Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E shuts down ....

rishidass

I've just installed Pro/E - 2001 on my computer running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. Pro/E was installed successfully. It opens nicely. But ... as soon as I start with a new file, or maybe open an existing part, Pro/E shuts down abruptly. Why??

Please help.

Set your config.pro option to:

GRAPHICS WIN32_GDI

If this works, then you have video card issues. This config option essentially forces Pro/E to use software rendering rather than hardware rendering from your video card.

Also, check your std.out file and see if you have a std.err file as well. These should be located in the directory from where you launched Pro/E (your startup directory).

-Brian

Couldn't of said it better my self.

If win32_gdi dosen't work post the std.out/std.err messages back in the forum and I will see if I can assist you.

Usually if I find the std files I will delete them, let Pro/E do it's crashing and then look for them again (this way you know they are current). Some times it is neccessarry to look for running Pro/E proccesses before the files are generated (if you are not fimilar with them just restart your computer or give them a while to end on their own). If you cannot find the std file you can always search your complete hard driver for std.out;std.err

Yup!! The std.err file does exist... It contains the following message:

WARNING: ABC-CDJZY4BE4TN appears to have the loopback address 127.0.0.1 as IP address

This may imply that processes on ABC-CDJZY4BE4TN may not be able to connect to non-local processes

Can't find pglclock executable to run

Jason, I tried your suggestion, but now Pro/E takes longer to load and the shutting down problem still persists ... I have a computer with P - III 1 Ghz, 256 Mb RAM, on-board graphics card.

P.S. : I simply added the parameter that you suggested to both the config.pro files that I found in the entire Pro/E directory. Was it the correct way to do it?

-Rishi

I had that loopback error before because I had a firewall that stopped Pro/E getting access...

Also - because of running without a network connection the TCP/IP conn. was disabled. There's a registry hack to stop the network sensing.

Once I allowed the various Pro/E processes access, the problem was solved.

Don't know if this applies to you, but it's worth checking any firewalls, network access, etc...

It doesn't appear to be a graphics problem then. You can delete that config.pro option, or change the value to OPENGL (OPENGL is the default). This will turn hardware rendering back on and make Pro/E run much faster (if you get it working!).

As far as your error message is concerned, I'm not exactly sure what that means. My first instinct would be to check your firewall and network access settings, as proed said.

For more information on Autosensing see http://www.proecentral.com/portal/forum/msgDetail.asp?msg_id=2224&for_id=19

Depending your configuration it may or may not be a networking issue. I have found that this std.err message can be a little misleading at times. For example, It will show up along side of the exception code was 17... std.out error that obviously is a graphics issue and has nothing to do with the loopback address. Check the hard drive again for std.out because it's messages are a little more reliable.

What brand of computer do you have?

If you have a firewall installed by all means disable it and see if the issue is still present.

I can think of several other things that prevent Pro/E from launching so please provide more information about your setup.

Well ... I have an assembled computer therefore there is no brand as such. The processor is a genuine Pentium though!

I'm using a locked license server setting (same machine, no networking). The internet etc. runs perfectly fine on the same machine (if it is in any way related to this issue). I've got Sygate firewall running on the machine. Switching it off didn't help though.

-Rishi

The STD.OUT file says the following :

Error loading my font file font.ndx

dbg_err_crash() -- continuing from serious error (ORDER_DEBUG).

Message DB wasn't loaded.

Message not found : Pro/ENGINEER 2001

Please check text tree.

Message not found : Pro/ENGINEER 2001

Please check text tree.

Message not found : PopupSketchCircle

Please check text tree.

Message not found : PopupSketchFillet

Please check text tree.

Message not found : PopupSketchDimension

Please check text tree.

Message not found : Hidden lines will not be displayed.

Please check text tree.

Message not found : Hostname: '%0w'

Please check text tree.

Exception - code was -1073741819.

What is all that garbage supposed to mean??

-Rishi

Sounds like a possible corrupted Pro/E installation... I'd try reinstalling from a CD to a separate loadpoint.

Also, there is a TAN regarding running CADDS5 and Pro/E on the same machine:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/tan/103734.htm

Pro/ENGINEER exits when launching with exception code 1073741819. The splash screen opens then closes and the main Pro/ENGINEER window briefly populates before exiting

Also, I just found this:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/tan/104418.htm

After performing a localized (i.e non english) update of Pro/ENGINEER 2000i2 Build 2000280 on Windows NT over a previous version the program will fail to execute. The std.out file will contain the following error messages:

ERROR - \text\units.sup, line 105: Invalid instruction

Error loading my font file font.ndx

Exception - code was -1073741819.

Alternate Technique

-----------------

Remove the complete Pro/ENGINEER Installation and reinstall Pro/ENGINEER into a new directory.

-Brian Adkins

Good call Brian.

This may sound like the most obvious thing in the world, but before you reinstall make sure you disable any antivirus software, that firewall you spoke of, any any other background apps.

Well guys.... I've already done that reinstalling stuff a couple of times. My computer even blew up last week (lightening) and I had to buy a complete new motherboard, RAM, HDD etc. And after installing Windows, the same thing is happening. Pro/E just doesn't works!

-Rishi

Weelllll .... I can't call PTC coz. I'm not living in the US and making a call to PTC will cost me the same amount it costed me to buy the ********* software!!

Note :********* means wonderful !!

-Rishi

It costs you $5000(US) to call the US... If it helps you get your company's production CAD system working again, then I would think even an expensive call would be worth it. (Assuming this is a licensed copy of Pro/E.....)

However, there are cheaper solutions...

1) You can work entirely over the internet by loggin a call online at PTC's tech support website

2) PTC has phone numbers all over the place...

North America Phone Information

Technical Support

Within the U.S. 800 477 6435

Outside the U.S. 781 370 5260

Europe Phone Information

Customer Care Center - 00 800 PTC 4 HELP or 00 800 78 24 43 57

Technical Support, License Management, Training Registration, Consulting, Invoices

Austria 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Belgium 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Denmark 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Finland 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

France 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

33 4 42 97 00 06 (fax)

Germany 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

49 89 32106 301 (fax)

Ireland 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Israel 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Italy 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Netherlands 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Norway 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Portugal 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Spain 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Sweden 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Switzerland 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

United Kingdom 00 800 PTC 4 HELP

Other countries

(English language support) 44 1252 817 567

Asia and Pacific Rim Phone Information

Technical Support

Australia 1800 553 565

China * 10800 650 8185 (international toll free)

108 657 (manual toll free)

Hong Kong 800 933309

India * 000 6517

Indonesia 001 803 65 7250

97 2 48 55 00 35

Japan 0120 20 9023

81 3 3346 8284 (fax)

Malaysia 1 800 80 1026

New Zealand 0800 44 4376

Philippines 1027 1800 650 7019

Singapore 65 6830 9899

65 6834 1191 (fax)

South Korea 00798 65 1 7078 (international toll free)

080 3469 001 (domestic toll free)

Taiwan 0080 65 1256 (international toll free)

080 013069 (domestic toll free)

Thailand 001 800 65 6213

* Note: Callers dialing from India or China must provide the operator with the respective string. The operator will then connect you to the Singapore Technical Support Center.

China MTF68309729

India MTF68309752

South America Phone Information

Technical Support Brazil 0081 4 550 3790 (Portuguese language Support)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back