Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What do you do for a living ?

I work as a Tool Designer for a forklift manufacturer. Not very interesting but it pays the bills.

It's been very interesting skimming this post, butit would be even moreinsightful if we included our pay. I'm on a mere

Hi All.......I'm working in R&D for stent graft technology assisting in developing new introducer system and peripherals. I'm a machinist by trade but have had a hand in many things for some time. Started as a auto-tranny mechanic then an industrial model builder (before 3D computer modeling was big), also built heavy equipment simulators and did some CNC programming. I enjoy my work immensely but find my background with AutoCAD and SolidWorks still not enough to eliminate the frustrations of self teaching ProE with its many inferior user interface features.

Great to see this old thread keeps raising its head !

boydt, congrats on starting your own venture, seems a worthy cause and good product.

Goosemonster, i dont think you will get many people telling you what they earn... most of us will get depressed after we see some people earning 60k +
smiley36.gif

Hi All,
I'm working at Wood Working Fac. in VN. I make some cabinet speaker sample. 60k+....Wow it's still in my dream every night
smiley17.gif
. I really like Pro/E.In my work, I've just used 2D (sometimes 3D).
I wish everybody in here get more success and high salary
smiley2.gif
Best regards

foolmankh said:
I make some cabinet speaker sample. 60k+....Wow it's still in my dream every night
smiley17.gif
. I really like Pro/E.In my work, I've just used 2D (sometimes 3D).

ProE to do 2D ? Sounds like a serious overkill.

Maybe you could dump ProE and raise your salary with the economies you make
smiley4.gif

I am a Mechanical Engineer, who started my career with AutoCAD some 24 years agoand now using pro/E for the past 8 years. I have used Flex 3c (foundation + MDX + AAX + BMX mainly).

I am a machine designer engaged in the design of SPMs (special purpose machines), jigs and fixtures, using pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical and electronic controls.

Presently heading the Design and Engineering department of a Lighting industry.

Hi everybody,

I'm Joe. I had joined few years back but never really spent time here.. But plans to revert that.. I am a mechanical Engineer. have been using Proe for nearly 6 years now. Its fun, right.. I like to use the surfacing and wander around the VVS (with relations) etc etc.. I had started modelin a Porsche, but lost interest sometime in between.. Thinking about restarting it after seeing some nice works here.. Now I am into automotive industry (steering systems)..

I posted once last year but it seams things change. I teach Pro/E at
Design-engine in <st1:city u1:st="on"><st1:place u1:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Chicago</st1:city></st1:place></st1:city>
http://www.proetools.com
… proe training, but travel the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">United
States</st1:place></st1:country-region> to various companies teaching
plastics and surfacing workshops. We will be teaching composites and
other workshops that utilize Pro/ENGINEER in the training. That’s how we
differentiate from other training organizations... in that we take the emphasis
off Pro/E books and step by step learning and move the stress to solving
problems using Pro/ENGINEER. Above average intelligent folks tend to
learn and retain at much higher levels. You must see our press page to understand the
scope of our reach. Basically we teach
Industrial Design and Engineering and choose to use Pro/E because that’s the
industry standard.

I am also a big part of the Design-engine.com online
resource. I manage programmers and others plus do quite a bit of
the graphics. I did the most recent cover plate (that’s what we call the
main graphic) with the Aprilia and the girl. http://www.Design-engine.com

Lately the others in my group do the training and I find myself doing more than
50 percent of my time working for deepLABS a product design group. We have been
working on products ranging from PLA hangers to... (ie. biodegradable
hangers) to flatware (Moto Restaurant) to bags (home depot). Several
years ago we designed composite surfing products and that led us into other
composite products. We specialize in Plastics - silicones and
composites.

As of late we have been working on a composite drone aircraft that is absolutely
bad ass. Everyone we work with is so cool.

I should add that we choose to use Pro/ENGINEER on everything we do except
the barbie flashlights of several years ago. That was solidworks.

