Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wow - that must hurt. Deimler AG to NX

first Chrysler(Fiat pushed it to switch to NX), now Daimler

seems Dessault misses big pieces of its cake.

For long I was curious why PTC couldn`t do the same.

I guess this goes to show that geometry creation between these tools is getting so similar, and apparently PLM is now where the going's at?

So now we're seeing the big dogs moved away from CAD programs that are too tightly integrated with their PLM system.

Isn't this really what Creo is doing? Tighter integration between product lines - The "Design Manager's" App from Jacek's other link. Maybe that's why PTC hasn't gotten a piece of the cake either.

mgnt8 said:
So now we're seeing the big dogs moved away from CAD programs that are too tightly integrated with their PLM system.

that is the point mgn8t. It seems like that but, while raeding words in between, one can find out that existing Dailmler PDM system comes from T mobile division and was/is based on some Siemens core technology.

In other words - is it like now PDM envioronment pushes caompanies to swith to common CAD app?

Now translation companies like TTI and what not will pick up with there ability to create parametric models from one system to the other. Do I hear "Cha Ching"

muadib3d said:
In other words - is it like now PDM envioronment pushes caompanies to swith to common CAD app?

I see what you mean. No wonder they want to bundle pro/e & cocreate together with their PLM as tightly as possible. Its the only way they're going to sell them in the future.

if at the end it all comes to money question is how much better existing system fits to Siemens NX.

It intrugues me why Dessault pushed Daimler to took this decision?

To me it was solid enough to be far from beliving any of big fishes would ever change its matured CAD environment.

The current Daimler PLM system is based on TeamCenter. With them switching to NX, they get a better integration betwen PLM and CAD.

And someone in the comments section was probably right when they mentioned that it was alsoa political decision. A German company choosing a German vendor over a French.

Remember theproblem with Catia and Airbus a few years back? The work on the A380 had to be divided between the German, French, and Spanish factories for political reasons, but they were all working on different versions in theirdifferent silos. The Germans were doing part of it with Pro/E. The incompatibilities supposedly cost billions in overuns. Politics & CAD just don't mix.

following this path we should expect German Airbus dep. leaving Pro/E.

Do You think PTC has strong reasons to get scared and start to shake its pants?

EADS, parrent company of airbus evaluated different PLM solution in 2007 and chose windchill over dassualt and Siemens offerings, so maybe thing are in favor of PTC at airbus?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back