Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

criss cross rib

ssa1

Hello anyone knows how to make a criss cross rib ? i try to make a single rib(1st direction)and then pattern it. but the second set, i encounter problem because of inteference. is there any easier way to do this? i try do it using surface too but same problem. Any ideas?....
smiley11.gif

2009-01-06_194503_rib.zip

btw : how do i paste the image here?can't you paste a tiff file, its much smaller that jpeg.
smiley9.gif

thanks anyway

i've tried that too but same problem occur when i try to pattern the 2nd direction! .. inteference problem. any other ideas.?

make sure you are on the general pattern type. Also try
it as 2 separate patterns to see if that works.

If you are able to get the pattern to workcreate a surface boundary for the hole and use the solidify tool to remove material within the surface boundary.

nah, it can't be done! i've tried almost everything. the thing is the place that i want to place the rib is irregular shape with a draft angle at all side. try to figure out what features that allow intersections! anymore ideas?

sometimes we just cant use rib for what we are doing... but we have many many other methods and techniques how to create our "rib". there on picture was used rib (in red color) and simmetry extrude in (brown). Principially both of them are ribs. IF this is not what you need to do then you can for example create surface and define thickness of that surface and so on ....

About the pistures: Tiff format is much bigger then JPEG because JPEG is comprimed TIFF format with less clarity.

To put here on forum some picture you need to click on

and yes ... your geometry is imported .. it is *.igs sometimes is imported geometry unstable or not closed orsomewallsat the geometry arent perpendicular as it is required to use them as reference entities to create some feature .... from that reasone is needed to fix that maybe broken geometry (for example with Import Data Doctor tool or REX or some another package)... if it is not broken geometryand that not perpendicular walls are correct, thenyou can just create some surfacewith fill feature or so and then define the thickness to that surface to makeyour rib
Edited by: Miko

Hello Miko,

i actually wants the rib to cover the entire area with the exception of the cut out area.as in the picture below. my part is in proe, i upload it in igs earlier. i attach it again in prt2009-01-07_040126_criss_cross_rib.prt.zipwhat's the best way to do this feature. thanks for your input. Siti

and i've tried create it with surface ,no problem in getting the criss cross rib but the problem here is in solidfying it. i have to do it individualy. so tedious! just to know if anyone have a better and shorter way of doing it.

do you need to fill that area entirely or create rib ? am confused now ...

what version of Proe do U use ?

i need to fill it entirely, i call that feature rib! so ignore the description it is as per the posted picture.and i'm using wildfire 2

I don't have the time to poke around in your part, but here are some ideas (I'm assuming the orange/brown image is what you';re tying to do):
<ul>[*]Put the ribs in before the cutout, not after. Also before anything is drafted.[*]Use the thin protrusion feature rather than the rib feature.[*]Create a sketched curve for each rib end. In other words, for the ribs that run vertical in the image, create a 2 segment curve aligned to the upper left and upper right surfaces inside the box. Then do the same for the lower 2 surfaces. Align your sketch to the surfaces in the box, not the edges.[*]Create an approximate composite curve from each sketch by selecting the curve entities (fat red line shown) and copy and paste and select approximate in the dashboard.[/list]Now create the vertical thins by attaching each end to one of the
composite curves. You should be able to pattern them and they should
follow along the curves just fine. Add draft to the first rib and you should be able to reference pattern it. you will have to create the ribs in each direction seperately, I think. I'm not sure how to create them in one pattern.

Hope that helps.

hammerpe & gafatwork,

i can't open your files, perhaps because i'm using wildfire 2 while yours might be of adiff. version. so i don't know how it's look like. though i vr much like to see the effort that you have put in.

miko,

i'm not trying to fill the square cut out. i'm trying to make a criss-cross feature on the entire area. it's make it more complicated because of that square cut out and the draft sides!

dgs,

i'm not creatingthe part . i'm modifying the part(need to add that criss cross fea!)

i export the original part to a new part name and than add that criss cross fea. so i can't and not allow to modify original part! that's why it's so diffcult!

thank all for your effort...any other input will be greatly appreciated.
smiley4.gif

p.s : the reason i want to use rib tools is because i saw a tutorial on it(ages ago)that it's a very versatile tool! you can draw the rib outside the area and yet it is able to place exactly where i want it to be. but can't remember where the site is...

I think I have a solution for you using the rib tool but I need to try it out first and I'll post it whenI have verified it works.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back