Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Quiz-2: Frictionless planet

deepak0132002

Consider that we live on a planet having zero friction.

Here is the question.

I need to move from one place to another, what should be my strategy to move?

Regards
Deepak

Zero friction, but is there still gravity? If you still have gravity, off the top of the dome... I'd stay be content staying in one place.
Edited by: jelston

I don't think you can have gravity without friction. A planet cannot exist without gravity to hold it together. So a frictionless planet cannot exist.

dross said:
I don't think you can have gravity without friction. A planet cannot exist without gravity to hold it together. So a frictionless planet cannot exist.

I'm not saying you're wrong, first of all. But why do you say you can't have gravity without friction? I would think the other way around. Just wondering what your logic is.

Gravity is the pull from a large mass, i.e. the planet. Friction is when 2 materials rub against each other. So why could we not have gravity without friction??? If you're trying to say it's cause the planet wouldn't stay togther, then surely thats wrong cause it's the molecular bond between particles that hold things together, not friction.

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this and now I have and I'm probably talking s**t.
smiley5.gif

You can't have gravity without friction, because gravity causes friction. Think of how the moon's gravity affects our oceans. This causes friction as the tide moves in and out. If there were no gravity on the moon, this friction would cease. On Earth itself, earth's gravity causes friction in the atmosphere. If gravity were not holding our atmosphere, there would be no friction between it and the Earth as it (the atomosphere) would fly away into space.

Then again, I could be full of friction...
smiley17.gif

dross said:
You can't have gravity without friction, because gravity causes friction.

This is equivalent to saying "you can't have clouds without rain because clouds causerain."

Gravity does cause friction however, F = mu*Normal force (gravity being normal force). Not to say it is the ONLY cause.
Edited by: jelston

You don't need friction to pick up everything your fingers only need to grasp around an object to pick it up. you better have good balance on this planet and I don't think you could swim or fly. jet pack out unless it's proton driven.

My point was that a frictionless planet cannot exist. A planet needs gravity to be a planet and gravity does cause friction. Not it's only source, but a source nonetheless.

Whats ever in your hand would only slip out if its not balanced.
think of a handle your hand would grip around the handle so no need for friction or balance.

If you are in a place like that, see the way you reached there and in the same manner try to find the way the things are moved or related to each other. Perhaps laws of this world will not apply there.

This kind of questions lead Einstein to come up with the theory of relativity. (what would happen if i travel at light speed? what the world will look like?)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back