Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo parametric enhancements

yeah, seems like you don't have access to "flexible modeling" either, i'm wondering why PTC has not offered it in its base package. autodesk has offered its direct editing app for free, 123D. also SolidEdge has a more advanced direct editing capability in its base package.

The Flexible modeling part is a new module that you have to buy, but the freestyle is free. Someone that attended the launch event said to me that they said that its free.

Did you guys check in the PTC setup if its not like the mechanism module that you have to move from the left to the right side when you configure the startup commands.

Maybe request a new license file. It could be that they never added it to you license file.

Edited by: mstols

... I requested a new license before installing Creo 1.0 as I was sure it needs a new license --> here is an exceprt:

#################### FLOATING License ####################
# Serviceable = Creo Parametric (formerly Foundation XE)
# Feature Name = PROE_FoundationAdv
# Feature Version = 32.0
# Number of Copies = 1
# Expiration Date = permanent
# Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE for CATIA
# Optional Modules = Pro/FEATURE
# Optional Modules = Pro/DETAIL
# Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE
# Optional Modules = Pro/SURFACE
# Optional Modules = Pro/PLOT
# Optional Modules = Pro/LIBRARYACCESS
# Optional Modules = Pro/ECAD
# Optional Modules = Pro/REPORT
# Optional Modules = Pro/CDT
# Optional Modules = Pro/DATA for PDGS
# Optional Modules = Pro/SCAN-TOOLS
# Optional Modules = Pro/LEGACY
# Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE for STEP
# Optional Modules = Pro/WELDING
# Optional Modules = Pro/PHOTORENDER
# Optional Modules = Pro/WEB PUBLISH (> OR = 18.0)
# Optional Modules = Pro/SHEETMETAL-DESIGN
# Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE for CADDS 5
# Optional Modules = 4DNavigator License
# Optional Modules = Import Data Doctor
# Optional Modules = Design Animation
# Optional Modules = ModelCHECK License
# Optional Modules = Pro/ASSY_PERFORMANCE

I double checked the "left to right" as mechanism ... but nothing. So I will first try to request another license, then contact support

Stephan

mstols said:
the freestyle is free. Someone that attended the launch event said to me that they said that its free..
The only thing they announced as free is "Creo Sketch" a freehand sketching tool.

I just got a mail from tech support and it is free. mine works fine, just requested a new license file.

Copied from tech support mail I received:"

Freestyle available as part of Creo 1.0
and is free of charge. All one needs to do is to cut a new license pack and it
should be there."

Thats great,Freestyle definitly gives creo parametric surfacing users an advantage over solidworks or any other CAD apps.

I got new licenses when i downloaded Creo. That's weird that it wasn't in those. They expect you to specifically request a license with Freestyle in it? Looks like it because that's what I'm doing right now.

Very unstable - I've lost count of how many times it's Pro/CLOSED (Creo/CRASHED?) on me the last few days.

I like the shade with edges on the white background, but the other colors aren't easy to get used to if your used to the Wildfire scheme.

Edited by: mgnt8

Just to clarify the licensing issue over Freestyle and Trace Sketch.

These capabilities are offered as standard in Creo Parametric. Unfortunately there was an issue with the licenses being generated at PTC and Freestyle was omitted.

This issue has now been corrected. To access Freestyle simply re-request your license and you will automatically get Freestyle.

Thanks

Ok I hade the time to check Creo 1.0 a bit more... I won't speak about modeling as I only played with the interface, but I wasn't able to get the "old style" edges on...

If I enable "shade with edges" edges are only black, AND they have solid tangent lines. To get rid of tangent lines in shaded view I can select "tangent line off" but in that case when I select a part in an assy or I view the part in hidden line mode, no tangent lines are present and it's really difficult to tell what part is highlighted!

So now to pleas all the Solidworks users I'm stuck with models with solid tangent edges :(

Paolo

There is a settings to show tangent edges as phantom, but apparently it only works when you select a surface.very un-useful. BTW, black tangent edges, is helpful for visualizing parts. why in the world would you like to turn it off?
smiley2.gif

the most annoying thing when working with Creo or ProE is that it pre-highlights hidden background edges or faces without query select.
smiley7.gif

Edited by: solidworm

solidworm said:
There is a settings to show tangent edges as phantom, but apparently it only works when you select a surface.very un-useful.

Exaclty

BTW, black tangent edges, is helpful for visualizing parts. why in the world would you like to turn it off?

for me it's helpful when there's at least a visual clue between sharp and tangent edges. I usually keep tangent edges off in shaded mode, because it allows me to better see where there's a (maybe very smail) radius, where there's a tangency problem and where there is a sharp edge.

Paolo

I just found a TS Bulletins on the PTC Support Center:

Resolved
- Critical Issue Regarding Creo 1.0: Inability to Access

So, looks like:

Creo Engineer I = Foundation XE
Creo Engineer II = Advanced SE
Creo Engineer III = Advanced XE
Creo Engineer IV = Enterprise SE

Or pretty close anyway.

Pretty slick, but that direct editing requires an add on, right? It's not part of the standard package.

its an extension, "Creo Flexible modeling" which is included in all 4 types of licenses according to the chart above.

so how do you access the Flexible modeling menu?

I am unable to find it, and I hope I dont have to re-order
the license pack like I had to do for freestyle modeling.
Its getting a little annoying now.

We just renewed our maintenance on 6/13 and were told that Flex modeling will be an extra cost add on for $1800 to buy, $300/yr. maintenance.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back