Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Won’t Open STEP File

Noa_n_f

Hi I'm new to Pro/E and I cant solve what seems like a simple program. I downloaded a bunch of parts online in the form of step files and would like to make an assembly using them. When I go "file open" I click "show all files" and try to open the STEP file, nothing happens.Do I have to somehow import it into an assembly?

Thanks in advance

No, you do not have to import the files; File > Open should do it.

Check your file extensions: they should be *.stp
Also check the filename: ProE doesn't like big filenames, spaces or special characters. I've had situations similar to yours and it turns out it was the filename that was too long.

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. However, the problem continues. Pro/e dosent recognize it at all when I change the suffix to *.stp it only recognizes *.step and I changed the the name to make it shorter for example "signal". But Pro/E refuses to do anything when I try to open it. This seems quite strange.

Could you upload one of the files so I can see if I can open it?

I'm using WF4 and WF5.

EDIT:
Try this workaround:
1. create new part file
2. click Insert > Shared Data > Data from file (the menus may not be exactly like this)
3. browse to one of the files
Edited by: jvidal

Hi,

I tried openening the files when runnning a standalone WF4 without a config.pro and can simply open all 4 step files from the Open File menu...

So it works here. Try opening a standalone ProE without config settings so everything is at it's default settings and no PDM can interfere. Should work, because the data isn't corrupt.

Good luck!

Hi Noa_n_f,

I was also able to open all the files on WF5 (with my usual config.pro file) so the data is not corrupted.

I re-saved your models as STEP on WF5.

Here they are:

2009-07-08_053810_Vex_Gear_Kit.zip

I would say that you're having a problem with some of your config.pro options, but I'm not sure.

Try to do what Zestje has sugested and open it without the config.pro settings.

Good luck!

I'm sorry, I am quite new to this all. When I try to open the file that you uploaded them, the program could not even see them. I notice they were .stp files and under the drop down menu to "show files" the closest thing is .step and so it does not even see the .stp files. I am running wf4 school edition.

Zestje- I do not quite know what you mean by"config.pro". I do not know how to open it "without the config settings". Nor do I know what PDM means.

Thanks for all of your help and patience.

Hello Noa_n_f,

The school edition does not allow opening files created with the "normal" wildfire versions. This goes for native Pro/ENGINEER files (*.prt); don't know about step files.

Have you tried changing the file extension to *step? I was just trying and I'm able to open *.stp and *.step files in WF4 but I can only save as *.stp.

The config.pro file is where you save some of the settings - such as units, location of templates, etc. - of Wildfire. If you search this forum or just google it and you'll find a lot of information.

PDM stands for Product Development Management. You don't need to worry about this if you're running the school edition.

Good luck!

Ya, I think it must be my version of wf4. Renaming it with a file extension does not change anything. I noticed that when I make my own part and try to save it, it does not give me the option of saving it as a step file let alone any helpful, interchangeable file types. I guess I just dont have a good version of the software
smiley11.gif

It seems like sanjeevkar's attempt was the closest I have gotten. It recognizes the .prt file easily but says that it was created using a commercial version of wildfire and is not compatible with my version.

Noa_n_f said:
I noticed that when I make my own part and try to save it, it does not give me the option of saving it as a step file let alone any helpful, interchangeable file types.

In wich file types are you allowed to save your files?

I can save them in ".prt , .igs, .stl, .iv, .wrl, .x_t, .ed, .edz, .pvs, .pvz, .tif, .jpg, .shd, .eps, .pic, .zip........

A lot of different types but nothing useful looking. I read on PTC's FAQ that the commercial version cannot open the student version files and vice versa.

Thanks again, Noa

Sounds like its a licensing problem. One license here will not open .stp but will open .step.
Another license will open both. Check under 'help' 'system info'. You need to have an option called 'Pro/INTF_for_step loaded.

Gary

Thanks for the help everyone, sorry jvidal, it still does not open them. If oyu are using commercial then it probably will not be able to open them. I looked under the system info and do not see anything about Pro/INTF_for_step. The closest thing is "PRO/INTERFACE". I suppose I simply have the wrong lincenced version.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back