Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 3.0 ???

Well I took a look and I can see nothing too obviously diffenent.. but as I said I'm not too familiar with the interface - I simply chreate my drawing when creatign a part based on a template with foramt then show dim etc, clean them up and done..

I do like the shaded view tho.. loks really good with bom balloons (obviously have to be careful not to hide the arrows..
smiley5.gif

I can't see the pdf button, I created onewith Acrobat but could not search text...

Is it me or does Wildfire 3.0 look like there haven't been alot of enhancements

It seems alot more in the way of general used items should have been changed over, they just moved things around and not really added much in the way of new functions.

It's probably just me though

i agree moroso:)

but really how much extra stuff can they add?

i am sure as the product becomes the full production version,s the
enhancements might be more clear, or we will see how we can use these
enhancements to save time:)

The PTC UK User group are holding a couple of seminars in mid June to show WF3 and Intralink 8!!, what happened to Intralink 4-7 I dont know. Does anyone know if WF3 is compatible with Intralink 3.3 or will we have to take the leap to v8?

I'm over at the PTC/User World Event and heard a product update from Jim heppleman and Dick Harrisson this morning and the reason for the jump to intralink 8.0 is because of the consolidation of Intralink and Windchill to become part of one core PDS (product development solution)solution.. The biggest release of intralink ever..many many inprovments.. mainly on a WAN network, something that used to take 12 hours now takes only 5.. (and 4 of those hours would be ProE based.. ) they will support 3.x up to June 2008..<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Other improvments..<O:p></O:p>

Core modeling.. <O:p></O:p>
The improvements to the UDF placement tool provide many benefits: <O:p></O:p>
Introduces a new user interface similar to Copy and Paste dialogs, which provides instant familiarity with the interface <O:p></O:p>
Provides placement tool with flexible and selective reference selection capability along with clear instructions and supporting information <O:p></O:p>
Offers flexibility during UDF placement to redefine individual features without a required reference <O:p></O:p>
Consolidates the Variables list (Dimension, Parameters, Annotation Element, and so forth) into a convenient tabular format <O:p></O:p>
Improves the preview and graphical feedback <O:p></O:p>
Embedding the construction datums created while inside another features allows for a number of benefits. Firstly, users will not have a group automatically created that holds both the datums and the feature. Users can also directly select the feature from the graphics screen and upon edit, see all the dimensions used to create the feature including the dimensions of the datum features embedded. Additionally, when showing the dimensions of the feature in drawing mode, all the dimensions appear after selecting the parent feature.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
Excluding surfaces from the shell operation allows for flexible definition of the desired shelling result. Areas which are not to be shelled or where thickness cannot be accommodated can be easily excluded from the operation. <O:p></O:p>
The main benefits of the Curve Pattern are the following: <O:p></O:p>

Co relation between automatic & user defined Boom?

New poisibilities to set up in the notes system parameters?_Fam.instance .name ... for example?

smiley36.gif

cristelino

Good write up James!

"Embedding
the construction datums created while inside another features allows
for a number of benefits. Firstly, users will not have a group
automatically created that holds both the datums and the feature. Users
can also directly select the feature from the graphics screen and upon
edit, see all the dimensions used to create the feature including the
dimensions of the datum features embedded."

This pisses me off. This is not new, this is old. Pro/E
2001 had this!!!! They took it away with Wildifre.
smiley7.gif

I complained about this to day #1 of Wildfire, saying it was a stupid
move on PTC's behalf and that it made no sense whatsoever.

About 1/2 of PTC's "enhancements" or "improvements" for WF3 are nothing
more than corrections to inadequacies in their software. I'm kind
of disappointed to be honest with you - I was expecting more.

Speling, some very nice improvments in ISDX, including automatic surface conections - simply have twosurfaces with sharedboundries and ProE will actually make the CURVE conections and the SURFACE connections for you.. nice time saver...

Also, and here is a big one.. they have introduced DRAFT TANGENTS, you can now add a draft to a free form surface and even make it variable! very very nice indeed! no need to use a DAtum Ribon any more - very nice...

Also yo ucan now offset ANY curve, planar, free - ANY curve. also COS by intersect and native primative curves (arc and circle)

ScottAW - I dont think you will be disaponinted - there have been a lot of enhancements (that I can see anyway but I've only been using it since WF1.0)

Also - Preproduction II will be out in September with the production model released in April of next year...what they have said is that they are releasign Preproduction II because what they want to do is fix all those non-critical bugs that have built up over the years - and want WF3.0 to be the most stable release yet.

I'll let ye know more when I know it,

James

OK ScottAW - I talked to Natesh Gohil - PTC's Core modeling PLM about how new the "new" make datums feature is and he said that there is a similarity between 2001 functionality and WF3.0 but there have been some significant advances. namely, it has been expanded ALL datums (planes, points coords) and also you cannow reuse those make datums - reference them later of make them external from the feature.

bit of an update on the mechanica side of things - I was talking to John Buchwski -PLM for analysis and simulation. Ididn't really ask himmuch about wf3.0 as opposed to features thatwould help me out so I asked him about non-linear materials and he said that Hyper-Elastic and Elastic (but not plastic) deformations would be added in WF4.0 - also shell offset (as opposed to midplane, so an outer or an inner surface could be used to construct shell elements) will be added in WF 4.0.

