Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo is the worst software imaginable

headrush

Haven't used Creo much since we first switched from Wildfire until a just couple of days ago. This software will cut productivity by 75%.

Yesterday I could not delete a part from an assembly. It simply would not delete. I called tech support, but by the time they call you back and you educate them on the problems with their software you have spent 3+ hours. Tech support is a big part of why PTC destroys productivity.

Today I can not stop geometric tolerances in the model from displaying. You would think that turning off the annotations button would do it, but no, that doesn't work. Yes I'm sure there is a way to do it, but why can't it be the obvious way? I could call tech support..........

I have to adjust my tree filters every time I open a part. Shouldn't Creo know where to find and save modifications to the tree.cfg file? Apparently this is asking too much from PTC.

The list goes on.

DO NOT PURCHASE CREO!! They should have thrown this code away in the 80's and started over. This software is the worst software imaginable.

Most Sincerely,

Douglas Rush
Design Engineer
Otto Bock Healthcare
Salt Lake City, Utah

Edited by: headrush

its funny how people make a fool of themselves on the internet
smiley36.gif

well ... every software is crap if one don't know how use
it.... everything listed, I usually do without a problem
in creo....funny or not??

I think the guy is a marketing man of some other CAD
smiley36.gif

I was having a similar problem with my model tree. I
can't remember for sure how it was solved but I think it
was a conflict in the config.pro file. You really have to
go thru every config entry when you're upgrading to Creo.
Believe it or not, tech support helped me solve the
problem, and it didn't take an unreasonable amount of
time.

There are still some weird bugs in Pro/CREO when it comes
to the displays, appearances, etc. Hopefully, they
corrected them in this latest datecode. Other than that,
it's just like other upgrades in that it takes some time
to figure out where every thing is, what to click, and
how to adapt to the workflow. Once you give it some time,
it's not bad.

Except for renderings that is. They really messed that
up.
Edited by: mgnt8

No, I'm not a marketing person for another CAD company. Notice that I stated my name, title and company. I stand by my words. Things can be easy or things can be difficult. I appears some of you are so proud of your ProE/Creo expertise that you enjoy things being difficult. I prefer things to be easy because it increases productivity. The reason Creo is so difficult is because PTC has their head(s) so far up their a** they can't see the light of day. They are so invested in a legacy code which is garbage they have dug themselves a hole they can't get out of. My suggestion is to avoid jumping in the PTC hole.

The software does not even display folders in alphabetical order! Need I say more?

Edited by: headrush

When modifying the placement of a part in an assembly a window pops up which covers the model tree so I can not select datums from the model tree to place the part. Nice touch!

Most, if not all of these issues are most likely being cause by your legacy config files that have not been maintianed and cleaned up. I would start there. Many config options are obsolete, some have changed names. These are all simple fixes and all can be resolved by following basic steps of maintenance during the upgrade to Creo. Creo is very simple to use when compared to the early version of Pro/Engineer.

Every software has a learning curve, every new version has a learning curve. One should be well aware of this by now and be prepared to do some homework in figureing out how to leverage the new functions as well as how to maintain the existing.

I would highly recommend you research what is causing your frustrations prior to spouting off a rant that to those of us that are experienced and take the time to learn the software, simply sounds like a lunatic going off the deep end. I certainly would not be proud to attach my name and title let alone company to such a rant.

If only CAD was about being easy to learn - its only part
of it. Being able to maintain a design over 10yrs is
usually more important.

Theres companies out there using SW that cant open files
prior to 2004 - whats with that? - and do their large
assemblies in autoCAD. They all are in a PLM nightmare as
well, all because SW was easy to use.

moriarty said:
If only CAD was about being easy to learn - its only part

of it. Being able to maintain a design over 10yrs is

usually more important.

Theres companies out there using SW that cant open files

prior to 2004 - whats with that? - and do their large

assemblies in autoCAD. They all are in a PLM nightmare as

well, all because SW was easy to use.
All I can say is, from my experience with MANY of the major commercially available parametric modellers, Pro/E was by far the most difficult to learn, use, and maintain. Period. That said, you're correct, no parametric modeller is perfect, and due to their extreme complexity and constantly evolving nature, I doubt there will ever be one that's anywhere near perfect either.

In order for software to be versatile for the masses it
needs to be configurable, and if not properly configured
for your needs it will not meet your needs. All the
things he described were configurable issues. Educate
yourself on how to config and you wont have an issue.

And if this yahoo knew anything about Creo he would know
that they basically did start over. Creo was written
around a totally new, ground up kernal. Not the old
Siemans kernal that PTC was licensing. SO it seems he is
misinformed in many fronts.

Been on this software since v16, and I have used most of
them out there, I will take Creo any day. They have come
a long way over time, and it is always getting better.

pwscottiv said:
Howdy there Mr. Pro/E expert. First, let me start by apologizing... I'm
sorry you're butt-hurt by people voicing their completely legitimate
complaints about the software you've spent an insane amount of time
trying to master.

I can see you seem to already know it all so there isn't much point in trying to help you see some logic. But, I feel compelled to try.

I have used pretty much everything out there. Including SolidWorks and have been using them for over 30 years. SolidWorks since pre-release version 1 beta.

There are things people like and dislike about virtually every piece of software out there. It's the nature of the beast. But you have to compare apples to apples. SolidWorks flat out cannot do all the Pro/E or Creo can. It is a midrange competitor that you and even they themselves try to compare to a highend product. Mayby you don't use all the features or even know about them. Once you understand what the tool can really do, then you may be able to make a valid comparison. More so you will realize there is no comparison.

I'm sure what you see and use everyday seems much easier in Solidworks. Many features are a bit easier to use and learn. But any software that is extremely diverse, will yield some complexity in learning to use it. It is trufully a lot to learn. Are there things I would like to see simplified? Sure there are. But there are things in Solidworks, Catia, Inventor, etc that I would like to see improved as well. It is the nature of the beast. You cannot please everyone and as soon as you try, you will end up chasing your tail.

"They used this early market advantage to push their
user-unfriendly software deep into the CAD user-base and
were able to get away with it for a long time because it
did offer the powerful advantage of parametric modeling.
Unfortunately the only way a user could become proficient
with their very expensive multi-nested cryptic menu

klheureux said:
"They used this early market advantage to push their

user-unfriendly software deep into the CAD user-base and

were able to get away with it for a long time because it

did offer the powerful advantage of parametric modeling.

Unfortunately the only way a user could become proficient

with their very expensive multi-nested cryptic menu

I stand corrected, my bad there.

But if so unfriendly then why buy it then, it had to have
had some merit and thus why it was chosen.

If required to use it, then deal with it, either by
working with PTC or advising your company as to why SW is
better, from the sounds of it you have ample justification.

I am quite sure that if PTC had came to the game 10 years
later they would have done things different and if SW had
started 10 years earlier that their software would be
drastically different.

Nothing personal about it, just seems as though the
issues are quite fundamental.

Just goes to show you you cant please everyone.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back