Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CREO - First Impression?

Looks like even ProE managed to get at least one foot out of the grave...

PTC Q2 results
As noted yesterday,
PTC reportedreported second fiscal quarter revenue of$269 million, up
23% from a year ago, driven in large part by growth in the enterprise
CAD business. Net income more than doubled from last year

See, Mindripper was right, Pro/E is dying.
smiley36.gif

these news sound promising, hence at the end of previous year it was announced that PTC R&D budget is going to be cut, to increase revenue(suppose for shareholders) of 2011.

If we follow this further, there is another issue - PTC won big contract with Hyundai, and this contract obligates PTC to do a lot of customization job in PDMLink for this implementation. Now, if this is so important, and mentioned before development costs have to be performed, guess - which department is going to be taken into consideration?

I`m just thinking loud...

dgs said:
If Creo - not the 'Creo Elements' rebranded nonsense - is what they are implying, it will be a revolutionary shift in MCAD. We'll have to wait until it's real this summer to find out.

If they keep on track and the information in one of their posts is correct the release should be around the week of June 13th.
Edited by: kdem

From the earnings call:

"As you know, we have the same sales force
selling both Creo and Windchill, and the strong demand we've seen for
Creo in the first half, clearly takes selling cycles away from
Windchill, suggesting we should be thinking about and probably working
on remedies to what may currently be a capacity limitation to our growth
opportunity."

So sales increased because of that stellar jail brake show last October. I wonder if a little bit had to do with riding the coattails of the corporate PC refresh cycle from Windows 7? If supply capacity is the problem with PLM, why are they scaling it back by killing ProductPoint?

there is something I realy do not understand so please correct me, but...

how sales can be increased by Creo if there has been no Creo for customer yet?
smiley2.gif

Edited by: muadib3d

It's quite obvious what audience PTC is appealing to in it's quarterly financial announcements: it isn't users or customers, it's ignorant stockholders. Indeed, that's who usually reads this stuff.

It is truly in the tradition of PTC to claim that vaporware is driving sales growth: the spin doctors inPTC's Sales and Marketing Group have been hard at work. While users and customers are aware that Creo is currently just a name - and nothing more than that since it's 'release' last October, shareholders tend to be less knowledgeable about the actual content of a company's products. I would have to agree with mgnt8: customers are upgrading their OS and hardware on a large scale these days with the widespread adoption of Windows 7. This is likely driving customers to renew their (lapsed?) maintenance contracts. Why on earth would any customer go out and spend extra money or buy more seats of a (new?) product that does not yet exist, except in name only? Landing the Hyundai contract was likely a chunk of their sales boost.

Hello All

I've been using WF5 fora few monthsnow and I find the additional tabs in drawing mode a time waste. The placement of Axis and dimensions a real time waster. Having to clickon aview, opening the dinensional window turning them off then selecting the ones to keep then OK is wastefull steps to some dagree. The same with the Axis. But today is Friday and I'll get use to it.

Thanks

Every company makes an effort to appeal to it's shareholders. But making truthful, accurate and direct statements is the foundation of business ethics:public statements by corporationsshould follow these guidelines. Making misleading, inaccurate or obfuscatory statements: not so ethical.

Mindripper said:
Every company makes an effort to appeal to it's shareholders. But making truthful, accurate and direct statements is the foundation of business ethics:public statements by corporationsshould follow these guidelines. Making misleading, inaccurate or obfuscatory statements: not so ethical.

So you consider yourself not so ethical?

stop picking on Mindripper - he's the only entertainment
around here
smiley4.gif

thats unless you like reading the ongoing spam

Thanks, Moriarty: I do make an effort to be entertaining. This is Rant & Rave, after all. It's not like I'm the CFO of a corporation that has hundreds of millions in USDin annual sales, nor I am I subject to the rules and regulations of the SEC in my declarations. While I do make an effort to be accurate in my statements, I am not perfect and Iopenly admit to beinghighly opinionated in my judgments. I'm just a user like you guys: I'm looking for improvements in the products I use for a living, and not a highly compensated executive making public news releases.

Meanwhile, like the rest of the Pro/E users, I will wait for some meaningful information on the content of Creo - nine months after it's 'launch'. Hopefully the real 'release' next month will prove to be more than a change in product name, with some real improvements and not a bunch of hand-waving.

I'm going to be all over it the day it comes out, so I'll let you know how great or crappy it is.

This is America, CEO's can say anything they want, just as long as the stock is going up. It's only when it goes down when they get Enroned.

Edited by: mgnt8

Another minor quirk for you ProE users. Why when changing a dim value in a sketch or feature do you not have a programmable index to simply increase or decrease the current value? Say for example you are working in mm & you have an initial length of 120 mm for a segment & I want to simply double click the value to & change it to 122mm. Using SW I can set increment to 1 or 2 mms & simply bump the value with the up arrow to my desired value; same goes for English units in 32nds or 16ths, whatever. This saves time & possible error of manually typing a value, unless to you need a very specific one. This is a great assestthat ProE does not have. You'll like this feature if you get accustomed to it.

Lets here your arguments Creo users

I million hours of exp
smiley1.gif

Edited by: MarkEngr

dr_gallup - what version of WF are you on?

I cannot understand paying maintenance and not upgrading -
do you do the minor upgrades - M020 etc ?

Some people only pay maintenance for the first year then
upgrade only when they have to.

PTC spend a fortune doing these upgrades.

MarkEngr, you can set your default handle increments with

millimeter_grid_interval
centimeter_grid_interval
meter_grid_interval
angle_grid_interval
inch_grid_interval
foot_grid_interval
ratio_grid_interval
user_defined_grid_interval

Modify... is also really helpful - once thought it was a
toy but its fantastic for sorting out misbehaving
sketches.