Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

new user friendly Creo/e... FAIL

whatttup_G

don't know who's selling this pitcher of kool aid, maybe i'm an unimportantold dinosaur with decades of time on pro,but i now struggle with every other click in all the popular modes... could the tab selection inthe new drawing modebe any less helpful? any more cumbersome? could the entire object/action approach be any bigger of a failure? is there anything less helpful than burying all 9 sketcher constraints into a single revolving button that makes you flyout the menu every single time you needconstraints??? wtf, does my carpel tunnel need to aim at that itsy bitsy triangle every stinking time????? not really, however now my head hurts as much as my arm... good thing all the action/object word menu's are all gone and integrated into buttons now... well except for some dimensioning.. and section view creation... errr and the hidden fact that the modify menu is still present, if you happen to have kept your #MODIFY mapkey handy from 4 versions ago... what a debacle

the constant struggle to figure out what gear to shift into or where the buttons all went or why the mapkeys don't work anymoreis mind boggling, if it weren't for the ALT key workaround for drawings, i would be considering giving up... honestly its likesome sicktest to see how purefrustration can make youdo something that you would never ever do normally... its like i love my job, i loved my software, and even thoughi am ultimately hurting myself tosay this, its in the forefront of my mind, to the point of insane obsession... itslike the SAW movies only in Creo, you don't get to kill the other guy to escape, there's no where to go, just you chained to the bathtub.. one shell.. one 12ga.. gosh, wonder how this will wind up

PTC are you here? are you listening? i know my direct line to you guys aren't, i have that, they're seriously connected to you guys.. however they areall a bunch of fanboy's who gobble up every word you say and worship your ground.. they are all about blaming the user and never seem to find fault with your software.. my dollar says you're surrounded by these types, because someone has to have convinced you that this flaming pile of dung is an improvement right? otherwise, why would you have released it right??? again, dumbfounded here.. i'm pushing F1 if you haven't noticed, send help ok?? oh except please don't send help in the form of your help center, i'll never figure out where to look.. you'll probably leave out the menu mapper anyways..

oh and a quick note on the 90 min plus webcast for Creo 1.0 or whatever it was i saw online... the one that starts out with the angonizingly long march of prisoners, that heinous siren that feels like its nevergoing to stop... well i figured out what that was all about, the prisoner is me,you're putting mein a cage, and i'm going to sit there and rot until i buy into the dream that all the canned demo's in the world make my chosen software the greatest thing there is, because it has some hick latin name, and someone somewhere decided that 2D sketching is the new wave of coolness... does anyone there work in the real world? you guys obviously worked forever on that infomercial, how about pouring a similar effort it to repairing the state of affairs that is wildfire or creo or elements or direct modeling or whatever... call it what you want, just please make it stop sucking worse with every release... please, some of ususeour paychecks to feed our kids... please
Edited by: whatttup_G

The ribbon is a lot better in Creo especially in sketcher. All the constraints are right there.
In the model you still have to click around the tabs to get to the selections but there's now the quick access toolbar above the ribbon where you can park commands that will always be there.

View attachment 5185

so... is the toolbar area to the right no longer there? looks like all the buttons on it are in the ribbon you pictured

either way, praise be, i guess there is hope
smiley32.gif

Like everything else from Micro Dung, they'll get the ribbon right on the 3rd version. Then they'll drop it for something worse.

i think the mapkeys actually still work, its drawing mode thats busted

LMMFAO at dr gallup's sig... brilliant sir!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Constant crashing now. Not even close to being as stable as Wildfire 5.0.
Pretty much have to save everytime you switch from one window to the next or risk losing your work.
Who the hell did they get to beta test this thing I wonder?

Resource hog. Waiting a long time for rounds to generate that were instant in WF 5.

Imported data is ugly. STEP files that come in clean as a whistle in WF 5 look like they went thru a blender in Creo.

Edited by: mgnt8

its probably not compatible with your graphics card driver, try updating it. i guess those problems will resolve after the update.

Hey, my seat of WF2 works great. I have WF3 in the safe, however, if you think that I'm going to pay PTC a penny to use it, forget it!

solidworm said:
its probably not compatible with your graphics card driver, try updating it. i guess those problems will resolve after the update.

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/127428/en/creo1_hw_notes.pdf

Yeah looks like you're right

Currently installed graphics card is only certified for opengl 1.5. Creo 1.0 needs opengl 3.1.

So this Creo revolution we've been hearing about for the past year involves substantial upgrades. So far the tally is $5000 for Direct, $1800 for Flexible Modeling, $1000 for new graphics card.

mgnt8 said:
So this Creo revolution we've been hearing about for the past year involves substantial upgrades. So far the tally is $5000 for Direct, $1800 for Flexible Modeling, $1000 for new graphics card.

Stopping the endless crashing: Priceless.

dr_gallup said:
Stopping the endless crashing: Priceless.

smiley36.gif

Remember back in the pre-wildfire releases when you'd hit regenerate and then go to a
coffee break hoping that by the time you get back it would be complete.

You can add new computer to the list. I have 64 bit, 12 GB RAM, and a 4 core W3580 @ 3.33 GHz and I'm spending A LOT of time staring at simple rounds regenerate. The real time geometry updates are a real drag on the system.

Have you tried setting OpenGl Phonng shading off? it wasn't available in Wildfire. it may reduce your crashes.
enable_opengl_shader=no

I stand corrected

Just updated to drivers that support opengl 4.1.

World of difference. Real time geometry updates are glorious. Creo is the gretest thing since sliced bread.
smiley31.gif

Edited by: mgnt8

That didn't last long.

Upgraded to Quadro 2000 D and unchecked enable_opengl_shader but constant crashing continues. Every time I switch windows is like playing Russian Roulette. When does Creo 2.0 come out?

I know this isn't what people want to hear but you can't expect to be efficient in a new release without some time to come up to speed with proper training.

Also, mapkeys aren't supported to work from release to release, often you have to recreate mapkeys as menu navigation has changed.

I fully expect there to be quirks and bugs in the first release that will prevent implementation on an enterprise scale. However, I don't expect the thing to flat out not work.

There are things that Pro/E Wildfire 5.0 can do that Creo can not. They have a lot of work to do. I would consider Creo 1.0 to stillbe at pre-production level.

mgnt8 said:
There are things that Pro/E Wildfire 5.0 can do that Creo can not.

Out of curiosity, what sort of things are you referring to? I've found quite a few bugs and things that could have been done better,but haven't stumbled accross anything that just flat out doesn't work.

mgnt8 said:
Upgraded to Quadro 2000 D and unchecked
enable_opengl_shader but constant crashing continues.
Every time I switch windows is like playing Russian
Roulette. When does Creo 2.0 come out?

Somehow I think PTC tested switching windows
smiley36.gif

The 2000 is listed by PTC and used by HP and Dell - the
2000D is not - maybe thats your problem.

Whats with the D in any case?

Edited by: moriarty

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back