Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Lose of time :)

Not sure if this helps.

In 2001, select View > Reorient. From the drop down list, choose Preferences. From here you can have them toggle between trimetric and isometric default orientation. The model rotates between the states as they pick the options.

You can have them specify the config.pro option ORIENTATION to pre-set the desired orientation.

If they still have problems understanding, you can give them the definition of isometric (degrees of rotation about the x, y, and z). Then have them dynamically orient the model to isometric view according to the definition. You can even have them save a view of the model named ISO for future use in drawing views.

Hope this is along the lines of what you wanted.

Point of order:

ISO is an acronym for International Organization for Standardizaton, ISO DOES NOT refer to ISOmetric views.

ISO defines view projection (1st angle), arrow types, text fonts etc, etc, etc

I shudder to think what else you're teaching your students...

By mistake I simply connect that with Isometric view. Ok I admit that

My vocabulary of engl is small, and my writing also - sometimes - but problem is real. My idea to change colour of datum planes is still wish. Problem is only in explanation of that to someone because in default view datum planes is one over other - Ok

Look and decide

http://solair.eunet.yu/~speling/problem.jpg

Speling

Try putting datum axes in at the intersection of each pair of planes, that should add some perspective..

Speling,

Looking at your jpg I don't see any datum planes at all, just 6 yellow lines, 2 triangles. I can definately understand the confusion.

3 datum planes on my machine are 12 lines and are clearly separate planes. One side is yellow and the other side is red to show viewing direction.

What happens when you make an offset datum plane or a rotated datum plane?

jperkins

Once you add some geometry the datum planes will begin to make sense.

The star displayed by Pro/E in isometric mode often causes confusion for new users, but they get to used to it pretty quicky.

A simple start part with some geometry (ie protrusion) will give people a kick-start when they create new objects...

Ok

I know that but maybe someone from PTC decide to make different colours of planes - Ok

This is wish :)

Speling

They do make different colors - yellow for the front & red for the back.

If I had 50 planes in a model you would want to be able to change the color of each one - this would be 100 colors !!!!

I know the kind of problems you are having when you try to explain datum planes.

Here are a couple of things that I used to do when I taught pro/e to first time users:

-click on each of the datum planes (from the model tree) so as they highlight, users can see that these are individual planes and not overlapping geometry

-rotate the part to show the planes are separate, along with this was to create another orientation based on a different view (e.g. dimetric)

-create flat rectangular surfaces on each of the 3 datum planes, this helps a lot when in shaded mode (and you can also assign colours to the surfaces to help explain the front and back concept)

-assemble a cardboard model of the 3 planes intersecting. This helped a lot, especially with AutoCAD users, by having something they could hold in their hands and relate to what they were seeing on the screen. It was also a great visual aid for explaining front and back, and orientation concepts.

These were a few things I did, and for the most part, they worked quite well. But as proed said, once they actually start modelling a part they will pick it up quickly.

Hope this helps

I would create a saved view so that your planes are not lying in the default position. I would then create some protusion which extrudes up from the TOP datum. From this you can spin you model showing the protusion that is fixed to the def datums. I usually explain to people that the protusion is sitting on the TOP datum rather like a shape sitting on a table TOP!!

The cardboard model idea is good and I believe some PTC instructors used to use this method.

Speling,

I can’t do anything to help you, since I don’t write the code for Pro/Engineer - but if it’s any consolation at all, I do understand your request and I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all!

Everything that the other people have said above is perfectly correct – BUT – if anyone has any trouble whatsoever interpreting the “6 pointed star” in the default Isometric View (even if their problem is purely because they are absolute beginners!), and if simply changing the colour of the 3 planes would help them – then why not raise it on the “Wish List”. I thought that’s why there is a “Wish List” forum!

Everyone else who already understands the 3 planes, or works in default Trimetric View, or who inserts Datum Axes to clarify the view - or whatever – could carry on working exactly as they do now.

Seems to me that any suggestion that helps students / new users to understand the interface better can only be a good thing!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back