Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Locating sub-assemblies in a serparate directory

SW

I am adding a sub-assembly to an assembly and want the sub-assembly to remian in a separate directory. Even if the sub-assembly directory is in the main assembly directory (which is te working directory) Pro/E 2001 fails to locate the sub-assembly.

How can I correct this problem without having to load the individual sib-assembly first? Ideally The sub-assembly directory could reside outside the main assembly directory.

Maybe I am missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help,

Sam

If I want the sub-assembly directory to be nested inside the main, working directory will I have to do that every time I start work on a new assembly?

Thanks again,

Sam

The ProE search path is quite literal. It only looks for files where you specifically tell it to. It will not automatically search into sub directories. So yes you do have to tell it everytime you add a new directory to search there. Instead of added repeated search_path entries in the config.pro you can use a search path file which is easier to edit and doesn't clutter your config.pro with seach_path entries.

If for instance you work on several projects, and naturaly you put them in several different directories. And you create one search.pro file which is loaded with your config.pro. And you have in every project in some directory, for instance part with the name pin.prt. And this pin.prt is a part of a subassembly which is stored in different directory then the working directory from which you are opening the big assembly. When you are opening that big assembly which pin.prt of all of them will be loaded: The first one founded in the search.pro list?

You can create several config.pro for every project you run, and connect every config with its search.pro and it would be ok.

you can create a search.pro file and put all your search paths in this file

In your config.pro create a path called search_path_file and the path would be wherever you put the search.pro

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back