Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to draw a spring

parul.kohli

hi i am beginner to solidworks and using 2009 version

plz tel me how to draw a spring becoz i am not getting a
option CURVE under INSERT.

go straight. then turn third road to left. 1st road to right 2 road to left again then go straight for few meters there is the solidworks forum.
smiley36.gif

http://www.mcadcentral.com/solidworks/default.asp

Anyone else notice that the green icon for this website looks vaguely like a marijuana leaf? I think that might be this guy's problem.

look to make a
3d model of spring the ideal process in any software is, first make a helical curve then draw a cross-sectional profile and sweep. u just have to try this simple process: just make a helical curve probably its in under 3d curve option then make a perpendicular plane to any of the curve end->draw the profile and sweep it. remeber to use the constant called merge.

Pro/E makes helical spring with one feature, but how do you create helical spring where both ends are not on the same (start) plane - I want to create spring where ends are extended for additional 45

skraba said:
Pro/E makes helical spring with one feature, but how do you create helical spring where both ends are not on the same (start) plane - I want to create spring where ends are extended for additional 45

sanjeevkar1 said:
can you please upload the part (WF2) as an example or some images.

I can't access WF2.0 now, I'll send some pics...

First of all you create a sketch for the center trajectory of the spring (and external profile if you want), then select it and create a VSS

Go to the sketcher for this VSS, draw a circle centered at the origin trajector, up to the side trajectory (or at your will if you don't need variable profile). Make the circle "construction", then draw a line from center to circle, add a measure for the angle, something like 20

zpaolo said:
d=trajpar*(360*x+y)

where d is the angle dimension, x is the number of turns you want, and y is the angle offset between start and end point of the spring

Thanks, works like a charm.

I need to remodel some of our springs, and this seems like a more robust way to model them. Is it more robust? Does it handle changes to length, diameters, and numbers of coils pretty well?

It seems like our current spring models fall apart everytime you touch them....

mardeb said:
I need to remodel some of our springs, and this seems like a more robust way to model them. Is it more robust? Does it handle changes to length, diameters, and numbers of coils pretty well?

I don't know if it is more or less robust than the usual helical sweep, for sure you can easily change number of coils and length, and even make it flexible easily. But it has more features and surfaces too :)

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back