Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ECAD Procedures

willyt

Currently, we are using Wildfire 2.0. Our PC design group uses PADs Layout 2005. These packages interface in agreement with IDF 3.0. Our products require mechanical interface with the PCB's to deal with EMI/RFI issues, critical to their operation. Therefore, we need to know locations of track and planes on the outer layers of the board. After providing the PC designer with the physical parameters, we receive the .emn and .emp files for board layout and component placement. We also receive AutoCAD files to import the layout of the outer board layers. This involves additional steps in translation of the data, which I believe cause a decrease in the accuracy of the translated data. We have been successful in using this method, but I have heard of improvements in these processes with new versions of software.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
We will be upgrading to Wildfire 4.0 in the near future. Information (that I have gathered) speaks of WF 4.0 being able to deal with PC data in agreement with IDF 4.0. In looking at brief descriptions, it states that WF 4.0 can read in these outer layers, directly from the .emn file; even interior layers, if needed. I would like to know if this is true.
I will be participating in the PTC Webinar

I regularly use IDF translation between WF3 and OrCAD v16. The process works great however it is a very detail oriented. You must me very anal to get everything working properly. And it's not just up to you. You'll be relying on your EE's to cooperate as well.

I went through a period where my EE's kept changeing the names of there footprints and I would have to go through component by component to map the appropriate names in the ecad_hint.map file.

The main details to get straight between the ME's and the EE's is:

1. ecad_hint.map mapping between the EECAD componnent name and the MECAD 3D model name.

2. Cooridnate system location. The coordinate system in your MECAD part model must match the coordinate system of the EECAD component footprint. If not you'll find components rotated or mis-aligned.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back