Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Lightning Emails

Yeah, I've been getting them from PTC and the local VAR to the tune of several a week. And I'm registered for the event. Getting silly.

I'm prepared for a pretty big let down, frankly.

big announcement. We finally have the software that IRON MAN was using in the first movie. The VARS all know already... VARS=SALES PEOPLEAnd you got to give sales people something to do.

I signed up for the Webcast ;) Just now.
Edited by: design-engine

They keep pouring in. I hate webcasts, I have real work to do, let me see it when I have time not on PTC's schedule. I have yet to see a webcast that had any added value over a PDF file or a video.

I think I'm going to add project lightning bug to my spam list.

design-engine said:
... The VARS all know already... VARS=SALES PEOPLE ...

Funny, I got a call from a PTC insaide sales guy (to let me know about lightning, as if I haven't gotten enough emails about it) and he said that even the sales guys didn't know any more than we do. And I know that a sales guy would never lie to me ...

they don't know anything anyway. My sales guy tried to tell me the other day that he is not a sales guy. now thats funny. At least I know 'i am' a sales guy.
Edited by: design-engine

Lightening is going to replace Pro/E WildFire.
There will be NO WildFire 6.0 or beyond.
It is going to be a mixture of Co-Create and Pro/E.

Well, they sent me a PDF of "which details some things they will discuss in detail tomorrow". It mostly compares the parametric & direct modeling approaches. The last line is "MASHUP product design".

I'm not too interested in mashing up my nice accurate, controlable geometry with somebodies AutoCAD geometry that has been stretched & pulled & prodded until it has tiny gaps and bits out of position.

10 mins to launch. i liked the music so far.
smiley2.gif

Had no issues here with the webcast.

Creo looks impressive, but I hope that my customers stick with WF5 until several versions of Creo come out. I'm betting anything that ambitious will likely be buggy at first and will have functionality losses in the initial translation from Pro/E Wildfire to Creo.

Couldn't get the webcast to work with Internet Explorer, Chrome connected and worked with the "test" meeting link but it was too late to join the meeting.Argh! Anyway, sounds like a whole new CAD product. Any indication as to whether it's a replacement for CoCreate, Pro/E or both? Big question in my mind is are they going to continue developing the Pro/E product (WF6?) or is Creo going to be their top CAD program now? If so, how much $$$ am I going to have to fork out to get there? Reminds me too much of the death of Intralink 3.x and cost to go to any of the Windchill based PLM products. In other words did they name it "Creo" instead of Pro/Egineer something so they can claim it's a new product and charge existing, maintenance-payingcustomers big bucks to get it.

Arg! I also couldn't get it to work. Had all the requirements, add-ons enabled etc. After 24 minutes of waiting I bailed.
smiley5.gif

Creo replaces everything it seems.
<ul>[*]Pro/E becomes Creo elements/Pro[*]CoCreate becomes Creo elements/Direct[*]Product View becomes Creo elements/View[/list]
The goal is one data set, multiple 'apps' to utilize and manipulate it depending on what you want to do.

Okay... you guys didn't believe me yesterday when I said WildFire 6.0 wasn't going to happen. Now you've seen it for yourself. Told you so.

Doug,

Thanks. From your post and looking at the planetptc web page some others are posting info and screenshots of the web meeting it would seem there is an upgrade path, but if you want the added capabilities you have topurchase the new modules (Direct). That's not really any different than buying a license of CoCreate in the pre-Creo product structure. I will be interesting to see how Pro/E's existing capabilities carry over into Creo & if there are substantial interface and usability improvements (consistency). Also sort of explains why the rep for CoCreate was so hot to sell uslicenses last month.

Erik

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back