Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Forum Quality

One set of rules for both new & old members... as it has been... Though i still haven't found the rule that states that new members MUST search the forums before posting a question.

Sure if itsa newb question it probably has been posted before... but surley instead of throwing them out on their backside let them know where to look, point them in the right direction...

You will find that most will appreciate it and stop the daft posts !!

As a moderator, I routinely find duplicate postings (in multiple forums) and posts in the wrong forums.

Duplicate postings: I typically close whichever thread has the fewest responses and post a final note in the post as to why it was closed and point them to the forum rules if appropriate.

Posts in the wrong forums: I typically move the post to the correct forum and post a note in the thread about the move.

Post with inapproriate titles: I have recently begun renaming these titles and leaving the posts in place, assuming that the post content is still relevant to the forum. Unfortunately, I don't think the thread-starting users have the ability to alter the title once it has been set.

@ Brian

Now that sounds reasonable... It just seems that this thread was turnin into a "witch hunt" of sorts.. Or am i just reading it wrong ??

I think the moderators of MCAD do a great job, so why try and fix something that isnt broken ??
Edited by: tazbaby

a "witch hunt" is just a term used to say that your looking for something that isnt there.. and yes.. i have read the entire thread

tazbaby,

That thread appears legitimate to me.

//edit// My mistake... I now see the reference to the eDonkey stuff...

-Brian

Edited by: Brian_Adkins

It was specifically stated that he isillegally downloading proe ... which is against rules... and also one of the things mentioned earlier ( by you on page one of this thread) in this thread !(8. Any reference to cracked software is prohibited ) surely this is the same !

I noticed that youve already put ya foot in it with one newb who had searched the forums before posting their question.

Leave it to the moderators !

tazbaby said:
Just a thought... But do we really want to appear so harsh to new members that they are put off joining ??

I'm not sure what (social club?) "joining" is worth. I come here for the content.

Actually, if someone would start a news reader interface forum that allowed binaries and had some high quality traffic I'd tend to spend most of my time there. That little flashy TAC banner is going to trigger an epileptic fit someday.
smiley36.gif

I just spent time be searching forum for tips about metallic parts and
some kind of visualization of them

jeff4136 said:
Actually, if someone would start a news reader interface forum that allowed binaries and had some high quality traffic I'd tend to spend most of my time there.

Actually, jeff4136, we do have a feature where you can use a News Reader to monitor posts on this website. See http://www.mcadcentral.com/feeds/default.asp.

Believe it or not, I've been monitoring this forum thread and have been contemplating on how to handle these problems. It's good to hear your concern and voices from all sides. Kudos to Brian_Adkins for his moderating. One of the "fixes" is to have more moderators. Perhaps some more education on the "forum rules" which can be tactfully included in Daily Updatesor a newsletter, or "forum tips" can be included on various web pages or on the "Post New Topic" page when they start a new thread. Other than a firing squad, I'm open to suggestions.

> we do have a feature where you can use a
> News Reader to monitor posts on this website.

Super deal (will take a gander) & I thank you; for
all your efforts.

Jason,

Here's one suggestion for dealing with duplicate posts, posts with poor titles, and irrelevant posts in the wrong groups...

Maybe there could be a sub-forum called "Bozo" where we could dump all of these posts. Then the posters could either rename the thread properly, or otherwise 'fix' the thread to make it useable for the group as a whole. Then that person could use the "Report" functionality to request that thepost be moved back into a proper mainstream forum.

...sort of likelimbo. (maybe forum could be called purgatory)

This way , we don't delete the posts (I hate doing that) and they are able to rectify the situation themselves.

just an idea.

-Brian
Edited by: Brian_Adkins

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back