Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Infinite Frustration

Erich with an H

OMG! I am so frustrated with Pro/E. I'm new to this software from SolidWorks and just can't seem to make anything happen the way I want! I've spent the last day and a half editing a model and drawing sheet, something simple. I could have done this in 10 minutes tops in SW!

Anybody have some advice as to where I can get some quick knowledge. I'm almost ready to look for new employment I'm so frustrated with Pro/E. To bad it seems like nobody in WA uses SW.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

~E

Bud,

Believe me. it won't end!!! I have been using Pro/E and SolidWorks for years and I can't believe how utterly CONVOLUTED (think i spelled that right) Pro/E can make a simple task. But take some good advice. Spending time in Ranting and Raving talking about the difference between SW and Pro/E will consume you; it's like religion and politics. If i can help you in anyway way let me know; i'm pretty knowledgeable in both programs. Shoot me private message and i will give you my email address.
Edited by: jelston

This is going to turn into a SW vs Pro|E rant ...

One thing to keep in mind is that generally Pro|E will ask you to define things that SW assumes. Sketcher is a good example. In SW you can sketch a rectangle with no dims and move on. Pro|E's going to want you to tell it where to dimension it from and how high and wide it is. It can and will make the assumptions, once you tell it the dim references. SW doesn't even need that.

SW is generallymore intuitive and seems better thought out from an interface stand point.

Give it time, you'll become more productive. And come back and ask us more questions on specific areas that annoy you, there may be shortcuts that you're not aware.

Oh, and just so you know, I've been using Pro|E for 11 years and it's always been maddening. PTC seems to be blind to it, but it is. They just don't seem to get it. It's a powerful tool,though.
Edited by: dgs

jelston said:
Bud,

Believe me. it won't end!!! I have been using Pro/E and SolidWorks for years and I can't believe how utterly CONVOLUTED (think i spelled that right) Pro/E can make a simple task. But take some good advice. Spending time in Ranting and Raving talking about the difference between SW and Pro/E will consume you; it's like religion and politics. If i can help you in anyway way let me know; i'm pretty knowledgeable in both programs. Shoot me private message and i will give you my email address.

Jelston

Just a few points...

Religion - mine is the correct one

Politics - everyone else's is wrong
smiley36.gif

And re ProE/SW, discussed many times in the past, but your advice to our newbie is correct, ask the questions and you will find the answers.

Kev

Don't like PROE?

Don't have Solidworks?

Try it in AutoCAD ..

After that attempt you can nowcount your blessings ...

dgs said:
One thing to keep in mind is that generally Pro|E will ask you to define things that SW assumes. Sketcher is a good example. In SW you can sketch a rectangle with no dims and move on. Pro|E's going to want you to tell it where to dimension it from and how high and wide it is. It can and will make the assumptions, once you tell it the dim references. SW doesn't even need that.

You're comfortable letting a machine make these assumptions on your behalf ???

dougr said:

Don't put words in my mouth.
smiley17.gif

I just said that was how SW works, not that I liked it. On the contrary, that's what drives me nuts about it. You don't know what's going on behind those unconstrained sketches.

SW has to be constraining that sketch to something, but what? I'd assume it was the part origin, but who knows. If a major design change comes through, good luck predicting what those sketches are going to do.

I think that good SW design practice is not to leave a sketch unconstrained, just like I'd say good Pro|E design practice would be to not have any weak dims. But at least with Pro|E the weak dims communicate what assumptions Pro|E is making.

dgs said:
dougr said:

Don't put words in my mouth.
smiley17.gif

How am I putting words in your mouth ??This is a very straight and valid question.

I found with SW I was spending an inordinate amount of time figuring out it's assumptions and working around them to be able to define my intent.

dougr said:
dg's said:
How am I putting words in your mouth ??This is a very straight and valid question.

It just sounded like you were assuming that I liked that about SW, I don't. No worries.
smiley36.gif

Now, I think this is something about SW that our Industrial Designers love. They can generate 3D geometry fast, without worrying about references and constraints. They're concerned with exploring form, not about making robust assemblies for production, so it's good for them. I still would contend that having more up front info helps in refining the first later, however.

Once the thing does have to go to production, if it was haphazardly built there are going to be challenges in re-using that data. If the data isn't going to live beyond the ID phase, then it's fine.

It is interesting to read the level of frustration...something tells me that you are "locking up" instead of seeking out an answer. Every software has positives and negatives. I use SW and Pro-e and I consider them tools only. My suggestion: Lighten up...50 years ago a desktop computer was a dream, 50 years from now you will wonder why we had to use these slow machines and actually type on a keyboard and click a mouse.

take a break, get a beverage, let your mind unwind and then get back at it. every job is like this...oh it was great when we had the A unit, but now we have this stupid B unit, how I miss the old days...or, I drove rally cars but these formula one cars are so fast and that mechanic always sets up the handling wrong...i wish I could get a decent set of tires...

cheers,

M

magneplanar said:
It is interesting to read the level of frustration...something tells me that you are "locking up" instead of seeking out an answer. Every software has positives and negatives. I use SW and Pro-e and I consider them tools only. My suggestion: Lighten up...50 years ago a desktop computer was a dream, 50 years from now you will wonder why we had to use these slow machines and actually type on a keyboard and click a mouse.

take a break, get a beverage, let your mind unwind and then get back at it. every job is like this...oh it was great when we had the A unit, but now we have this stupid B unit, how I miss the old days...or, I drove rally cars but these formula one cars are so fast and that mechanic always sets up the handling wrong...i wish I could get a decent set of tires...

cheers,

M

??

dougr,

I was making a non-specific comment, hoping to encourage a lighter view of the topic. The second paragraph described what might be similar attitudes with a different work motif.

Did you not appreciate the humor of it?

I too have a preference between sw and pro-e, but that only matters to me

cheers,

M

dgs said:
Now, I think this is something about SW that our Industrial Designers love. They can generate 3D geometry fast, without worrying about references and constraints. They're concerned with exploring form, not about making robust assemblies for production, so it's good for them.

you're IDguys use SW? for exploring form?? I can't think of a worse tool!! Alias? Rhino? Maya? funny..

James

DGS,

Just a quick question. Do you leave sketches unconstrained when using SW? I know it doesn't display the weak dimensions the way ProE does but it provides different colours for constrained and unconstrained lines which I find great, different from ProE but just as intuitive.

Leaving skecthes unconstrained is all very well until you want to change something and that's where the good CAD users experience and expertise comes in, being able to make fine adjustments early in a complicated model and not have it fall over due to sloopy building. I am in no way suggesting you don't follow good CAD practice, just asking questions. I work with a guy who doesn't constrain sketches properly in ProE and I always have go through his models and fix them if we're working on the same project.

I'm with James Lynch, SW is totally the wrong tool for concepting.

Magneplanar - I use both SW and ProE. Both have advantages and disadvantages but I have no overall preference. As I've said on this forum before,being able to use both is the best way to go. When I see my pay cheque at the end of the month, my frustration subsides quite easily.

My final comment, at least I'm not using SDRC any more!

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back