Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Video Card Recommendation

peterbrown77

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent AGP card in the $125-$150 range? I have an older Precision 610 I need to bring up to Wildfire-level performance. It will only be for 6 months or so until the schedule permits its complete replacement with a Precision 650. I've scavenged some parts from another 610, so it will get dual 550Mhz Xeons and 1GB of RAM.

I've been using $139 Wildcat VP560s in these older machines, and they seem acceptable - except I think they've been discontinued. Obviously, I don't want to throw good money after bad, but I worry about the driver compatibility on these consumer-level cards.

Thanks in advance

Peter Brown

I've been running a hacked TI 4800 at home that works excellent with Wildfire, opens up all 15 windows no problem.

Brian

If you don't mind buying a used card run a serch for xgl700 on ebay. You can get them for $89.00 all the time. The 700 is the some as the 900 but with only 64ram. Also, the ATI 8800 E2 card is not bad and you can get it cheap on ebay. I would sell you mine for $50.00

Definately go for the NVIDIA chipset for Wildfire. I have had great luck with them and they are worth the extra cost. Look in the recommended hardware on the PTC site.

jperkins

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back