Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Geotol

phoxeoy

I have a model that has a Circular Runout Geo tol. Below and connected
to the Geo tol it has a Projected Tolerance zone with a height of 85mm.
I go to create this Geo tol and Pro/E will not let me add a projected
tolerance zone to a circular runout. HELP!! I don't know what to do
here.

Projected tolerance zonefor runout?! I might be wrong, but that is an illegal callout.

How would you interpret such a tolerace?

All I know is they are calling a circular runout on a thread with a Projected Zone just below it. I run into this all the time with these old prints. My problem is I know something is wrong but what I don't knowis the road to take.

Does anybody know why a Projected Tolerance zone on the Circular runout GEOTOL is wrong. I need some ammo before I go to the bosses.

Thanks

Circular Runout is measured by putting an indicator on the surface and revolving the part around the datum axis. How are you going to put an indicator on a projected zone? Projected tolerance zone is specifically forbidden for a circular runout gtol. To my knowledge, projected tolerance zones are ONLY used for true position GTOL.

I have a great book titled Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Self-Study Workbook 2nd Edition based on ASME Y14.5M-1994 by Alex Krulikowski. I have had it a long time, don't know if it is still available. The best part is it has a block diagram for each type of GTOL listing all the options, modifiers, etc. and what is allowed & what is forbidden. Follow the block diagram through and you are sure to have a valid GTOL.
Edited by: dr_gallup

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back