Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

XP conflicts with Proe 2001?

Lesley

Hello all,

Is anyone aware of any conflicts with Windows XP and Proe 2001? I have recently had computer and OS upgrade at work (from NT to XP), and proe is taking longer to load parts, drawings and symbols (I've got time to go and make a cup of tea while it's thinking about it!) and is driving me mad! I've got a pentium 4 processor, and 512 meg of RAM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lesley

Lesley,

I had XP in my system, its a P4 with 1 gig of ram. I was running thruogh intralink 3.2, and also using Pro manufacturing with it. XP had big problems with intralink and pro manufacturing. I kept gitting Xtop errors and corrupt files as well. Almost everytime I would reboot my pc would run checkdisk and it would find ALOT of errors and corrupt files. We tried reinstalling the OS and still had major problems. I went back to windows 2000 and have not had a problem sense. Proe will also have problems in your help menus and other places where Proe uses Sun java because Bill Gates and his lovely people decided to make their own version of java and Proe does not like it. To anyone else that wants to run Pro manufacturing with XP I wish you good luck because you are going to need it.

PTC has certified Pro/Engineer for XP... I don't believe that there is any Java stuff in Pro/E, but I could be mistaken. Intralink, however, is not certified for XP due to the Java issues that cncwhiz mentioned (The Intralink client is all Java). Intralink still seems to run fine on XP for most people however.

We've been running Pro/E and Intralink here on XP for a while without any unusual problems (just the usual stuff).

For network speed issues with new installations of XP, I'd follow up on the TPI that I listed above:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/tpi/119618.htm

#File/#Open, #File/#Save Take More Time on Windows XP Than on Windows NT or 2000 on Network Drives Located on Windows NT or 2000 Machines.

-Brian Adkins

Java is used for help menus and for model check issues. As far a the intralink issue, version 3.3 with Xp is supported by ptc. Besides the intralink and Pro manufacturing issue, Intralink will give you problems mostly if you import and export. There are three other guys here running Pro on Xp at this time and they don't seem to have many problems but they do not use pro manufacturing like myself. I still do not trust Pro with Xp.

Thanks people! Think the TPI solves the issue as my files are all saved on the company server. Looks like I'm back to doing my own backing up - there goes my Friday afternoons!!

I did a search on the Knowledge Base for XP conflicts, and it didn't come back with anything, so thanks for finding it.

We are just running basic Proe so haven't come across any other issues just yet - no doubt I'll let you know when I do!

Thanks again,

Lesley

Lesley,

If you're saving all your files locally, but need to push them to a remote server so that they get backed up, you may want to check into this piece of software... it's very good at automating this kind of thing:

http://www.centered.com/

-Brian Adkins

I haven't had any problems with either wildfire or 2001 on XP, however, intralink seems to have its' issues everyonce in a while

Brian,

Thanks for the tip - I've passed it on to our IT Administrator to sort out.

The TPI was definitely the way to go; I've moved all my files off the server onto my hard drive, and opening files is now almost instantaneous.

Cheers!

Lesley

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back