Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

asm as prt in other asm

alx

Do anyone known how can I use a welded sheetmetal asm as a prt in an other asm?
I try to explain:
I design a welded sheetmetal asm (named COLUMN.asm) because I need each single sheetmetal dimension and weld preparations as is in the workshop; I use a family table in which the generic is my welded sheetmetal asm with milling and boring feaures and the istance is without milling and boring feaures; I make all the drawings I need to produce my COLUMN and all is ok till here.
Now I assemble COLUMN.asm in the main project, I click info=>BOM and I don't need all single sheetmetals in this BOM, because my column is now built and is really like a single part.

Thank
alx

Well I will just say that I know it can be done, as that is how we do it. However, I didn't set up the BOM template that I use, so I don't know if there is anything special about it. I would say what you trying to do is pretty typical, I don't think the BOM goes down more than one level.

Thanks scottm.

I'm agrre this is a typical problem.
I'm reading Proe manuals, I can't find a solutions in the BOM template. I'm thinking about advanced assembly technique, something like a merge to make a single part of my column.asm and then I'll assemble the merge feature in the main project....

I'm stiil looking for the solution.
alx

Hi there...

There is a method of doing it.
As I understand the problem, the welded assembly is modelled separately and then it is machined. After welding it becomes a single component. There are TWO aspects to it.

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">You will need a Fabrication drawing, for which you will need to treat the sheet metal parts as separate entities.</LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">There is a machined part which will be assembled in the actual assembly and which for all practical purposes is a single part.</LI>
Here is how to do it.

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Create the Fabricated assembly say

Thanks again,
SRINIVASANIYER1,
the process you describe is what I need, but inheritance feature works only with parts and not with asm........in 2001 Pro-e version I use, may be different in WF?

Alx,

I tried it you are right. It does not allow me to select the assemly. I had tried it on Casting to Machined version.

A work around is zipped herewith. I have achieved this by making a neutral file of the assembly. Notice the MODEL TREE.

2005-04-27_064534_machining.zip

I hope I have been of help.

On second thoughts...

Machining being an additional feature on the fabricated model, see whether we can try making Family tables....?

I'm thinking about what SCOTTM suggested. I couldadd a parameter in my models and then I'll filter my BOM, in info=>BOM via HTML andin repeat region drw via filter command.

.....I restart working on my problem, thanksto youall

Alx

Dear Alx,

While you are rethinking,
smiley7.gif
I went thru my archive to find a similar solution to the problem. The procedure that I have followed is explained in the attachment.

2005-04-27_090138_ASSY.zip

Alternate method: merging of fabricated parts.

Create an Assembly.

Assemble the fabricated column in the assembly.

Create an empty part say "Machined_part" using your start.prt

Edit--->component operations---->merge

Select the "machined_part"--->done--->select all the parts in the fabrication assembly.

You now havethe "Machined_part" with all the parts of the Fabrication unit merged. It is also associative. This is now ready for machining.

One problem:

If you have applied welds, it does not merge with the components.

Hence I still feel familytable is the best bet.

Thank SRINIVASANIYER1,
I thinkfamily table is the best way too, but I still have the problem on the BOM.......I'm still checking SCOTTM idea

Alx

2005-04-27_101308_csizebom.frm.zip

I'm not sure if this will help - here is one of our BOM formats. Either I'm misunderstanding what you want or you are getting a lot of complicated solutions.

You're just looking for a single level BOM, not multi-level. I guess I took it for granted.

Just one thing - if you have the fab'd part as an assembly, and then assemble it into a larger assembly, you're saying that is breaking out all of the components?

That doesn't make any sense from a lot of levels. IMO it should only show the top level parts/subassemblies.

Can't one just create an associative shrinkwrap part model of the column
assembly and assembly it into the upper assembly?
Edited by: Hacks

Dear SCOTTM, my main asm have more than one level subasm.

- Machine (1 asm)
-- groups (1 asm each group, more than one group,no parts allowed at this level of the project)
--- sub-groups (more than one sub-group for each group)
----asmand/or prt as needed ion each sub-group

In drw-table_repeat region-BOM I use filters, I don't want/I don't needbreaking out all component of course.
When I ask info=>BOM the .brekdown and .summary commands show me ALL component, welded sheetmetal parts of my column included.......I don't wantmodify by hand the original info=>BOM via text editor......this is why Iwas looking for a way to merge my fab'd asm inone prt. But, SCOTTM, you gave me a good idea, I usually open my info=>BOM as .xls file via HTML, so I can filter the same parameter YES/NO I use in drw-table_repeat region-BOM.

Dear HACKS, I don't use associative shrinkwrap because I need solid model and not only surfaces.

Thank you all
Alx

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back