Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

DRILLED & TAPPED HOLE DEPTHS

STUARTF

Hello there,

Does anyone know how you can pre-set the drilled depth and tapped depthswhen using the hole tool?

I know about editing the .hol files but I cannot see where the drill/thread depths are.

It would be nice to have then as round numbers.(2x D)

Thanks

I looked into this awhile ago for 2001. I don't remember where I found the answer, here or from PTC, most likely PTC.

I wanted to establish nice round numbers for the hole depth also. Then rearrange the hole list with the most common on top. But what I found out was that the drill depth is calculated by an internal relation of the hole function. This can not be changed. If I remember correctly the relation came out of a Machinist's Handbook for inch holes and threads. Then ProE just does the metric conversion and does not referencethe JIS(Japanese Industry Standard) or an ISO standard. Kinda of sloppy if you ask me.

I don't know if it is possible to create a UDF in a table format that can be used as easily as the 'Hole' function.

Maybe Wildfire has made it available to put all the data in the hole table and not have any built in relations.

Hello kschauer,

Thank you for your comments.

I use wildfire 1 and don't know if there are any internal relations in the file.To be honest I don't know what I'd be looking for.

I've attached the iso.hol file from Wilfire for anyone who has comments

2005-04-06_095556_Iso.zip

thanks

That hole file looks the same as the one in 2001. The relations are not in that. They are stored somewhere in ProE itself.

I will either wait until PTC changes this or someone here can explain how they worked around this.

Anyone else???

Hello kschauer

I think that the drill depth is a default to 3x the dia. As far as the thread depth is is set to the depth ratio of 1.25 and that is in your .hol file. This parameter you could change.

I am not sure if that helps you.

In the past (before the hole table)I used to use UDF's (with family tables). I works basically the same way as the new interface. I had mapkeys for it so it worked pretty good. I think I still have a UDF around. If I find it I can send it to you

hi

in your dot hol file

you can those parameters after MED_DEC

CBOREDIAM CBOREDEPTH CSINKDIAM CSINKANGLE BOTCSINKDIAM BOTCSINKANGLE

fill with your value and you re done

jr_tyco,

Doesn't look like it will work in 2001. ProE reports error:

"Format error in fastener input file : C:\Program Files\proe2001\text\hole\KSO.hol at line no: 11"

This is the line with the CBOREDIAM CBOREDEPTH ......

Maybe this works in Wildfire?? Which do you use?

you gentlemen do realize that the maximum functional length of thread in retention applications is 2 times the diameter of the nominal thread, and to accomodate the development of the thread on the actual thread tapping toolyou need additional hole- and in my experience (nearly 15 years of machining)- the hole depths that pro/e displays, which do come form the machinists handbook- are prety much right-on the money to effectivly tap a tap-drilled hole without concern or consequence..? just curious if (any of) you were aware of that or if you are just aiming for a nice round arbitrary number?
smiley1.gif

jrobi

Thank you for your comments.

At the very start of this subject I was just after nominalizing the holedepths and I did mention the 2xD.

In my experience (17 years engineering, 8 years CAD) I have not found a way of doing this.

Thanks.

It looks as if Wildfire is getting enough new tricks to make it worth
the switch. Although, I would like to wait until 3.0 comes
out. Is that going to be this July?

Speaking of Wildfire. For the student or personal edition, what
level are these at? I mean are they wildfire 1.0, 2.0? How
is PTC handeling upgrades to these? How can I be sure what
release the personal edition is when I order. I still use Student
Edition 2001 at home. Yes, a lot of bugs and some missing
functions. But for that I know there are no
upgrades.. Any other comments.

sorry

i can t answer that i only use pro e at work and i ve no idea on upgrades or so.

i still use 2001, my compagny make the change onmy areato wf2 this summer

i m making some change on our current config to fit with wf2.

Hi, say for example you can find a way to make a standard drill/hole/thread table which can be used in Pro-E
smiley17.gif
. How will you use this table when the material thickness is not always enough or the material type is not the same (plastic instead of steel)?

Is the geometry of the threadhole driven by material size or material type? Or both?

Is it still interesting to have a table?

How about improving the placement ofthread on a cylinder/rod?

Regards!

I myself do not use the hole feature. I think it sucks. I do revolved cuts and I can set all my values as I feel. It might take a little more time but can be edited much better. As far as the two time diameter threads that is mostly true. For high pressure hydraulic valves that we produce you can see the differance in when the thread fails. I run four times dia. We also use undersize forming taps. Does your hole feature handle form threads? I also do not like all those notes the the hole feature puts in the model. When I use the cosmetic thread feature I can set up all my information the way I want it to be in a print using parameters. There are other issues for pro manufacturing. I have built a data base for the drill points that have been gashed and when you use the auto depth in a drilling cycle your depth will not be correct using the hole feature.

smiley13.gif

cncwhiz said:
I also do not like all those notes the the hole feature puts in the model.

smiley13.gif

Does anybody know how to turn these things off in wf2? I can't
find anywhere to do it and with multi holes it becomes impossible to
see the model!

Thanks

cncwhiz said:
I myself do not use the hole feature. I think it sucks. I do revolved cuts and I can set all my values as I feel. It might take a little more time but can be edited much better. As far as the two time diameter threads that is mostly true. For high pressure hydraulic valves that we produce you can see the differance in when the thread fails. I run four times dia. We also use undersize forming taps. Does your hole feature handle form threads? I also do not like all those notes the the hole feature puts in the model. When I use the cosmetic thread feature I can set up all my information the way I want it to be in a print using parameters. There are other issues for pro manufacturing. I have built a data base for the drill points that have been gashed and when you use the auto depth in a drilling cycle your depth will not be correct using the hole feature.

smiley13.gif
Spoken like a true man. And I bet you walked to school, uphill both ways. Seriously, I agree with you, I prefer the use the most "generic" features possible (like revolved cuts) because of the added versatility. Standard holes are for wimps!

Jrobi,

I would envite you to come to our company and do a distructive burst test on a standard size cut thread at over 5,500 psi. If you go by the book like your saying it will not make 4,000 psi. If you use form threads at three to four times diameter it will make the pressure. Your text book data will pull the threads out of the casting. Threads are an art in there own way. I have done a lot of work with threads to get the maximum strength. Being that we make most of the hydraulic elevator valves in the US I don't think that you would want threads to pull out of the valve with ten people on the fifth floor in the carand drop into the pit? Textbook does not always work.

smiley13.gif

ok whiz- got me there- I forgot the word typical before the word retention- which in your case I personally word phrase to be a restraint application- but nice try at busting ballz...
smiley32.gif
and I believe if you had enough holes of standard thread cut you can easily obtain your pressure rating- as I have in the past designed high pressure chemical reactor vessels to 10,000 psi for Zeyon and Autoclave of Erie,Pa. but- nice try.
smiley18.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back