Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Quiz-2: Frictionless planet

pmack009 said:
Cover the planet in metal then have magnetic shoes.

Genius, absolue genius........

Persaonally this all sounds like science-friction to me (taa daa, I'll be here all week, try the veal)
smiley36.gif

Kev

dross said:
You can't have gravity without friction, because gravity causes friction. Think of how the moon's gravity affects our oceans. This causes friction as the tide moves in and out. If there were no gravity on the moon, this friction would cease. On Earth itself, earth's gravity causes friction in the atmosphere. If gravity were not holding our atmosphere, there would be no friction between it and the Earth as it (the atomosphere) would fly away into space.

Then again, I could be full of friction...
smiley17.gif

I don't think gravity and friction has effect on each other as you said. "gravity causes friction" ???? I am unclear with this statement. Gravity is nothing but a freely falling body attracted by other body i.e. without friction.

"friction would cease" ???? Literally shocked with this statement! Also How the gravity on moon affects friction on earth? friction only comes into picture if two bodies are in contact. Are moon and earth contacting each other.
smiley24.gif
smiley1.gif

Regards,
Deepak

Hi all,

In an aspect I agree with Dross. If gravity exists, definetly friction exists. Here is the reason. Gravity causes particles/bodies to be together. And there will always be cohesive and adhesive forces between any two bodies. That will definetly cause friction. But the question that now arose to me is "will these forces be sufficient to resist the motion (eventhough you use magnetic surface)?"

Note: Using magnetic surfaces is harmful to health
smiley4.gif
. It will magnatise iron in your blood. So better not think of it.

Shankar

shankar_me said:
Hi all,

In an aspect I agree with Dross. If gravity exists, definetly friction exists. Here is the reason. Gravity causes particles/bodies to be together. And there will always be cohesive and adhesive forces between any two bodies. That will definetly cause friction. But the question that now arose to me is "will these forces be sufficient to resist the motion (eventhough you use magnetic surface)?"

Note: Using magnetic surfaces is harmful to health
smiley4.gif
. It will magnatise iron in your blood. So better not think of it.

Shankar

cohesive and adhesive forces between any two bodies? But there is no frictional force, then how come these forces arise.
smiley18.gif

Using magnetic surfaces is harmful to health? I don't think so, I have seen that now a days many people are having some magnetic treatment. Like wearing magnetic neclace, wrist band, etc,.
smiley2.gif

Deepak

Well! Answer this deepak. How are atoms in metallic body held together?

and alsoa TREATMENT if taken UNNECESSARYLY is harmful to health.....

shankar

deepak0132002 said:
dross said:
You can't have gravity without friction, because gravity causes friction. Think of how the moon's gravity affects our oceans. This causes friction as the tide moves in and out. If there were no gravity on the moon, this friction would cease. On Earth itself, earth's gravity causes friction in the atmosphere. If gravity were not holding our atmosphere, there would be no friction between it and the Earth as it (the atomosphere) would fly away into space.

Then again, I could be full of friction...
smiley17.gif

I don't think gravity and friction has effect on each other as you said. "gravity causes friction" ???? I am unclear with this statement. Gravity is nothing but a freely falling body attracted by other body i.e. without friction.

"friction would cease" ???? Literally shocked with this statement! Also How the gravity on moon affects friction on earth? friction only comes into picture if two bodies are in contact. Are moon and earth contacting each other.
smiley24.gif
smiley1.gif

Regards,
Deepak

Apparently, you don't know what causes the tides in Earth's oceans.

It is the gravity of the Moon. The tides in turn create friction against Earth's crust.

If gravity exists, friction exists. If a planet exists, gravity exists. Therefore, a planet cannot exist without friction.

dross said:
Apparently, you don't know what causes the tides in Earth's oceans.

It is the gravity of the Moon. The tides in turn create friction against Earth's crust.

If gravity exists, friction exists. If a planet exists, gravity exists. Therefore, a planet cannot exist without friction.

Hi Dross,
Well! I dont think your analysis is completly correct. Tides and its propagation is not only just because of gravity of moon, but there are other factors too like wind velocity ........etc.
And also one more point Dross! I dont think moon has any effect on the friction on Earth. Though its gravity has effect in the manner you said. But here one point arises. If no friction, how cum tides be produced?
Regards,
Shankar

jbuckl said:
When is this planned for?I need to get ready to hold on tightI think.
smiley1.gif

This is Mission Impossible-2 planned immediately after Mission Impossible-1 (missionto settle on mars).
smiley17.gif

Edited by: deepak0132002

Hey Deepak,

As per the knowledge that I have Saturn is more habbitable than Mars for it seems that the environment on saturn is more like that of earths envirment.
smiley4.gif

Even some of the natural staillites of Saturn have environment similar to that of Earth.

Regards,
Shankar

hi shankar

I completely agree with you. But the thing is as you might have observed in the news this week that a photo showing a lady as an alienhas been observed on mars by the satellite and sent to NASA, which shows the trace of life on mars. The other thing is mars is nearer than SATURN so easy to travel.
smiley36.gif

Edited by: deepak0132002

Deepak,

You are right. But it is not yet completly confirmed that mars is habitale for most of the region on mars is desert and water cannot be seen. Thats what I read in NASA site just a minute ago.
smiley17.gif

Regards,
Shankar
Edited by: shankar_me

We have gravity but no friction (hypothetical I know, but that is the given condition). Wear shoes that roll onsmall balls and carry a hand-held, throttleable ion engine. Just point it opposite the direction you want to go.

vlad1979 said:
If it's like in space, you should throw a weight in the opposite direction you want to move.

This is the best answer I have seen in the form. It,s according to Newton,s third law.

And the Best Answer award goes to vlad1979 for my question.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back