Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

About config.pro

venkataramu

Dear Friends,

I have my own Config file named as Ramu.pro. How to set this config file as a default config.That means when I opened the ProE, bydefault I want this Ramu.pro. Please help me ragarding this

Ramu

Hello Ramu,

Rename your config file as config.pro.

Open your config file, (ramu.pro), make sure that all the paths specified point to the correct directory (were your library and set up files are, for example C/proe/.......)

This is so when proe reads your config file, it knows where all your drawing templates, texts, textures etc are

Next put your config file (ramu.pro) into your proe start up directory, (this is the directoryyou told proe to start in during setup, when you first start up proe, the directory displayed when you choose file / open).

If you need to change your start up directory, go into >: proe / proe bin / and double click file called proe setup, this will open the proe setup file. Scroll through until you get to start directory option and just specify a different one, (eg C:/ my documents/ ramu proe - or whatever).

To recap :-

Put all your setup, libraries, formats, text files etc in a folder(s)

Open Config.pro and point all the directory listings to that folder (there will be a fair few depending on all your requirements - formats, plotters, etc) and save

Put your config.pro in your proe start up folder.

Start up Proe and your away.

Hope this makes some sense......

For info:

I have several config's I run depending on which project I'm working on.

I find writing a macro to load the appropriate config then putting a button on the toolbar also helps save time and confusion.

One click and it's all done!!

Mechwitch, is that a windows macro you're referring to? Or are
you changing config.pro's within a session of Pro/E? Care to
share a simple example?

I thought Mechwitch refered to Mapkey in Pro/e environment...

It's nodoubtedlya flexible solution in such situations.

Not many people might know this, but when Pro is loaded it looks for the config.pro file in three different locations in the following order:

1. loadpoint/text ( this is where Pro was installed ex: c:program_files/proe_2001/text)

2. The users home directory

3.The working directory(same as the start in directory under the pro/e icon).

Also the last config.pro that is read during startup will be the settings used by the system.

So if you have a config.pro in the "/text" folder and one called out in the working directory folder. The one in the working directory folder will overwrite all the settings of the config.pro from the "/text" folder for that session of Pro.

americanaugers said:
Also the last config.pro that is read during startup will be the settings used by the system.

So if you have a config.pro in the "/text" folder and one called out in the working directory folder. The one in the working directory folder will overwrite all the settings of the config.pro from the "/text" folder for that session of Pro.
Note that the last config.pro only overwrites duplicate settings, it will not undo the other settings. Also, it you want to enforce certain settings put them in text/config.sup. Those settings will not be overwritten by subsequent config.pro files.
Edited by: dr_gallup

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back