Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Interview Questions in ProE

surajcad

Hello friends,
I am supposed to answer a interview for designer post. Please could you help me with the following questions of ProE, as expertise in ProE is a prerequisite...

1)What is trial file?
2)How tointerchange the positions of therows of a parametric BOM in detailing?
3)What is the difference in config.pro and config.win?
4)What is k-factor and Y-factor?
5)What is formulae of developed length?
6)What is datum target?
7)What is.dtl file?
8)What are snap lines?
9)How to use family tables in Assembly mode?
10)What is parametric format?
11)What is publish geometry?
12)What is package?
13)What is envelop?
14)What is ribbon?
15)What is the difference between reroute and redefine?
16)What is simplified representation and skeleton model?
17)What is restructure?

18)How to associate a particular independent text with a view?
Phew...

Waiting for ur reply.
Thank you.

...SURAJ

P.S: could you please pose some other proe related questions...and provide their respective answers too :)

Surajcad,

I think you may be in trouble for this interview. Most of these are basic questions about ProE and you say that you need to be an expert..... I think they will be able to find out pretty easily that you don't have the required experience. Expertise comes from using the package, not learning off a list of answers

Sorry

Kev

I hate these type of
smiley2.gif
questions......

But here is my contribution to an easy one:

8) They are helping lines that you create in drawing to arrange dimensions, balloons, notes....

Kev, come on better say you don't know the answers ....
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

ok let me try a few

1. trail file is a text file that pro/e generates, ercording everything the user is doing on pro/engineer. and is pro/e crash; one can run the trail file to save his data.

2. never heard that this kind of thing is possible.

3. config.pro is setting of pro/e lie units. searchpaths. map keys ets. config. win is setting of interface.

4. k factor and y factors are formula use to calculate developing length of sheet metal.

5. L=a+(R=q*s/2)pi*angle/180 +b....................

where a,b.......... are the stright length, R radius, q correction factor and s material thickness

6.datum targets is used to indicate critical measurement points on the drawing

7. .dtl file controls the behaviour of drawings.

8. vlad has answered this

9. same way as ysed in part mode

10. perametric formats are the formats that take information from the part or assembly and changes acordingly.

11. publish geometry is a tool in pro/e that can collect surfaces. datums and other fearture. and can be used in making a new part. (i hope i explained it right)

12.package is not fully constrained componenet in an assembly

13. envelop is a simplyfied version of assembly used when working as a team.

one user can take one envelpo from the assembly and work on it.

14. A Ribbon surface is a datum that represents a tangent field created along a base curve. The Ribbon surface is tangent to reference curves that intersect the base curve.

15. reroute is taking the feature up or down in model tree. and redifine is defining the feature again.

16. simplified representation is to make the part or assembly simple. containing only the required fetures ar parts. skelton model is a part having some datums and surface. from referance of whisn other parts are made.

17. restructure is placing the restructuring the parts in assembly. you can take one part from an assembly and put it in some sub assembly and visa versa

18. use group comand situated in edit tab

please let me know how much i am right

and i need answer of 2 question

Hi Kev,

Thank You for your comment. I have been using Pro/E to do my tool design
for the past 1 year and can give an explaination to most questions. OnlyI need to know how to put these into one clean sentence and answer to the point. Also you could have better method than the one I use.

I have been doing sheet metal & m/c tool design fo the past 12 years and the interview is for a related post. Knowing Pro/E or any other design tool/package is an advantage in the sense it helps to convey your concepts designs & ideas.Most of the time I use concepts & emphiricals to arive at optimum design. Due to limited use of Pro/E package my knowledge is limited.
Could you be kind enough to answer the questions no 2 and also the
following questions.

1. What is the difference between object reference and geometric
associativity?
2. What does

sanjeevkar1 said:
1. trail file is a text file that pro/e generates, ercording everything the user is doing on pro/engineer. and is pro/e crash; one can run the trail file to save his data.

OK Hold up ! How can one run the trail file to save his data ?? This would be super usefull to me. I knew it recorded everything, but I thought it was just a text file, you couldn't run it. please get back to me.

