Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC UK Arrogence

ok,... I stand corrected, and yes, you don't need it when you are in the mechanical design business.

Having only one license in maintenance still aint no solution if you need to follow your customers version (wf2 to wf4) etc

Nick

dojo said:
I cant agree on your statement that everything done with ISDX can be done with normal surfacing.

I'll take that bet, please create a surface with ISDX (WF 3 or before please) and I will match it using standard Pro/Surface techniques -G2 and all! ANY surface created withing ISDX can be created with traditional techniques -this was confirmet to me by the then PM for surfacing and styling at USER a few years ago.. I like ISDX by the way.. but it is too expensive!

Anyway - yeah maintenance cost are completly crazy - we have 6 seats of foundation, 3 AAX 2 ISDX, prismatic milling and a REX seat and I think we pay in excess of

My point exactly.

I heard this week that BAE Systems UKare moving to UG & dumping pro/e.

BAE are major cad users and for PTC to allow this to happen is just beyond any comprehension of arrogence.

They should be bending over backwards to keep clients like these.

Off topic, but I feel i need to defend myself here, why the hostility?

Sjees, you really got to watch how you type things. I ain't turning this into a bet either. It's all about control. I can send you pictures when I get back from a A-side contour surface for a tractor roof, double curved G2 continuity everywhere which was impossible to do in normal surfacing as you LACK the control, change a curve sketch, update, tweakanother curve through points update, split up the surfaces,update, create one big surface, update, etcetc the surfaces created where never smooth or had the right tension or didnt feel right for the industrial designer. It was then done in CDRS which is pretty close to ISDX in no time.

dojo said:
Off topic, but I feel i need to defend myself here, why the hostility?

Abject apologies if I came accross as hostile as it was in no way my intent..
smiley9.gif

anyway, while I still say that any surface which ISDX can create, Pro/Surface can too,I'm sure your surface was a dificult one and I'm sure ISDX / CDRS helped you greatly when trying to achieve your desired result quickly.
smiley1.gif

James

I want to come to the next Pro/E users conference in England. You ever go to those james? I spoke at one back in 2002 and had so much fun. BAE Armor devision is heavy committed to Pro/E because military contracts demand PTC software.

Depending upon which customer demand is... BEA groups in england are ran as separate business units and make decisions upon which is best for making more money. PTC usually wins in the US market.

Edited by: design-engine

Tad off topic here, but can anyone recomend a good UK based training provider?

I'm aware of Optima and Root Solutions, but is there anyone else out there?

we have a presence in the UK but all the guys left to work in INDIA. The reverse commute if you will.

You can sketch a COS in Pro/SURFACE like in ISDX but it's not as dynamic.

I have had my training with Root Solutions and found them very knowledge and helpful. We now have our maintenance with them also. We used to be with another reseller, but the technical support was not as efficient and knowledgeable as Root Solutions.

I was trained by Dave Mead of ptc on V9

He is now at http://www.xptassociates.com/

I can personally recommend him and the crew at xptc.

I have not had training as highas their standard thro any other UK companies, which is five others!

One company sent an intralink expert for anWF update!!! (2 hours late)

Another company sent no trainer at alltill 12.00on a one day mechanism course!!!!

There are some training providers providing very poor value, but not at xpt.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back