Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

new user friendly Creo/e... FAIL

kdem said:
Next Spring.

Holy Moses it'll be a long winter

Atropos89 said:
Out of curiosity, what sort of things are you referring to? I've found quite a few bugs and things that could have been done better, but haven't stumbled accross anything that just flat out doesn't work.

Imported data is a mess. I don't know if it's the new interface or what, but it's handled much better in wildfire. Don't see how that can be a graphics issue.

moriarty said:
The 2000 is listed by PTC and used by HP and Dell - the
2000D is not - maybe thats your problem.

Whats with the D in any case?

The specs on Nvidia's website are almost exactlythe same for both. The only difference is different dual link DVI support and digital outputs which shouldn't have anything to do with how it works with the software.

Edited by: mgnt8

Is this discussion about Creo Parametric (which we know as
Pro/Engineer), or is it some other software product, such as Creo
Elements/Direct (which we know as CoCreate)? As a Pro/E user, some of
the menus and their contents shown in the postings with screen dumps appear unfamiliar to me, but perhaps they
have relabeled/reorganized the menus in Pro/E Post-Wildfire (aka Creo
Parametric). Regardless of what product is being described, it certainly doesn't sound like it's ready for prime time.

For once, I am so happy that my employer will not be 'upgrading' our PTC
software much within the next few years. While we are still on WF3 (and
upgrading to WF4 'soon', which means within a year or two), Creo isn't
even on the horizon. Perhaps we will abandon PTC entirely before we go
there: I can only hope.

Mindripper - perhaps you should threaten to sue your
employer for damage to mental health - that will accelerate
the shift from ProE
smiley36.gif

Not quite sure what PTC are thinking with releasing CREO1
and then a significantly different CREO2 a year later -
maybe its to get User feedback (debugging) underway. I can
see a lot of people not moving at all or maybe just to WF5.

Edited by: moriarty

I'm curious as to what you think will be 'significant;y different' in Creo 2.0 than Creo 1.0?

Mindripper - I'm not sure if the original poster was looking at Creo/Elements Pro (WF5) or Creo 1.0 Parametric. It sounded more like WF5, but many of the replies are talking about Creo 1.0, I think.

Have you taken a look at the thread here on Creo 1.0? Looks like some very promising things. I hope to play with it myself, finally, next week.

Didnt think the full module system was rolled out 'til CREO
2 - Rendering, Manufacturing etc. 2D Layout and Sketch
modules are supposed to be in CREO1 - anyone know where
they are ?

maybe Menu Manager will be gone in CREO2 as well
smiley2.gif

design-engine said:
I vote for an expert mode.... so one does not have to click <okay> or are you sure your <okay>.

I second that thought. I don't need a confirmation for sending files to the recycle bin, so I'm sure I can handle completing or cancelling features with little to no regret. Hell, if the undo functionality were more robust in that it had the potential to undo everything you did, then PTC wouldn't need to worry about if we were "okay" or not.

I got an e-mail from PTC last week, touting ten new features in Creo Parametric (which we know as
Pro/Engineer): it looked promising. So apparently there are indeed some new features: it isn't simply rebranded. At least two of these features that are new to Creo Parametric (which we know as
Pro/Engineer) have been in SolidWorks since at least 1999: dark edges and extrude with draft. Another one (preview of completed change) was added to SW a few years ago. This is real change: change for the better. There is hope for Creo Parametric (which we know as
Pro/Engineer): it seems PTC is trying to upgrade the product, not simply replace it with CoCreate.

I second the motion for a robust 'undo': it has saved me many hours in SW (which has a very robust 'undo'). Yeah, it has been thirty years since my first CAD class (CADAM), and I am still trying to get the software to cooperate..

Well, to be fair, Pro/E has had Shaded With Edges for a while. It just wasn't easy to find in the menu structure.

Atropos89 said:
Well, to be fair, Pro/E has had Shaded With Edges for a while. It just wasn't easy to find in the menu structure.

That's not the same as having the dark edges that for some reason the salidworks users love so much. While it can be accomplished in Pro/E going back many releases, it involves setting the part to one dark color ant then setting all the surfaces to lighter color(s). This had to be redone every time the part was modified in any way that added more surfaces.

To me, this is the biggest "who gives a damn" issue ever, but the poor saladworks users cry about it constantly. Along with shaded tangent lines! Cry me a river.

I'm officially referring to PTC's latest release as Creo -1.0.
It needs a little more time in the oven.

dr_gallup said:
moriarty said:
maybe Menu Manager will be gone in CREO2
as well
smiley2.gif
That'll be the day!
smiley36.gif

Its quite interesting how the overhaul of Menu Manager is
being implemented ...

Some tools now have TWO interfaces - for example SWEPT
BLEND. If you open up an old feature you get the old MM
interface; if you create a new feature you get the new
interface. You actually have to manually redo the feature
in the new interface to use the new interface. I guess
this gives backward compatibility.

This is present in WF5 and CREO1.

Mgnt8 - what problems are you encountering with CREO-1 ?

moriarty - that is interesting. I wouldn't think they would need to use the old managers, because the commands should do the same stuff. I guess it's not all GUI upgrades and they are actually changing the tools around a bit.

I suspect there are many more than just ten enhancements, but these among the ten that PTC chose to promote. It seems there is hope for improvements to Pro/E. I doubt my employer will be abandoning Pro/E any time soon due to it's legacy around here, but we are the last division still running it.

And it sounds like there is a new mix of menu management techniques going on within the program. Consistency in workflow has been a shortcoming of Pro/E for years (esp. with the advent of Wildfire): is it taking on yet another unfortunate dimension?

Actually, they are nearly to a menu manager-free interface. Most things are the ribbon interface, which is loads better than the menu manager. I think their idea with Wildfire was to switch out of the old system, but they are only nearly there with Creo.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back