Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

modelling corner radius

chetanghatti

Is it possible to design a corner radius just like a corner chamfer in pro e??????/
smiley1.gif

Edited by: chetanghatti

chetanghatti said:
Is it possible to design a corner radius just like a corner chamfer in pro e??????/
smiley1.gif
Do you want to know if its possible or how to do it? Because, obviously its possible - if I understand your question correctly. As to how - for a basic corner round where 3 edges meet up - a few curves and a sweep you're done. If your geometry is basic then just do what garymig suggested.

There's some good tutorials over at proe-warsztat dealing with corner fillets & rounds.

hai,

thanks for reply,

i want the radius only at the corner but the edges, meeting at that corner should be sharp. hope you got that//////////////

I don't know the best way to do it but I understand what they want. They want to round only the area with the triangular section where the individual edge rounds meet (see pic below). They want theedges to remain sharp. There use to be some topics on here that discussed it but I'm not sure if they are still there. Some have made a compromise and rounded the edges but used small radius values so a n-sided patch feature could be created.

View attachment 4937

Mathematically speaking one could check whether it is possible to obtain a section of sphere that has the three arcs as boundaries, if this can be done in some way, then you could use a surface to cut the corner. If this can't be done then maths are against us and all "solutions" will be an approximation

Paolo

2011-02-16_113801_corner_round.prt.zip

Here is the part

WF 5.0 or Creo Element/Pro
smiley1.gif

Darek

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>

Had a quick go on WF4.

However my edges have a radius of 0.1mm. Steps are

Create round and select your 3 edges
Set the radius to 0.1
Switch to transition mode
Zoom in to the corner and select the yellow corner on your
model.
Change the drop down box from default to corner sphere.
Set a radius for your corner
Click complete

Can you use this? create points away from the corner equal to the radius, insert a round by selecting one of the edges, switch to tranisition mode, select the trasition you want to remove, use the pull down and select stop at reference, pick the point on that edge, repeat with all 3 edges in the same round, just add more sets.

2011-02-17_083045_round.zip

fire-chipmunk said:
Had a quick go on WF4.

However my edges have a radius of 0.1mm. Steps are

Create round and select your 3 edges

Set the radius to 0.1

Switch to transition mode

Zoom in to the corner and select the yellow corner on your

model.

Change the drop down box from default to corner sphere.

Set a radius for your corner

Click complete

Care to elaborate on the "select the yellow corner"? I don't know how to do that.

dr_gallup

While in the round feature there are two icons on the top
left of the feature menu. If you hover your mouse over
the first one a yellow box should say it is "Switch to
set Mode" the second icon is the "Switch to transition
mode"

Click the transition mode icon. All the preview radius
should go grey apart from yellow areas were transition
criteria can be defined. Once you click on one of these
options become available.

Simon

yea, i get it, but the guy need a 'corner only' at a certain distance from each face. I think what your doing still gives the radius along the whole edge, unless I'm missing something.

Kudos to Darek,
I had a look at your model and it was a very tidy solution. I had some thoughts myself such as using surface radii but the construction needed to get a solution was more complicated that your VSS. What is even nicer is that check with Gaussian curve tools showed the VSS method was flawless.
smiley1.gif

Brent

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back