Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to draw a spring

Paolo,

Is it just me or do you really like using VSS and relations?
smiley2.gif

Great tips, though!

jvidal said:
Is it just me or do you really like using VSS and relations?
smiley2.gif

Ahaha yes it's true, basically I don't like using the menu manager, so I miss a lot of great tools, and try to compensate with others :D

One thing to remember is that most compression springs are closed, that is there is a flat portion at either end. What I do is to create a curve by equation and calulate the z dimension from a graph. The equation in the curve looks like this:

/* For cylindrical coordinate system, enter parametric equation
/* in terms of t (which will vary from 0 to 1) for r, theta and z
/* For example: for a circle in x-y plane, centered at origin
/* and radius = 4, the parametric equations will be:
/*&nbs p; r = 4
/* theta = t * 360
/*&nbs p; z = 0
/*---------------------------------------------------------- ---------
R=(OD-WIRE)/2
THETA=TURNS*T*360
Z=evalgraph("SPRING",(T*TURNS))

In the graph I start with a little horizontal for the flat sectionat 1/2 the wire diafrom zero to .5 turns, from .5 to 1 turn I go from 1/2 wire diameter to 1 1/2 wire diameter to represent the closed coil, then I havea line to the other end where I have a similar construction. All the values in the graph and in the curve equations are controlled by dimensions in an outline sketch of the coil and the TURNS parameter I added. After the curve is created I create a VSS for the solid.

PRStock said:
One thing to remember is that most compression springs are closed, that is there is a flat portion at either end. What I do is to create a curve by equation and calulate the z dimension from a graph. The equation in the curve looks like this:

/* For cylindrical coordinate system, enter parametric equation
/* in terms of t (which will vary from 0 to 1) for r, theta and z
/* For example: for a circle in x-y plane, centered at origin
/* and radius = 4, the parametric equations will be:
/*&amp ;nbs p; r = 4
/* theta = t * 360
/*&amp ;nbs p; z = 0
/*---------------------------------------------------------- ---------
R=(OD-WIRE)/2
THETA=TURNS*T*360
Z=evalgraph("SPRING",(T*TURNS))

In the graph I start with a little horizontal for the flat sectionat 1/2 the wire diafrom zero to .5 turns, from .5 to 1 turn I go from 1/2 wire diameter to 1 1/2 wire diameter to represent the closed coil, then I havea line to the other end where I have a similar construction. All the values in the graph and in the curve equations are controlled by dimensions in an outline sketch of the coil and the TURNS parameter I added. After the curve is created I create a VSS for the solid.

Peter

i tried your way but i am not getting the graph right. can you please (please please
smiley9.gif
) upload a image of your graph.

zpaolo said:
skraba said:
Thanks, works like a charm.

How do you blend the straight parts with the spring? You build a connection curve and do the VSS through the entire length?

The spring itself and curved ends are not blended, in fact there are gaps between them. I have just created trajection curve from the endpoint of the spring (helical surface) and on planes parallel and normal to that end, since I don't need exact geometry, just to order more or less standard spring and to show basic shape of the spring.

Sometime back I had created a compression spring with sqared ends. Using some basic mathematics, I had derived an equation for varaible pich between end of first closed coil and begining of third coil. I could able to generate the entire spring with just one featue that is Helical protrusion. For some strange reasons, I am controlling the free length of the spring through a paramter called "Total_length" given under paramters. Rest of the parameters are defined in "relations" window. Please feel free to coment on the modeling technique.

2009-08-05_211452_parametric_spring.prt.zip

I have suppressed

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back