Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Asymmetry in assembly

Hi csusie,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying out what you suggested. I just read an article about the Copy paste command. But the main goal of this command to copy an existing surface to create a new surface. But why then (especially in my case) do we need to use this command if we're already using the THICKEN option? Both create a new surface parallel to existing one, right?

So how is this command useful to my problem?

Thanks, once again.

VR

Try mirroring the merges and thicken and see what happens(it wont work cause there are no surfaces to merge on the other side),then you will see that you need to do something else to get the other half of your leaflet. Copy paste command is pretty useful when working with surfaces and you should know/learn how to use it.

Do you use the help menu at all? It is very good for learning something new.

the other option before you do any mirrors towards the bottom is to highlight the part name at the begining of your model tree and mirror that. Downfall, it will mirror every entity in yourpart, Copy/Paste simplifies the process.

Hi Csusie,

I just tried the copy paste option. It worked fine for the first half of the leaflet, but when i did the mirror, it's mirroring the copied part. And thenthe other half appears as if there are 2 parallel surfaces drawn, not like one thickened surface that I want.

When I'm mirroring, it's highlighting the copied part, is this what you did?

Hi Csusie,

I think I finally got wjat I wanted. What I did is this- did 2 merges and made the surface. Then did the copy paste. Then thicken. Then grouped these features and mirrored the group. I guess I got the final model that I want. I've attached the part. Can you look into it and see if it's exactly like what you did.

My leaflet is supposed to be a polymeric flexible leaflet that opens and closes according to fluisd flow. So should I use the SOLIDIFY option?

2006-05-25_145341_leafletsurfaces.prt.zip

Thanks a lot for all the help.

VR

Hi Csusie,

I still get that gap in between my surfaces. Is that because I haven't used the SOLIDIFY option? I mirrored all the features that I used on the first half of the leaflet. But still, the gap exists. I don't find that in you have done. can you once again explain how you used the SOLIDIFY command to remove the gap?

Thanks,

VR

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back