Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo parametric enhancements

Has anyone found new stuff?

There's now a command in IDD(Import Data doctor)called

"Align" that can force tangency and curvature continuity

on
existing 4 sided surfaces. I think that's new.

IDD-Align.png

IDD-Align-dash.png

Edited by: solidworm

Anyone notice the Visual Mirror? Cool for product designers!

Solidworm.... forcing tanceny inside the IDD is not new. you could do that even before the IDD was around.
Edited by: design-engine

solidworm said:
Greg, thats Creo Direct, a standalone program which is priced $4,995.
Flexible modeling Extension however, is embedded inside creo parametric, and has its own tab on the ribbon and is available to all CREO Licence types as stated in this PDF.

Creo Parametric is the old FXE.

Engineer one is a new package that includes FMX.

There is also an option available where you can upgrade you FXE to include the FMX (flex mod ex) for something like $2000 , but he maintenance does not increase at all.

I've been pushing the Freeform Sub'D tools very hard this month. Ill have a complete class ready by Friday. Ill also have a list of tool enhancements. Anyone try freeform yet?

I have posted some pics of a door knob i modeled when creo
came out on page 2. post pics of your models,Bart.
It could be a good reverse engineering tool too,maybe a
couple of release later, like the functionality currently
available in Tsplines or Catia V5R21.

Is there a way to make Creo look like Wildfire 5 without going in and changing every color?
I was surprised to not find Wildfire 5 as a color scheme option.

you can export a color file from wildfire 5, the extension is .syscol
(View>Display settings>system colors, then file >"save as" in sys color
window. import this into creo (file>options>systems colors>custum color
file)

That didn't work initially because my Wildfire 5 scheme was redone by a co-worker to match Creo
smiley36.gif
I guess he was excited about the new scheme.
I was able to reset the default in 5 and then save and that worked perfectly.
Creo's default color scheme makes my head hurt
smiley18.gif

Thanks for the help.

I am playing with Creo for a while and I must say - all this stuff for long time user is confusing.

But, please understand me right, I am not saying it is done wrong! It is me, too much related to previous interface and logic behind. I catched myself on thinking that if I would be a fresh user I would gave better opinion about Creo from very first click.

It has been couple of days of using Creo, and almost all time was invested on configuring it - new company, new environment, new projects, etc, no matured standards and config files.

It took me some time to find out what is where and why. Now I can say - longer I use I am much more confident about that - it all has sense;)

Now, what drives me really crazy is sketcher, frankly speaking snaping to existing elements or references. Cursor has to be exactly on existing entity to snap on it. Is there a way to change it?

ok, finaly I solved the problem. the cause was relative accuracu of sketcher - should be one for common work.

what catched me as cute thing to be new in Creo is View changes in Part Modeling mode which allows you to perform fast analisys about model sesion history.

View attachment 5376

This morning installed M010 of Creo -1.0. Hopefully the crash-a-palooza that I was experiencing with F000 will be fixed. So far so good.

Somebody asked what WF 5 can do that Creo can't. Large assembly import. In fact, any size assembly import. They import into Creo mangled beyond repair. The same filesbeautifully float into WF 5.0, wiith everything sewn up nicely.
Edited by: mgnt8

I just installed F000 today (didn't realize that M010 was out!) I think this is the first F000 release I've actually installed. I have to say, I'm impressed, too bad it'll likely be a year before I can use it.

Freestyle is pretty neat, but I have no idea how I'd use it.

On a machine with WinXP and a Radeon X1550 graphics card, there are "striping" artifacts in the 3D window. I suspect it's caused by a poor OpenGL implementation being that this card is not properly "CAD oriented" :) Anyone else had issues with Radeons?

Paolo

with regards RADEON it might be worth trying DirectX.
Apparently if you load DirectX 10.0 EndUser Runtime
library
into your PC then you can set config.pro
graphics to d3d (rather than OpenGL)

There is some documentation on PTC site that suggests this
might work.
Edited by: moriarty

Thanks moriarty.when i set graphics option to d3d, i'm
getting more frames per second when rotating models.Perhaps
this eliminates the need for buying Quadro cards, as
DirectX works well with cheap gaming cards.

I have the opposite preference. I'd like ot set up WF5 to match Creo. I like the clean, white interface over the crazy blue everywhere. Blue background in drawing mode? Who thought that was a good idea?

Ok, after playing with CREO a little more, I have a question: where is "insert" in assembly constraints?!? I know I don't need it anymore because the "coincident" constraint now works as insert too, but if I have a part with, say,a mate and two inserts, and I have to "repeat" it changing only the inserts, it was easier to spot it in the "repeat" interface, where now I only see "coincident" and I have to highlight all the constraint to chose the inserts :(

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back