Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire and Wildfire 2...

Hey Ctolman!

Thanks for chiming in; all points of view are valid. You're dead right about PTC trying to grow their base, but they are also alienating the very people who made them THE preeminent CAD system.

ALL I do is advanced features. Boundary blends especially: we work with ID folks and they always want to change weird things, so being able to add curves to a boundary surface is essential. I've mostly given up trying to create surfaces using anything less than boundaries and multi-trajectory sweeps; everything else is too restricting. But that's MY environment.And even though it's pretty much all I do, I still get the shift/control jazz hinked up all the time. It's just not intuitive for me. Maybe if I already knew Solidworks it would be easier...

I disagree about model complexity and Pro/E complexity. The basic modeling kernel has not been changed (except for ROUNDS, obviously. Holy Catfish they are slow now!). Yes, there were times I had to fotz around until I got the shape the designer wanted, but I haven't encountered anything I can make now that I couldn't make then. The mathematics behind a boundary blend has not changed, although I think the 'Continuous Curvature' options are much improved; I'll have to review that area.

My biggest gripe at the moment is rounds, since I'm working on a part with a jillion of them (some clients request .010" rounds on every freakin' edge! Stupid.) Variable Radius rounds are a PITA, having to change every new radius point from 'Ratio' to 'Reference'. Annoying and SLOW.

You're right about the hardware issue, but how long can we expect Moore's Law to hold? At this rate Pro/E (and every other software program out there!) is going to outstrip hardware improvements. Yes, our workstations are three years old, but their RAM is maxed out, and it's taking five or ten minutes to regen a part with two hundred features! Our profit margins are such that we do not have the luxury of buying new gear every year; we're lucky we still have jobs at all. How many companies using Pro/E are rolling in dough? Exxon maybe. Just last month I got my first raise in THREE YEARS; if we bought new machines we'd have to lay people off!

To be fair regarding the slowness issue, I'm dealing with databases that are, uh, FUBAR'ed. Worst modeling techniques I've ever seen: why change a dimension when you can just slap on another feature? Idiot. And intermingling drafts and rounds in the model tree, THEN referencing later features to them, just compounds the problems. I can't even make a simple dimensional change without all hell breaking loose. Which, sadly, is Pro/E's downfall compared to other systems. Pro/E expects you to have SOME IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING, instead of throwing features in willy-nilly. By contrast, Solidworks lets you get away with murder, throwing things in wherever and however you want (so I'm told; I haven't had time to investigate it myself).Pro/E is incredibly powerful IF you keep things organized: I once had to add .250" to the length of ahandheld device, and both top and bottom housings, with over six hundred features each, regen'ed without a hiccup. Including boundary surfaces and other 'sculpted' shapes; I WISH they'd let us design a BOX for once! Pro/E's power comes from the ability to capture the INTENT of a design, not just the shape, so when the shape changes, the associated bits updateaccordingly. The downside is, Pro/E expects you toHAVE an intent. Sadly lacking in many cases though.

Maybe I'm just a neo-Luddite curmudgeon (as implied here earlier), but not all 'progress' is 'better'. And 'better' is subjective, so what some people love, others hate. My personal view is the new GUI caters to the lowest common denominator, at the expense of advancedusers who WERE technically proficient but now find themselves asking coworkers how to do the simplest things.

On a related note, what the heck happened to the Drawing package? I used to be able to create a drawing (when pressed), but now I'm freakin' lost! It's a real struggle if you don't use it often. And the drawing aspect was the biggest issue we got dinged on when I selling Pro/E;AutoCad users couldn'tbelieve how hard it was to make a drawing, when the part was already made! True, they didn't get the concept that the PART was the design,and the drawing was just a picture of the part. But still, addingdrawing details has always been slow in Pro/E; thank goodness we hardly ever make full-dimension drawings anymore.

Enough ranting (again),

Happy Modeling!

c.

Mr CC_Rider, you have beenvery articulate in youropions of the new Pro/E software releases. I enjoyed reading your rants andactuallyshareinthose rants. (I hate the new selection methods!!!) I tooaman experienced pro user of many years and have recently switched to SolidWorks. (Pro/User (12 years), Pro/Owner (6 years) and nowassociated with PTC VAR program(Value Added Resaler)). Not trying to make a big point here but wanted to add some insightfull comments. (I don't normally contribute on a posting level but I thought what the heck...)

-- First of all, PTC knows exactly whatit's doing, right or wrong! PTC is expecting the backlash you articulate from it's current user/owners andthey don't really care (whick is one of the big problems). They even expect some smaller customers to leave the fold and pursue other programs (PTC will never own up to that but it is true!) -- Secondly, PTC changed it's course(sold out) 4 years ago once they laid eyes on SolidWorks;obviously to turn Pro/E into a SolidWorks "Power Package". FACT IS: PTC rivals SolidWorks a lot more than SolidWorks rivals Pro/E. SolidWorks continues to bid for AutoCAD users/owners and doesn't care much about winning over PTC customers since they see Pro/E mimicking thereown software. Whatmore of acompliment can SolidWorks be paid than that! The higher ups at PTC (which I have personally talked frankly with about this subject) truely feels this is what they need to do to convert SolidWorks users to Pro. I was present during last Octobers VAR Conference in Orlando and all they could talk about was SolidWorks, SolidWorks, SolidWorks. They have a beed on SolidWorks' customer base and are willing to give great incentives to those VAR that win them over.

Some sad facts: 1. PTC execs are no longer users of thereownsoftware like they once were. The guard has changed to be a bunch ofbusinessguys that give themselves VP titles and are looking for the fast and easy way to make a buck. Sounds cheap and ischeap <<"sorry Ted">>2.PTC R&Dgave into the Stockholder and Exec pressures to follow instead of lead!Believe me, a lot of good PTC SE's have left the company over it. At this time, PTC R&D does nothing but copies other companys CAD software and accquires software companies to strip it down and retrofit it to there master code.

Bottom Line here is, if you don't like PTC's direction then find somewhere else to go work that uses another CAD software. I highly suggest that you go learn SolidWorks as a backup software. It is the new Pro/E.I have found it to be more suitable for my companies needsthan Pro/E.But Pro/E does remain my firms alternate tool.

Last Word...PTC has handed out the "Kool Aid" internally and everyone there in Waltham is drinking it up, (except for a few rebels). PTC has released it's radical changes to the Public (Wildfire) and the new users are drinking it up, ...

(except for a few rebels).

C, i didn't read all you verbal outgassing because to be quite honest life is too short. So you think doing boundary blends is much harder now? Is that right??

And your working on a part with a zillion rounds. I do a lot of ID stuff and in 99 percent of the time surface transitions are not added as rounds but modelled as surfaces. maybe you should take a look at your techniques and realise that there are better ways than your currently doing.

I've used Solidworks for nearly as long as I've used proe. Its coming on well but it certainly ain't a proe replacement.

These programs are simply tools, its up to you to get the most out of them.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back