I don't use many of the functions of ProE but I've been on wildfire 2.0, wildfire and ProE 20 for 4 years now, mostly self trained and through training from the company. And I would certainly not be able to answer all of those questions. I don't even see the practicality of most of the items they're asking about. Do you mind if I ask with whom you are applying and what they do ?

rename the trail file and give.txt extension to it.

in pro/e for to tool tab and click on play trail/training file.

that's it.

oh yes edit the text file and remove some last lines where pro/e crashed.

and there are some config file settings also

trail_delay: give soem numeric value to it

set_trail_single_step: yes

It seems to me that the interviewer wanted surajcad to answer the questions, not a collective group from some forum. I think it's cheating to get the answers from the forum instead of answering them yourself. If you can't answer them yourself, then perhaps you're not qualified for the job... this is exactly what the interviewer is trying to find out. My .02 but if I'm misunderstanding something here, pleaseclarify.

Be aware that the interview could explore your skills with using ProE to solve a failure feature upon regen, etc. He wants to see how familiar you are in ProE when it blows up.

That's what happened to me. The interviewer asked me if I used copy geom and PDMLink. I asked to give me 5 minutes to evaluate the model tree. I verbally suggested a solution with various scenerios (tried to avoid further crash because I can't comprehend the design intent). He liked when I asked about the design intent. I got hired.

How can you use ProE for a year and not know the answer to this?

"3. What is the difference between File, Erase and File, Delete?"

I agree with others, if you need to ask the answers to these questions, then you're not qualified to use Proe, especially in an "expert" classification.

burnsp and dross, Please let me clarify... I am not (and not wanting to be)an expert in Pro-E, and neither was the interview for Pro-E modeller. I am a M/c Tools Designer and I have used different modeling packages depending on what licenses the particular company has. I just collected some questions form the web and asked you guys (Expert Pro/E Users) to give 'to the point' short answers... cause I would have ended up giving examples and explainations... anyway I have gained a lot from Sanjeev Kar's answers.

As far as the interview is concerned, non of the questions askedwere Pro-E related... and I will be finalizingon the joining tomorrow...:)

Thanks and Cheers!!!

Suraj.

[-Skint- said:
]
dross said:
How can you use ProE for a year and not know the answer to this?

"3. What is the difference between File, Erase and File, Delete?"

You mean these are different ??
smiley36.gif

Actually they are the same and mean : delete the erased file
smiley2.gif

sanjeevkar, you just click on fix index and follow the messages on the screen, fix index can make 2 rows swap their position or all rows swap their position.

Fix index is mainly used if you don't like how the BOM is sorted and if you want some custom sorting. Most of the time you can get away with sorting by description or part number but sometime when you need a custom sorting you use fix index.

Let me make a correction... Vlad
File>Erase and File>Delete may literally seem the same and can be used cosecutively. But they are used differently in Pro/E.
Erase option is used to remove 'Current' and 'Not displayed' files from memory. They are permenently removed only if they were not stored previously
in the Working Directory.
Delete option is used to delete 'Old versions' of a model or 'All version' of a model, and get permenently removed even if they were previously saved.
Also in Drawing mode (detailing) Erase and Delete are different, with Erase giving a second chance to retrieve a view, text, dimension...whatever

Suraj

surajcad said:
burnsp and dross, Please let me clarify... I am not (and not wanting to be)an expert in Pro-E, and neither was the interview for Pro-E modeller. I am a M/c Tools Designer and I have used different modeling packages depending on what licenses the particular company has. I just collected some questions form the web and asked you guys (Expert Pro/E Users) to give 'to the point' short answers... cause I would have ended up giving examples and explainations... anyway I have gained a lot from Sanjeev Kar's answers.

As far as the interview is concerned, non of the questions askedwere Pro-E related... and I will be finalizingon the joining tomorrow...:)

Thanks and Cheers!!!

Suraj.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and best of luck with the new position Suraj.

surajcad said:
Let me make a correction... Vlad
File>Erase and File>Delete may literally seem the same and can be used cosecutively. But they are used differently in Pro/E.
Erase option is used to remove 'Current' and 'Not displayed' files from memory. They are permenently removed only if they were not stored previously
in the Working Directory.
Delete option is used to delete 'Old versions' of a model or 'All version' of a model, and get permenently removed even if they were previously saved.
Also in Drawing mode (detailing) Erase and Delete are different, with Erase giving a second chance to retrieve a view, text, dimension...whatever

Suraj

I know what they do I use them daily. I was merely making a play on words.
smiley2.gif

those are perfect questions to see if a consultant knows his *ss form a hole in the ground. I would not expect every 40 dollar an hour bloke to know all those answers. But not everyone hits the tripple jumps either.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back