Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Plane nrml to crv, thru pnt?

SW<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I apologize, you did create the 3D Curve and Point first but the thing is your curve is not 3D. No matter how I modify 3 points used for curve definition Curve always lies in a plane.

Howeverthis will work with 3d curve too. You do not have to create sweep nor trim curves.

After having created Analysis Point create a Datum Axis through this point and tangent to curve and than a NORMAL datum plane through the 3Dpoint and normal to the axis.

This is superior approach to mine because it does not neEd optimization studies.

Sorry again

The SW'idea that masuring distance between a point and a curve will automatically find the shortest normal distance between the point and the curve is simple but the great one.The rest is just simple execution.

Here is the model based on that idea but a little bit simplified for those interested : 2005-02-10_140629_plan_normal_to_curve.prt.zip

Pedja

No need to apologise, I just thought I might have missed the point.

Cheers,

Sam

nice work on the models guys.. I may steal a few ideas from them
smiley4.gif

it's unfortunate we couldn't solve the problem without bmx, but at least he hasa vss workaround!

James,

Have a look at the model using the sweep, or Pedja's modification using a datum axis, no need for BMX.

Sam

Sam, to create your Pnt_to, do you not need to do an analysis to find the shortest distance?I was under the impression from Jeff's last post that that option was part of BMX? Maybe it's not! and if that's the case, nice work!
smiley2.gif

James,

I don't think BMX is required to create an analysis feature. I thought
BMX was just the iterative modification functionality? I could well be
wrong though.

Sam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back