I have also seen the backward compatibility work in WF 3.0 and 2.0 very very nice!there is a config option that need to be set in WF2.0 in order to be able to open WF3.0 parts in it. I can't remember exactly what it is but it's something like "open_as_backward_compatible -> Yes" I haven't got Pro on this machine so I cant check it out... bu he gave me a demo right there in front of me and it worked great! he also mentioned that you can "simulate" it within WF 2.0 between datecodes, again I'll try and check that out a little further ifIcan..

I aslo talked with Rick Leeds -PLM for Assemblies and he demoed the new skeleton mechanism functionality, very very very nice!seems to work really well!

I'm sure I have a bit more news but cant really remember it at the moment - I'll get back to ye all when I do tho'!

James

What about the 3D cross section option in detailing mode?

Has it been introduced in WF 3.0?

Israr

Some thoughts...

If you have ever been a core programmer then it is obvious to you that there is no practical way to keep all geometry backward compatible. Previous versions simply may not have had the features needed. Warp is a good example. You may be abe to generate the warp feature ina previous version but what feature(s) would it be. Seems like you would need a collection of variable section sweeps, swept blends, spinal bends, etc. The physical geometry should transfer but any features unavailable in the previous version would be "dumb".

MICROSOFT Office products are NOT backward compatible if you use any of the more powerful features or VBA. I frequently have to save as a previous version and you get different results. MOST of the features will work fine but not ALL. The geometry and algorithms in Pro/E are very complex and I would never expect ALL models to be backward compatible. Having said that I think they could do a better job of making most of them work and leaving some as dumb but even that would be difficult due to parent child relationships.

WF3 does have shaded drawig views.

http://www.kinetivision.com

I have been unable to open WF3 parts in WF2.
Edited by: kvision

I just sent for the pre-production version of W3.0, so I believe it is available. As far as backwards compatiblity is concerned. Pro-E has always been backwards compatible. The new software is fully capable to read the old files. That, as far as I know, is what being backwards compatible is. Like the PS2 could read the old PS1 disk and gameboy advance can read the old gameboy cartridges. You all seem to have the idea of backwards combatibility well uh "backwards." However there is something called the Associative Topology Bus (ATB). My understanding of this is that you could work on files in whatever compatible native format they are from (i.e older versions of pro/e) and the changes made will be reflected in the files within the latest version of pro/e (such as W3.0) A description of this is below, and other information is available in the help of Pro/e or online.
Associative Topology Bus (ATB) is a utility built on top of Pro/ENGINEER Interface. It allows the associative update of imported geometry to the newer versions of the non-native reference files that were originally used to create the imported geometry.
ATB is compatible only with CADDS 5, CATIA, Unigraphics, Pro/DESKTOP, CDRS, ICEM, and Neutral file formats. ATB may behave differently in conjunction with the different supported formats, but the available options and workflow are identical. You can use each interface format that is compatible with ATB, with or without the ATB utility, to exchange data with Pro/ENGINEER.

cmindler,

I believe "backward compatability" refers to older releases being able to open newer version files, as in a PS1 being able to play a PS2 file. Wildfire 2 will be able to open Wildfire 3 files but you will not actualy be able to modify the individual features but you will be able to see the model tree and ighlight the features. WF2.0 will not actually take in the WF3.0 model as much as it will actually take in the geometry of the WF3 model. features added to this geometry can then be grafted back into the Wf3.0 version.

James

James,

I'm sorry, but I believe you are wrong on this one. The definition of backward compatible is ... "A program is backward compatible if it can share data with an earlier version of itself. For example, WordPerfect 6.0 can read WordPerfect 5.1 files, so it is backward compatible." You are correct with the functionality, but the terminology is incorrect. Maybe a term such as "forward compatible" or such might work better. It seems quite difficult, if not impossible, to be able to write a program that would even remotely be albe to open files created within future software releases, except for a neutral type of file format.

cmindler,

Your definition describes both sides of the same coin.

The first half where it states "...it can share data with an earlier
system." This is correct. The key word is
'share'. If program 2005 makes available, possible to share, with
program 2004 then it is backwards compatable.

Most things are forward compatable.

you know what - it doesn't really matter!
smiley4.gif
which ever one is right, I was under the impression that my definition was correct but you know what, I could be wrong (I have been before - bit of a shock I know!
smiley36.gif
)

Anyway the moral of the story is that WF2 can open Wf3 files! Win Win all round!!

Anybody knowing about the date issue in Wildfire 3.0 drawing.

In WF 2.0 if you create a drawing and save it with &todays_date, and you open this drawing a week later it does not automatically adjust the date.

Israr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back