Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill PDMLink part number generating

handyman2000

My company has recently decided to go with Windchill as our PLM, but after asking the VAR about how it can generate part numbers it was lacking. Does anyone know if it is possible to have Windchill generate smart part numbers or semi-smart partnumbers? Our VAR didn't seem very comfindent that it was possible and if it was it would involve lots of extra programming. He even mentioned some thought of having separate vaults for each grouping of the first smart number portion in Windchill? Just so everyone is on the same page, but smart part number, here's an example (1450-0000015-000). The first 1450 section could represent chassis bracket, then the next 7 digits would be a sequetional number, and lastly the last 3 digits would be for weldments and individual plates or fasteners to show length. I hope someone can help me out. We need to decide if we are going forward semi-smart part numbers or just sequential numbers.

Thanks,

John

Does anyone have any opinions on the part numbering I mentioned? Or does anyone know of any contacts with Windchill PDMLink experience that could help me out with this?

Thanks,

John

If Windchill has a scripting capability similar to Intralink's, a tool could possibly be created to do what you want. Unfortunately, I can't offer more - we're still on Intralink 3.4 and trying to decide our next step.

I did a similar Intralink script that used an Access database to store the sequential number, then a prefix was added.I think now it could have been accomplished without the database.

James,

Thanks for the help. I hope our VAR has a clue when it comes to setting something up like that. If anyone else has some more advice please reply.

Thanks,

John

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back