my "out-of-job-time" for my home work.

One thing to do :Answer waitings of the customers, whenyou accept an order.You're the only oneto manage your orders and your spare time.

bp

Hi cpodom, what is the name of the company you work for, perhaps I will know it. I have been working in the door/window hardware industry for 5 years in the UK.

Hello bp, Yes I guess working from home and freelance has its ups and downs, but it depends on what you want to get out of life, do we work harder to earn more money or do we spend more time with family etc. I guess a lot of us on this forum are hard working and are looking to progress and earn more money etc...otherwise we would not be taking our own time (like me) to learn pro-e. Tell us bp, how do you get your freelance jobs, word of mouth, advertisement etc ?

When I changed of company, 6 years ago, I keep good relations with the one I've left. As theyhad much work which they could not make, I created my company to repair them temporarily. Thereafter, by the word of mouthI continued.

Today, I'm going to make advertisement and perhaps an internet site.

bp

Excellent work bp, must be proud of yourself. If you are successful by word of mouth then I believe thats the best way, we all strive to be the best at what we do and when somebody else suggests your name that must be a nice feeling.

What is your company name ?

-Skint-

I work for Black & Decker

Hardware & Home Improvement Group

Brands: Baldwin, Kwikset, Weiser Lock, and Price Pfister.

Curtis

Hello Fellow Pro/Engineers
smiley4.gif

I'm a Sr. mold Designer at a rapid prototyping firm in New York

Been working on Pro/E for a number of years, mostly design Mud Frame molds

The company is a great place to work, we play pool 3 times a day, ping pong etc.

Brian

hiiiii

Moroso u have one hell of a good company man u get to do all this stuff whereas in our comp only work work nothing more than tht man iam fed up with mine one iam gonna quit someday and start freelance work ok enough of me great going guy's waiting to hear more intresting names n views n Skint u have done a good job till here in this thread keep going

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back