Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF 2.0 Beta

Here's what I've seen that's new:

1) The GUI has been updated to improve visibility and clarity. Key buttons highlight (like OK) when they are the default.

2) Sketched curves and the internal sketch for a feature (like a protrusion) are now interchangeable and are called Sketches. For instance, to create a Protrusion, you can preselect a Sketch and specify a distance. Or you can sketch a new section as before. After using a sketch to define a protrusion, it can be unlinked which creates a copy of the original sketch for the protrusion. Then the new copy can be edited independently. All that being said, I am not quite sure what the point of all this is except to add more object-action to the mix.

3) The long awaited Holy Grail of ProE is here: Undo/Redo! It seems to work as expected, and you can step backwards through your Undo history serially. The menu changes to indicate what you are undoing/redoing (i.e. Undo Modify Dimension, Redo Extrude). If it is robust, it will be heartily applauded.

4) A new mode called Orient Mode which allows different types of spinning: Dynamic, Anchored, Delayed, and Velocity. I'm not sure how to work all of them yet. I can see that Velocity Mode works a lot like the Fly-Through type of spinning.

Other than that, it doesn't look a whole lot different. It seems to me that PTC should have waited to release WF 1.0 until all this was ready. Several of the things that are fully incorporated in 2.0 were halfway introduced in WF 1.0. But maybe this is a strategy to catch all those IT managers who wanted to skip rolling out WF? I guess time will tell...

I downloaded it last night, and pulled up my small block Chevy engine on it. The graphics seem really slow and loading it is quite different.

I did alittle Mech Design with it last night but i also had a few beers too. ;^) so i can't remember everything.

It look somewhat the same as Wildfire, I'm going to load it up here at work, I'll let you know.

Brian

Regarding improved spinning... isn't that stuff the same as it is in WF 1.0? (Turn off the Spin Center, right mouse click and hold, and choose one of the View Mode options.)

Rumor has it that 'Save As' to lower version with features is enabled.

I didn't see anything under the pull down, maybe it's config option that has to be turned on.

The spinning improvements are in Wildfire 1.0

I haven't used the sheetmatel module in a while but it looks like they finally updated the assembling of forms

Hi,

the patterning is like how it works in solidworks. just pick the the ones you don't want to include in your pattern and done. finish sequence was added in pro/man. vericut ver 5.3 is included. i'm still exploring it.

How about the Pro/Manufacturing UI?

Are there any changes or is the menu manager still there?

Any new buttons for Pro/NC?

How about Postprocessing?

Mr. Lamy if you're reading and you know something, please throw us a bone! :)

Try out an Axis Pattern ... sweeeeet.

pick a feature...

pick an axis

# of copies and angular spacing...

done.

(No longer a need to create datum planes just to support a circular pattern)

-Brian Adkins

Brian,

Did PTC also complete the Direction Pattern functionality, and if so, can you describe how it works? (I have a guess how it works, but not positive.

Also, was the Edit References (formerly known as Reroute) UI finally changed from Menu Manager-driven?

Dave

Looks like direction pattern works well also:

1) Select feature

2) Select pattern icon and choose direction (dimension is default)

3) Select a Plane, Flat Face, Linear Curve, Csys or axis to define the first direction

4) A second pattern 'dot' appears and you can drag it on the model and change the # of instances

5) Do a second direction if desired

6) Done

bottom line... pattern directions do not have to have existing dimensions in those directions in order to create the pattern.

I must say that the patterning really seems to work 100% better than ever.... I think PTC has taken into account all/most of the pattern gripes I've ever encountered.

Note: Groups can now be identically patterned....

-Brian Adkins

Tell me Brian, how does the sheetmetal package look. I mean, is the menu manager used for feature with sheetmetal creation?

Steve C

THe menu manager is not as present as in WF1, but it is still there in sheetmetal mode. Looks like sheetmetal mode does not yet use the 'dashboard' (at least in this pre-production version)

-Brian

I'm wondering how much Menu Manager remains in Part, Assembly, and Drawing modes. Can someone try the following commands and tell me if they get the MM:

Part mode: Edit > Feature Operations

Assembly: Edit > Setup

Drawings: Insert > Drawing View

Thanks in advance,

Dave Martin

Brian, I attended our local User Grour meeting last night and was told that the menu manager was gone with sheetmetal in WF2 in favor of the dashboard, maybe in the pre-production code it's still there.

Steve C

Viz,

How about the Pro/Manufacturing UI?

i'd say the same.

Are there any changes or is the menu manager still there?

yes, it's still there.

Any new buttons for Pro/NC?

neh, i didn't see any. except for finish sequence.

How about Postprocessing?

don't know.

Mr. Lamy if you're reading and you know something, please throw us a bone! :)

yeh, i was looking all over the place foe this info and found none.

It looks like 2.0 is not backward compatible with 1.0.

I hope thats just for the beta.

Has anyone else tried opening a new file in 1.0?

Mike

>> It looks like 2.0 is not backward compatible with 1.0

I've not heard anything to indicate 2.0 files will be backward-compatible with 1.0... I think the same old rules still apply.

... except for one statement above regarding a possible save-as-older-version scenario, but I've not seen any evidence of that yet.

-Brian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back