Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E crashed 4 times today in sketcher

Dell_Boy said:
Sorry,

but if you don't have a valid account with PTC, I think you are either

Using pirate software

or

Fundamentally ignorant because you are missing out on the wealth of information contained in their knowledge base. If your company has genuine licences but you as users do not, you should pressure the powers that be, to have created a usable login with which ALL your Pro/E users can gain access.

DB

Dell_Boy, I am an owner of a small manufacturing company. We have single licence of ProE and that covers our needs. I have opted out of maintenance (it is an optional thing for your information) because I don't believe it's worth paying for it.Perhaps it's "wealth of information"for less experienced users indeed, but with my tens of thousandslogged CAD/CAM hours I think I know a thing or two and I don't mind sharing it with others.

Your immature response has irked me a lot, but I let it go, You have a nice day.

I had the same problem when I changed from my good old Logitech- to a microsoft mouse with Intelipoint driver.
Many crashes later I went back to Logitech with its driver and all 'hickups' and crashes are gone.
It seems that Pro-E (Wildfire 3) and Intellipoint don't go together.

I have had the same problem with Wildfire since 3.0 and now 4.0. It has been known to bail out of the sketcher environment 10 times in a day...(and in some cases day after day). :eek:/

PTC have said the spec of my m/c is perfectly fine and even new datecodes haven't sorted the problem.

However, having read the useful posts here today, I shall get rid of this Intellipoint and throw it out of the nearest available window.......

Cheers guys.

It is all in the drivers

For the record I am currently using WF3 still with my favourite Intellipoint explorer 3 and the large thumb button to SHIFT and the small thumb button bound to CTRL enabled by the M$ intellipoint drivers which makes one hand model manipulation and multiple picking so much easier.

In a full day's work I think the most crashes I have had is two, usually from a massive rename after importing a series of assembly STEP files. I can't recall it EVER crashing from sketcher.

For what it is worth, a copy of the TPI is here

2009-03-19_033617_TPI_-_142641.zip

but it really does not tell you much.

Yes Marker4x4, most half-wits know that maintenance is optional but you could look at it as a weapon. I, myself have twice withheld maintenance renewal until I got critical problems resolved (believe me this strategy does work if your local PTC agent is working for you).

Also, since you went off maintenance the software will have changed. Some of the changes have been frustrating to say the least but others have been really beneficial. If you decide to change your mind you have two choices, pay ALL the back maintenance which saved you zilch or re-purchase new licences but you will have to wait 4-6 years for it to be economic but before then you will probably find that your current OS will no longer be supported and your old software won't run on the current hardware OSs at that time.

Good luck, you WILL need it.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back