Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

new user friendly Creo/e... FAIL

Plenty of menu manager left in drawing - its that weird
WF5 combination of Ribbon and Menu manager.

2 major code revisions and its still not finished. Still
stuck with the archaic pen setup and another change in
the color palette. Still does beautiful drawings though.

What's peoples thoughts on the new color palettes? - this
is the hardest stuff to get used to.

Edited by: moriarty

Mindripper said:
Another one (preview of completed change) was added to SW a few years ago. This is real change: change for the better. There is hope for Creo Parametric (which we know as
Pro/Engineer): it seems PTC is trying to upgrade the product, not simply replace it with CoCreate.

The preview in Creo is one step further than SW2010. I have not used SW2011 so I don't know if they improved preview in that release.
The preview in Creo 1.0 is the same when you first make the feature or if you do a change. It's like SW Instant 3D within the command. Please note that it's instant, you do not need to click on a preview button to see the result.

Extrude preview SW vs Creo

View attachment 5333

View attachment 5334

Fillet/Rounds preview Sw vs Creo

View attachment 5335

View attachment 5336

Mindripper said:
I second the motion for a robust 'undo': it has saved me many hours in SW (which has a very robust 'undo'). Yeah, it has been thirty years since my first CAD class (CADAM), and I am still trying to get the software to cooperate..

Mindripper, there are many areas in SW where the Undo doesn't work and I believe I read on Mike Puckets blog that SW users weren't happy at all about the Undo command.

Here's one comparison between SW vs Creo. It's the same funcionality in WF5. I don't know how many versions this goes back in WF.

SW2010 where the Undo is greyed out and you can't undo or redo geometry selections.

View attachment 5337

Creo 1.0 where you can Undo or Redo geometry selections within a command.

View attachment 5338

You can improve the above display quality with anti-
aliasing which now works, its found under
File>Options>Entity Display>Show Smooth Edges

With edge display turned on you get thick model edges -
thin jaggies with it off. This also works in drawings which
is very nice.
Edited by: moriarty

Hey all:

You're gonna have to help me out here. I've been laid off since 3/09, hence out of the "new stuff" loop. I have WF2 on my home computer that works great. What is so much better in the new stuff? Sounds, from all I can glean on this site, like my WF2 is great! Simple, as Pro/E is, fast, powerful. What more can you want?

Did you hear the story of the Software Engineer at PTC who was hauled into the bosses office for under achieving. The boss told him that he didn't know where he had worked before he started work on 3D modelling but he obviously had no idea about what users wanted, how they worked or the jobs they did. He was sure that every ounce of logic had he might have once had was scrambled and all thecode he wrote was riddled with bugs. The boss finished by saying that he had no place in his department for someone like him and that he was transferring him to theDetailing department where he would fit in with everyone else.

smiley36.gif

Roger said:
Hey all:

You're gonna have to help me out here. I've been laid off since 3/09, hence out of the "new stuff" loop. I have WF2 on my home computer that works great. What is so much better in the new stuff? Sounds, from all I can glean on this site, like my WF2 is great! Simple, as Pro/E is, fast, powerful. What more can you want?

New bugs, crappy ribbon user interface. Seriously, there is very little that you can not do in WF2. Maybe it is a little easier in Creole but that is debatable.

"crappy ribbon user interface" to avoid it youll have to
give up computing. Office 2010 and most new softwares have
embraced it.

I generally find it an improvement - except when the tool
set gets split over multiple tabs. Drawing is a case in
point.

Why cant it automatically swap to the correct tab when you
click on different objects?

moriarty said:
"crappy ribbon user interface" to avoid it youll have to

give up computing. Office 2010 and most new softwares have

embraced it.

mr bill has been bought off by the orthopedic surgeons making their boat payments from carpel tunnel operations.

Right mouse button click supersedes the ribbon in some cases. It looks like adding dimensions, adding new drawing views, and retrieving tables are all available no matter which tab you're in.

This was probably some kind of workaround to alleviate the problem of certain commands being locked in certain tabs. The problem now is I need to have all the commands in the right mouse button click.

Maybe if you could hit a hot key to bring each tab up? That would at least save a mouse click.

Just curious; When I'm having a problem with Intent Manager, I simply pick on the Sketch pulldown and uncheck Intent Manger. Is this still an option for this Old School designer?

mgnt8 said:
Right mouse button click supersedes the ribbon in some cases. It looks like adding dimensions, adding new drawing views, and retrieving tables are all available no matter which tab you're in.

This was probably some kind of workaround to alleviate the problem of certain commands being locked in certain tabs.

This is the way right mouse button should work, that is it should be completely independent from ribbon states, and dependent only on "context". But not context in the sense "the tab you are in" but context in the sense "the thing/graphics/area you are hovering with the mouse". The main and fundamental flaw of ribbon and right mouse button in WF5 (maybe it's correct now in Creo Parametric) is that it requires YOU to switch context, while the software should be smart enough to adapt the RMB to the "context" you are working on (if I right mouse click over a view, even if I'm not in the correct set, I should be able to add a projected view with the right mouse menu)

Paolo

Hello all, I just recently upgraded to this Creo 1.0 and have a question about the dang message log. I won't purchase the ISD extension and I keep getting a message with every click anywhere on the screen pretty much that says Option Interactive_Surface_Design not ordered, please contact your sales representative.
Please check "File->Creo Application Options->Licensing" or Visit http://www.ptc.com/support/apps/sw_trial to try out options. I was just wondering if this is happening to anyone else and if so how the heck to get rid of the message without buying the extension.....is there a way to hide certain messages from showing up in the message log?

I get that error all the time too. I've looked into it quite a bit, but all I have discovered it what seems to cause it. It only happens for us once we activate the "View" tab. If we do anything but activate the View tab, it never shows up. Once View has been clicked, it shows up (in what appears to be) randomly. We are talking with PTC at the moment, but they don't have a good answer yet.

The most perplexing thing is we DO own IDSX!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back