Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

asm as prt in other asm

alx

Do anyone known how can I use a welded sheetmetal asm as a prt in an other asm?
I try to explain:
I design a welded sheetmetal asm (named COLUMN.asm) because I need each single sheetmetal dimension and weld preparations as is in the workshop; I use a family table in which the generic is my welded sheetmetal asm with milling and boring feaures and the istance is without milling and boring feaures; I make all the drawings I need to produce my COLUMN and all is ok till here.
Now I assemble COLUMN.asm in the main project, I click info=>BOM and I don't need all single sheetmetals in this BOM, because my column is now built and is really like a single part.

Thank
alx

scottm

Well I will just say that I know it can be done, as that is how we do it. However, I didn't set up the BOM template that I use, so I don't know if there is anything special about it. I would say what you trying to do is pretty typical, I don't think the BOM goes down more than one level.

alx

Thanks scottm.

I'm agrre this is a typical problem.
I'm reading Proe manuals, I can't find a solutions in the BOM template. I'm thinking about advanced assembly technique, something like a merge to make a single part of my column.asm and then I'll assemble the merge feature in the main project....

I'm stiil looking for the solution.
alx

SRINIVASANIYER1

Hi there...

There is a method of doing it.
As I understand the problem, the welded assembly is modelled separately and then it is machined. After welding it becomes a single component. There are TWO aspects to it.

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">You will need a Fabrication drawing, for which you will need to treat the sheet metal parts as separate entities.</LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">There is a machined part which will be assembled in the actual assembly and which for all practical purposes is a single part.</LI>
Here is how to do it.

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0mm 0mm 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Create the Fabricated assembly say

alx

Thanks again,
SRINIVASANIYER1,
the process you describe is what I need, but inheritance feature works only with parts and not with asm........in 2001 Pro-e version I use, may be different in WF?

SRINIVASANIYER1

Alx,

I tried it you are right. It does not allow me to select the assemly. I had tried it on Casting to Machined version.

A work around is zipped herewith. I have achieved this by making a neutral file of the assembly. Notice the MODEL TREE.

2005-04-27_064534_machining.zip

I hope I have been of help.

On second thoughts...

Machining being an additional feature on the fabricated model, see whether we can try making Family tables....?

alx

I'm thinking about what SCOTTM suggested. I couldadd a parameter in my models and then I'll filter my BOM, in info=>BOM via HTML andin repeat region drw via filter command.

.....I restart working on my problem, thanksto youall

Alx

SRINIVASANIYER1

Dear Alx,

While you are rethinking,
I went thru my archive to find a similar solution to the problem. The procedure that I have followed is explained in the attachment.

2005-04-27_090138_ASSY.zip

Alternate method: merging of fabricated parts.

Create an Assembly.

Assemble the fabricated column in the assembly.

Create an empty part say "Machined_part" using your start.prt

Edit--->component operations---->merge

Select the "machined_part"--->done--->select all the parts in the fabrication assembly.

You now havethe "Machined_part" with all the parts of the Fabrication unit merged. It is also associative. This is now ready for machining.

One problem:

If you have applied welds, it does not merge with the components.

Hence I still feel familytable is the best bet.

alx

Thank SRINIVASANIYER1,
I thinkfamily table is the best way too, but I still have the problem on the BOM.......I'm still checking SCOTTM idea

Alx

scottm

2005-04-27_101308_csizebom.frm.zip

I'm not sure if this will help - here is one of our BOM formats. Either I'm misunderstanding what you want or you are getting a lot of complicated solutions.

You're just looking for a single level BOM, not multi-level. I guess I took it for granted.

scottm

Just one thing - if you have the fab'd part as an assembly, and then assemble it into a larger assembly, you're saying that is breaking out all of the components?

That doesn't make any sense from a lot of levels. IMO it should only show the top level parts/subassemblies.

Hacks

Can't one just create an associative shrinkwrap part model of the column
assembly and assembly it into the upper assembly?
Edited by: Hacks

alx

Dear SCOTTM, my main asm have more than one level subasm.

- Machine (1 asm)
-- groups (1 asm each group, more than one group,no parts allowed at this level of the project)
--- sub-groups (more than one sub-group for each group)
----asmand/or prt as needed ion each sub-group

In drw-table_repeat region-BOM I use filters, I don't want/I don't needbreaking out all component of course.
When I ask info=>BOM the .brekdown and .summary commands show me ALL component, welded sheetmetal parts of my column included.......I don't wantmodify by hand the original info=>BOM via text editor......this is why Iwas looking for a way to merge my fab'd asm inone prt. But, SCOTTM, you gave me a good idea, I usually open my info=>BOM as .xls file via HTML, so I can filter the same parameter YES/NO I use in drw-table_repeat region-BOM.

Dear HACKS, I don't use associative shrinkwrap because I need solid model and not only surfaces.

Thank you all
Alx

Sponsor