Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Asymmetry in assembly

users4

Hi,

I have an asembled model which is symmetrical. While creating the part, I just made one half and mirrored the other. But in the final assembly, the mirrored part seems to fit in perfectly, while the part that was actually created shows a misfit. There is a gap between the inner bevels of the 2 surfaces.

Any suggestions? I've attached the parts and the assembly file.

Thanks2006-05-22_161114_Part.zip

When looking closely at the parts, the one named model_temp actually isn't symmetrical. I've cut the part in half and assembled it to the opposite side to show the difference. The full green coloured area is where both halfs are different.

AlexView attachment 2304

A couple of comments here just looking at the part.

1. You shouldnt make disembodied parts (leaflet part)
2. You only need to mirror 1 time not as many as you have in the leaflet (avoid confusion and minimize work)
3. If the Model_temp is suppose to be symmetric why isnt there any mirrors in there? (save time modeling)

Just a few suggestions for the future.

Hi everyone,

Thnaks a lot for all your comments and help. I'm working on improving my model.

I do not understand what csusie means by not making the disembodied leaflet. It is a vital part of my model....... otherwise I would only have the solid frame. It's the leaflet which is of primary concern, especially since I have to doa CFD analysis on it.

I had to mirror multiple times because if I only created one quarter of the leflet then there woule be a discontuinuity at the point where they meet. I want the top free edge o be one sngle smooth curve.

Can anyone suggest alternate methods of achieving this?

Thanks a ton, everyone.

VR

Disembodied means you have 2 solids within a single part, you shouldnt have2 distinct solids in 1 part file. You could model one side and mirror it to make another part entirely. If you create 1/4 of the leaflet you should only have 2 mirrors and not 26 of them. You could create a composite approximate curve to make one smooth curve.

I see that where the parts of the leaflet come together there is not uniform thickness there is a gap there, create a surface copy of all of the surface patches and then do a thicken, and then mirror the surface copy and thicken to get the other leaflet. Brings your 3 mirrors and 6 thickens to 1 surface copy, 1 thicken, and 1 mirror.
Edited by: csusie

Hi csusie,

Can you describe more about what exactly you are trying to say? I'm a brand new user and am still learning the various commands, how they are used, etc.

I would like to know how exactly to go through the process that you just described.

Thanks a lot,

VR

lets start with the very last thing I talked about. Go above the 3 mirrors you have at the bottom. Select all 3 surface patches of the leaflet and copy paste. Now you have 1 quilt or surface of the whole thing. Take that quilt and do a thicken. Now group the copied surface and the thicken and mirror the group. Saves you like 7 tedious features.

You will still have a disembodied part but that might be okay for what you are doing.

Hi csusie,

I tried to follow your suggestions, but don't understand how to use the copy paste commands. Wjere should I copy paste the 3 patches of the leaflet? And how can I obtain a single surface from the 3 pieces?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Vr

Hi csusie,

It's true that there's a discontinuity at the site where the leaflet edges are coming together. Is this because the direction of thickness specified is towards the outside in the cental patch, while it's towards the inside for the patches at the sides.

This discrepancy at the leaflet attachment points to the frame is causing problems with the CFD software too. So I got to fix the problem in Pro/E itself.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

VR

Hi,

I was trying to use the FILL option to fill in material at the edges where the central part of the leaflet meets the other two side parts. How do I use this option? Is it worthwhile trying to do that to close the gaps?

I mean, can anyone tell me how to use the FILL option?

Thanks.

I created the existing surfaces using the 'Bounday blend' option. Where do I find the "MERGE' command? And will it work to fill the voidsif I just select the existing 3 surfaces and merge them?

For 1 you can only merge 2 surfaces at a time, all surface editing commands are under the edit drop down.

Pertaining to your second question, this is why I suggested doing a copy paste of the 3 to get 1 quilt (1 feature), if you merge the 3 it would be (2 features) but that would work as well.

The goal would be to create 1 surface and then thicken that and not the 3 individually

Hi csusie,

I'm just tried the MERGE option right now, but the gap still exists. This is what I did:

Selected the surface at the side and the middle surface and then used the MERGE command. Then selected the middle surface and the third surface on the side and tried to merge them. But somehow, the gap doesn't vanish.

How did you manage to remove the gap?

Thanks,

VR

I still don't get how to use the copy paste option? Do I have to select two or three surfaces and then use the command?

Hi csusie,

Sorry for constantly bothering you. It looks like the gap between the surfaces is removed. That was exactly what I wanted. But when I tried to redo the same thing myself, I somehow seem to get stuck while using the COPY command.

How exactly did you use it? I selected the thickened surfaces, then went to EDIT- Copy. Now where do you paste this? Is it on the front plane? Please tell me how exactly to use this command.

Thanks a ton.

VR.

if you select 1 surface patch hold down right mouse button you will get "solid surfaces" as an option. click that. then hit control-c, control-v and okay. Then mirror that surface copy. Then solidify that mirrored surface and you are done.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back