Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo parametric enhancements

solidworm said:
My first SubD modeling in creo guys!

I love this thread, hope I can download Creo soon... but I'm still puzzled with SubDs in CAD software :D It looks so much like modeling in Lightwave or 3DStudio, and I always thought that proper surface modeling was much better and more controlled than SubDs modeling... anyway it's good for "organic" designs :)

Paolo

zpaolo said:
solidworm said:
My first SubD modeling in creo guys!

I love this thread, hope I can download Creo soon... but I'm still puzzled with SubDs in CAD software :D It looks so much like modeling in Lightwave or 3DStudio, and I always thought that proper surface modeling was much better and more controlled than SubDs modeling... anyway it's good for "organic" designs :)

Paolo
Thanks Paolo, there are some good video tutorials on Tspline website to learn the methodology, if you're planing to use freestyle in Creo or if you want to better understand them. it's great for modeling organic shapes as you mentioned and the surface quality is guaranteed to be G2, without even thinking about it.

Edited by: solidworm

solidworm said:
it's great for modeling organic shapes as you mentioned and the surface quality is guaranteed to be G2, without even thinking about it.

Yes, that's true, although in some situations G2 continuity is not guaranteed (for example if you have a vertex with 5 edges, that's one of the thing SubDs modelers tend to avoid :) ). I'm waiting to check how modeling in SubDs is implemented in Creo, in software like Lightwave or Modo you have a lot of specialized tools to manage SubDs that are basically polygonal modeling tools for knifing, multiplying faces, extruding sections, selecting edge loops etc, don't know if it will be like that in Creo too.

Paolo

Just one question, what is the maximum degree of NURBS curves that Creo can manage? I think Pro|E was stuck with degree 3 NURBS curves, is it correct? I have an IGES file that is made by four revolution surfaces, each generated from a 4 degree NURBS curve and when imported in Creo Elements|Pro 5.0 it shows surfaces as single spans, does that mean that the degree is maintained or could this imply that the curve has been reduced to a lower degree? How can you tell this?

Paolo

Paolo, as far as i know, ProE can handle surfaces upto degree 15 (in u and v direction), but when you import a higher than 3 degree surface, it recalculates it and turns it into a 3 degree surface by default, i don't know how to change this default behavior. you can change the degree and segmentation in IDD (repair mode,math properties), it recalculates the surface to your input (degree and segmentation), tangency or curvature of the surface will be refreshed too i think, and they might be different than the original surface.
as for the curves that you make surfaces from, surface edges do not have the same math properties as the curves, I've tried changing the accuracy, and the number of spline points the edge has, changes. see here"
[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42 704&PN=3&TPN=2[/url]
other cad apps probably behave t he same.
i don't think this is changed in creo, i'll have a look at it.

Hey solidworm -

I dont see "trace sketch" option on my version. Is it
available on a Foundation license?

its under view tab,model display group. I'm not sure about the licensing:
trace_sketch.png

no,its only available inside freestyle environment.(freestyle is part of creo parametric)

I downloaded the CREO 1.0 parametric software and started "playing": I originally had the foundation XE license so the license is now showing "#PROE_FoundationAdv 1 Creo Parametric (formerly Foundation XE) Creo 1.0 Flt Lic perm ".

The freestyle feature is not available ,,, [Message shows up ... German]: "Optionales Modul Freestyle_Design_Extension nicht bestellt; kontaktieren Sie bitte Ihren Vertriebspartner." ... so I this is not part of the Foundation XE ... at least not for me ... although I heard some rumours before :-(

The "trace sketch" is not available too.

Stephan

you are right Stephan. I have the same situation. So cant
use "trace sketch" or freestyle modeling. I guess we would
be fairly naive to expect PTC to hand that over to us for
free.

zpaolo said:
solidworm said:

Great, exactly the kind of tools you find in "freeform" modelers... but can you switch between the "smooth" surface and the polygon mesh? Also does Creo implement subD or Tsplines? there's a slight difference...

Paolo
no, there's no tool to select working in smooth mode or polygon mode, at least in this first release. the polygon mesh is displayed as a wireframe, on which all the pulling and pushing takes place, and the smooth result is generated, which is a nurbs surface. pure subd and polygon surfaces do not have a manufacturing value as you know (they only display as a smooth surface). Tsplines, CATIA's "imagine and shape" workbench, and freestyle are all identical in terms of the underlying technology, i think.

How is everyone getting creo parametric? Downloading never works for us so we always order the CD media. I went to the dowloads and obtained WF5 M090 thinking it was creo, but it's not.

solidworm said:
Paolo, as far as i know, ProE can handle surfaces upto degree 15 (in u and v direction), but when you import a higher than 3 degree surface, it recalculates it and turns it into a 3 degree surface by default, i don't know how to change this default behavior.

I just checked with WF5.0 M090, imported my IGES, copied the surfaces and exported them again in IGES. The result is that the B-Spline curve is degraded from degree 4 to degree 3, this is bad because I really need it to be 4 degree :/ I checked with Inventor and the IGES produced maintains the degree of the curve.

Some other insights: when you create a curve in style or sketch with only two points and activate "control points" you see there are 4 cps, that probably means that the "default" curve is a degree 3 curve. It would be nice to be able to use a 2 degree curve too, with only three control points, but I can't find an option.

Paolo

Edited by: zpaolo

TMPENG said:
How is everyone getting creo parametric? Downloading never works for us so we always order the CD media. I went to the dowloads and obtained WF5 M090 thinking it was creo, but it's not.

It shows up in the list as Release Creo 1.0. Check with those who manage your licenses and then with PTC.

<a name="186384"></a> zpaolo said:
It would be nice to be able to use a 2 degree curve too, with only three control points, but I can't find an option.
that would be a rho controlled conic, if i'm not mistaken, the third control point is at the intersection of start and end tangent lines.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back