Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E crashed 4 times today in sketcher

rrleclair, Intellipoint should be in your Add/Remove programs...

dr_gallup, we've been using a couple of lDell laptops with nView, desktops,etc and generally I'd recommend not using the nVidia software. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else had very positive advantages of using the software, but ourIT guy isstating that thenView, etc is too much trouble on variousapplications - not just Pro/E. The desktops functionality just doesn't seem to add that much in terms of usability but does cause problems.

Good luck.

It seems as tho Intellipoint was the problem. Haven't crashed yet in sketcher since I removed it. Thanks for the help!!

Most crashes in Sketch are due to the fact that Pro/E is a memory hogging whore. I mean sketching 10 rectangles may just kill an afternoon. I have not used WF3 yet but this seems to be something they fixed. The old sketcher is less memory intensive and place selection doesent always snap to the center of the section it allows you to select which point to use for placement which would be a nice addition to the new sketcher.

Also the modify dimension from double click sucks for all features as well as sketch dimensions because Pro/E does not always keep the value box open which you may notice during pattern operation.

My advice would be to use the modify dimensions dialog box which allows you to modify multiple dimensions at once and scale changes as well.

Michael

I just spent a month with the same problem. we found that it was the mouse i was using. everyone else in the office had logitech mice while i was given a microsoft mouse (intellipoint) the same time my problem started. we removed the intellipoint software and switched to a logitech mouse and all has been good eversince

It's the mouse drivers - all the aftermarket mouse drivers. I had the same problem with SolidWorks. Use the generic Windows mouse drivers, which are plenty adequate and will re-install themselves after the accursed aftermarket drivers are uninstalled - or you may need a Windows CD. SolidWorks didn't actually crash: I just got really weird video problems. It was on my new mobile workstation, so it took a little while to figure out. I've heard the same problems can develop with Logitech mouse drivers too - but the Logitech mice are fine. I'm holding one now.

I'm on release M220 of WF2 in Windows: very stable for some five months now, But don't forget to re-boot a couple of times a week (at least), if you're runningg a Windows machine. Not like the old SGI Unix machines; you could leave a machine up for years (literally) without any problems.

To all the people who experienced crashes that were resolved by removing the Intellipoint drivers; which version were you using?

The reason I ask is that I have been using 4.12 for ages because I have an old Explorer 3 mouse and love the ability to change button meanings in different programs. Recently tried upgrading to 6.1 and took an instant disliking to it due to the resources it was consuming so removed it before I had time to notice if it was causing crashes. However a workmate with a newer mouse running 6.1 is getting lots of crashes when modifying dimensions so this could very well be the source of his problems.

Does anyone know how to inform M$ their mouse drivers are sh*te!

DB

All versions of Intellipoint are a known problem with various CAD packages (and probably other software too), and this has been true for many years. Just drive a stake through the heart of the beast, before it costs you your sanity.

Much of the functionality of Intellipoint is includedin the native Windows XP mouse drivers: I think you can change button assignments just about any way you want to in there as well. And don't be afraid to get a new mouse, if that is an issue: they cost around $30 to $40 USD for nice ergonomic species.

I remember contractors back the the early days Circa 1994 could crash proe on demand just to make their managers sweat. I remember one guy specifically at CASE second floor. It was so funny. He would hit a combo on the keys and with a flash Pro/E would hang up and crash. I could hear the manager say from over the room. "When did you save last" LOL

At least the dump core will crash faster now days in WINDZ. Back in the UNIX days you had to set your core dump to NULL to crash faster.

Who remembers every doing a resume in vi ?

Edited by: design-engine

Instead of double clicking on the dimension, right click/edit value and change the dimension to what you want. This should do the trick as a quick fix.

Dell_Boy said:
To all the people who experienced crashes that were resolved by removing the Intellipoint drivers; which version were you using?

I've had ProE crashing madly few times a day on my brand spanking new powerhouse PC (AMD Quad-core, 2G Ram, Nvidia Geforce 9600, etc.)... turned out the "latest and greatest" Intellipoint drivers from M/Soft were s**t.

Downgraded to Version 5.40.633.0, now I'm happy camper. I guess the latest drivers, being Vista compatible have built-in automatic crash capability
smiley2.gif

I'm running 32bit XP BTW.
Edited by: marker4x4

I encountered this behavior more times than I want to remember. I blamed a bug in ProE, but I loaded the model on another computer and the problems didn't show up.
It was obviously an incompatibility between my instance in ProE - ProE - my computer. The solution I adopted was to load something else in memory (an innocent part) and/or to change something in the tree (eg. order of features). In this way the working point wasn't in the same spot in memory every time. Up to now every time this solution fixed all the crushes. Try it.

I had this exact issue, sketcher would just evopourate when modifying a dimension. I uninstalled the driver for my intellimouse 5 button mouse and it was cured! it has never happened since, only disadvantage is I miss the extra buttons and have had to go back to using the shift and ctrl keys.

Thank all of you. I have had this problem forever on a Dell M90 laptop. I am going to try removing Intellipoint.

Jim

jonesthecad said:
I had this exact issue, sketcher would just evopourate when modifying a dimension. I uninstalled the driver for my intellimouse 5 button mouse and it was cured! it has never happened since, only disadvantage is I miss the extra buttons and have had to go back to using the shift and ctrl keys.

Just try what I did - downgrade the Intellipoint driver to Version 5.40.633.0.... worked for me; I've got all my buttons and ProE seems to behave much better. Good luck!

It seems that PTC believe they have resolved the issue with Intellipoint drivers as of version 6.3.

You can check out the full TPI 142641 at

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=142641

DB

My weapon of choice is an Intellimouse Explorer 3. I have had three companies purchase them for me to use at work and I have another two at home including a 25th anniversary edition though I would love to get hold of a genuine Steel Series.

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sorry,

but if you don't have a valid account with PTC, I think you are either

Using pirate software

or

Fundamentally ignorant because you are missing out on the wealth of information contained in their knowledge base. If your company has genuine licences but you as users do not, you should pressure the powers that be, to have created a usable login with which ALL your Pro/E users can gain access.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back