Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Plane nrml to crv, thru pnt?

jeff4136

I'd like to create a plane normal to a (not planar) curve thru a given point near the curve or, at least, create a line from the point perpendicular to the curve. I think I can probably get a VSS to give me the line in most cases, but am wondering if I'm missing a simpler way of defining the plane.

TIA,
Jeff Howard

bummer..

don't know of an easier way unfortunately so..
smiley5.gif

sorry, I'll have a think about it though...

James

add datum axis through point normal to a plane then create datum plane through point and normal to axis. see if this can help you

AS

but if he had a plane to make the axis normal to, wouldn't that be parallel or normalto the plane he wants? otherwise what good would the axis be?

maybe I'm not understanding you right?
smiley5.gif

Edited by: james.lynch

Especial, I'm not sure I understand either, but don't think that's what I'm after. The simpler problem is to create a line or axis thru the point perpendicular to the curve (or a subcurve if there are multiple solutions). The plane would then be normal to curve thru the line end point.

I backed out of the current problem for now and just "adjusted" a normal plane so it was close enough. Would still like to find a "clean" solution, though.

your overworking me here. how about create a datum through that point (in space) and intersect the curve (and hope it does intersect if not we are down the river with no paddles) and then do the above (point and axis)

Edited by: especial

View attachment 648I dont think there is an option to create an axisthat intersects a curve, I think you'd need a point..

Have you got BMX? just thinking out loud but if you created a point some amount from the end, then create an axis tanget to the curve at that point,and creat a second axis throug both points, then measure the angel between the 2 axis and run an optimisation study varying the offset distance of the point anong the line to get an angle of 90?

that'd work.. and if you have a lot of tehm I'm sure there must be some way of automating the process..
Edited by: james.lynch

Thanks James; no BMX either.

Does ISDX have a function that will automate the process (pick curve, tell it "normal", pick point)? The current promotional deal they're offering is sort of alluring, but I'm not sure how long I'd have to go without lunch money to swing it. 8~)

"how about create a datum through that point (in space) and intersect the curve (and hope it does intersect if not we are down the river with no paddles) and then do the above (point and axis) "

the reason for creating a datum through that point (in space) and intersecting the curve is so you can create a point (Curve X Surf) on thedatum intersecting the curve and then do the above

jeff if i understand your igs correct what i mention should work just fine

actuall no.. just tried it.. sorry..

but here what ya do.. get your hands on teh personal learning version or the student version, save your curve as an igs, import it create your points and axis, do the analysis remember teh distance and put a point in the actual model in the comercial version... and it'll only cost ya a couple of hundred! so lunch money for a month then.. :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back