Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Forum Quality

Jason

I agree with the "BOZO" idea. I think you should add 4 or 5 moderatorJUST to move of (topic) messages to "BOZO". There moderators or originators can fix and put back to the proper mainstream forum. Just my two cents

Nah, don't burden the moderators.

(2 pence worth?)

Put it in Bozo (or a more PC heading, locked or unlocked; to be ignored unless you're bored) and PM the originator. They have the option of leaving it there or delete and post with an appropriate heading and in the appropriate group.

PMs could also politely suggest using the search function if repetitious or ....

Whoever is moving the post (a macro)?

------------------------------

.... and the group could be called something like "Errata" or "Beginner's Luck". Could be a FIFO bin so it doesn't consume a lot of space...

I just don't think the moderators' (free time?) should be taxed with a lot of tedium. If it's something as simple as running a script that moves a post and PMs the originator a notification and a reminder to read the rules (I need to myself)? Do-able deal?

Edited by: jeff4136

I agree with Jeff
This Brian's"bozo" idea is great, this way we could keep forum "clean" from bad posts, and this post could be fixed later and put in forum circulation.

As for name, hm what you think about "Suppressed"? (because thread are suppressed not deleted) association to ProE
smiley2.gif

I have added some checks when a users creates a new topic. The user must check two checkboxes, one for General Rules, the other for Subject Headings - Be Specific with links to each. Please let me know what you think.

I'm still mulling over the bozo/purgatory/suppressed/black hole forum for topics in probation. I think it's funny more than anything.Any more comments on this?
Edited by: administrator

Wait'n see how the additional checks work out?

Don't want to become known as "you know; the anal retentive group at McadCentral".
smiley2.gif

Brian...

Not trying to go off topic.. but are you the only active moderator for the forums ? ( apart from Jason that is ).

Seems you have alot of work ahead of you...

Consider me an occasional moderator... I don't visit the site every day and I certainly don't read many threads that I wouldn't read otherwise...

but when I noticed stuff that is out of place, I try to fix it (or when users hit the "report" button, I sometimes act...)

I have no way of knowing how many other mods exist or how active they may be.

-Brian

Brian_Adkins said:
Consider me an occasional moderator...
I don't visit the site every day and I
certainly don't read many threads that
I wouldn't read otherwise...
I have no way of knowing how many other mods
exist or how active they may be.

smiley17.gif

In light of that and, I guess, all moderators are
volunteering their time, as well; I wonder if putting
a "Stoopid" button on each page would help? Users
could then trigger, at some predefined number of
stoopid ratings, an automated transfer to the
Stoopid Group.
smiley17.gif

Funsies aside; a tip (?) ...

I was thinking along the lines of an improved search engine
for the forum (this one is pretty crude or do I need to read
a syntax help page?) and realized that Google's Advanced search
page can be limited to return hits from specific urls, which is
cool 'cause I can construct some pretty complex searches for
this site only.

... and a question ...

Is it realistic to wish for a better search engine (actually,
a user rating system for "content quality" and filters comes
to mind for this application, too) or, possibly, the integration
of an existing search engine into the forum's structure?

(I really don't mean to sound too critical. Sometimes when I
go off my meds, though .... It's interesting to watch prouser's
exploder / forum growing pains, as well. You folks keep up the
good work.)

tazbaby said: "Eh?"

Basically, it's a legitimate post with about a dozen replies that don't say anything. The one (?) link posted is nothing more than an advertisement.

It's typical of the chatter that makes forums a poor source of information unless there's someone working to keep the hay out of the floor so seekers can find the needle.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back