Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intent Manager - Alignment & Query Select

dougr

Does anyone know if it's possible to align entities in a sketch using intent manager and does query select exist ??

I was as happy as a pig in sh** with the old sketcher - and still am - and have only recently gone back to look at intent manager out of a healthy curiosity.

It's uncannily similar to SolidWorks sketcher and I waste an inordinate amount of time with that trying to override the assumptions it makes.

You can Impose sketcher constraints such as.

1. Tangent

2. Perpendicular

3. Equal to

4. Colinear

5. Horizontal

6. Vertical

7. Symetrical

And yes the query select does work in the Sketcher mode.

You can also use query select to grab any existing constraint and then hit your 'delete' key to quickly remove it.

-Brian

I thought i'd just add that Query Select is sort of invisible in sketcher mode. If you hold down the right mouse button, a little menu pops up, in which you could select Query Select. But, if you simply tap the RMB, you will also enter Query Select, but there is nothing on the screen to let you know this, sort of invisible query select.

as far as applying constraints, you hit the menu buttons, Sketch, Contraints or their is a mapkey already programmed if you activate the Sketcher Tools menu bar.

Open the constraints dialog box and select the right middle button (shown depressed in the picture below).

View attachment 246

Then select the your centerline, then your datum plane to align to. It should snap into place.

Tip when first starting your sketch with I.M....

If you know that you will be referencing certain pre-existing features such as planes, edges, and surfaces select those when the initial Sketcher References dialog box is open (before you actually begin sketching)

Then, when you go to sketch a centerline, it should automatically snap to any pre-selected references (as should nay other sketched entity). To go back and add more sketcher references later, choose References from the Sketcher menu.

-Brian

Thanks to everyone, I got it now.

I started to use IM back when it was introduced - in 2000i2 I think - I tried it for two days and thought bugger this for a game of soldiers after my productivity fell thru the floor and went back to the old sketcher. Never went back until now.

Still don't like having assumptions made for me, they're probably wrong 80% of the time..

Still don't like having assumptions made for me, they're probably wrong 80% of the time..

As you get better & more familiar with the Intent Manager, you will realize this is not at all true. Sketching with IM will save more time while using Pro/E than any other single improvement to the software.

Here are a few tips I use to make IM your new best friend:

-start your sketch by drawing the shape only, don't worry about the assumed dims or constraints. the assumed dims & cons. always show up GRAY.

-next, start using the Constraints to get rid of any assumed constraints. you will notice that cons. you actually create yourself show up YELLOW.

-finally, add the dimensions. again, assumed dims will be GRAY. replace them with dims. you create, and those will be YELLOW.

here are some tips for using constraints:

-use the Symmetric constraint where ever possible. you can dimension an overall length, then make the 2 endpoints symmetric about a center line (you must DRAW a centerline in order for symmetric con. to work.)

-use the Equal constraint to make line the same length, radii the same radius value, & angles the same.

Hope this helps. I promise once you use IM for a couple days, you will start to see how creative you can get with Constraints & dimension schemes.

Later.

Regarding both Dougr's and gg's last statements, I agree with both of them...

Basically, I recommend sketching the shape, and then adding your own constraints and dimensions... (I just ignore all the gray items).

I try to never leave gray (weak) dimensions or constraints in my sketches, even if that means just turning them from weak to strong (gray to yellow). My feeling is that if I leave any weak items on the screen, then I'm taking a chance with my design intent (or someones future interpretation of my intent if they redefine the sketch in the future)

-Brian Adkins

Am feeling pretty comfortable with IM now, the advice I got here sure helped and my config.pro is now set up to turn IM on.

Brian, I like your advice on weak dimensions, this is the kind of stuff that only comes from seasoned vets.

you can delete any time your strong constrin (yelow), IM will replace that constrain with some weak constrains (grey) and after that you will redo the constrain in you proper way.

On rel. 20 I was frustated about IM, but I learn to see only which I need to see.

For me grey dimensions is mean ... I stil need one ore more constrains for determine the sketch; nothing more.

My 2 cents,

Having been taught how to sketch in another CAD program (UG), I really love the Pro/E sketcher and the IM. Unlike dougr, I think my intent is 80% right when I sketch and it should probably be more once I remember to add the references up front ;-). I 'm a believer.

Steve C

Replace is under Pull Down menu only in 2001. You must choose Edit/Replace. Sometimes Pro/E makes the assumption it knows the entity you just sketched is the one you want to replace, watch the text window to see if it says Select old... or Select new.... If you make a mistake while selecting you must choose Edit/Replace once again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back