I am 42 years old and have been using Pro/E since 1991. in 1991 I lived in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Atlanta</st1:city></st1:place> and worked at NCR. In 1993 I moved to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chicago</st1:place></st1:city> to work for Motorola.. 1995 at Poloris in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Minnesota</st1:place></st1:state>.
I am an ‘oldschool’ contractor and preach to other young engineers how
to do it too. I have a myspace page http://www.myspace.com/bartbrejcha
and so does the school. http://www.myspace.com/proetraining
I speak at as many Pro/E users groups as
humanly possible. I try to speak at the
international Pro/E users group every three years or so. I specialize in Surfacing. I know
Maya, Alias Studio and SolidWorks at a fairly high level but Pro/E is my
mainstay.

Edited by: design-engine

Wow this old thread keeps popping up doesnt it
smiley36.gif

Excellent write-up Bart, its always great to read about someone who is as happy and passionate about there job as you are. If you are ever in the UK give me a call, I need all the training I can get
smiley2.gif

As for me, Im still at a company called Fab & Fix in the UK, designers manufacturers and distributers of hardware to the window/door/furniture industries. As far as pro-e is concerned the products are not that interesting to look at like all these sexy cars etc lol, but they give me problems when modelling none-the-less. Its a growing company and has a great team of people...its just a shame theres no Pro-e experts there to lend me a hand
smiley36.gif

Skint,

Just had a look at Fab & Fix website, curious to see where you are. Coventry, just down the road from me. Working in Coalville at the moment (Terex Pegson rock crushers)

Brief details. Contract mech design engineer. Irish, but in UK for the last few years. Primarily work in yellow goods and SPM (special purpose machinary). Worked with ProE, Inventor &Solidworks, but ProE is the preference.

Kev
smiley36.gif

here is a valentines flower garden for your wives. Best part is it is fake and still does not collect dust. Created in 6 minutes using Maya 8.5 software and using paint effects. Those flowers and grass were painted on using a brush like in photoshop.

flowers02.jpg

prohammy said:
Skint,

Just had a look at Fab & Fix website, curious to see where you are. Coventry, just down the road from me. Working in Coalville at the moment (Terex Pegson rock crushers)

Brief details. Contract mech design engineer. Irish, but in UK for the last few years. Primarily work in yellow goods and SPM (special purpose machinary). Worked with ProE, Inventor &Solidworks, but ProE is the preference.

Kev
smiley36.gif

Hey Kev, yeah just down the road. Fab & Fix website needs a complete overhall, but thats another job of mine and only gets 5 minutes attention per year lol.

I know Coalville, isnt that where the Emporiam is, there is a dj called Armin Van Buuren playing there in March so I may just gofor a little boogie
smiley36.gif

I am a designer for a company that makes tents. Instant garages and the like. I used to work with control systems for the navy. Big jump huh. I started on 2000i and use wf2 now. I also work on my own stuff involving simulators, animitronics, rides and architecture. I have always drawnin 3-d even in the board days. (yes I started useing a # 5 pencle) Have aslo used Auto-cad, Inventor and SolidWorks. Pro-e has a better table system that SolidWorks and inventor but solid works has a better animator and rendering.I want to be able to render better in pro-e. If any one knows of a good tutorial for either PLEASE let me know. Here is a pic of somthing I'm working on now. Still need to plum it.View attachment 3171 in 3-d even in the board days. (yes I started useing a # 5 pencle) Have aslo used Auto-cad, Inventor and SolidWorks. Pro-e has a better table system that SolidWorks and inventor but solid works has a better animator and rendering.I want to be able to render better in pro-e. If any one knows of a good tutorial for either PLEASE let me know.

There seem to be a ton of people who call themse;ves/are "design engineers" here. I'm still a student. I'm curious, what other kinds of engineers are there? I mean, engineers design things basically, I thought. I'm a mechanical engineering student.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other kinds of mechanical engineers than design mechanical engineers. I was just wondering if anyone could clarfiy what the distinctions among these different types are.

Hy Guys
I just searching for something and find some old threads. I reply just to make sure it wont delete.
smiley2.gif

See and enjoy some memories.

Hi,

m Mechanical Engineer, have worked on Semiconductor mfg tools.
I develop jlink applications, with flavor of Swing, Java2D and Java3D.

Thanks,
Manoj

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back