Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

wildfire 2 to wildfire 3 to wildfire 2

cold fusion

Hey

I currently bought wildfire 3 student editions and now my university has
decided to stick with wildfire 2. So I was thinking is there any way of using
wildfire 2 files in wildfire 3 without losing anything.

If not then I guess I have to buy wildfire 2 which is cool with me.

hope someone could clear this up for me

hi cold fusion

I have been using wildfire 3 for sometime. On commercial software licences wildfire 3 reads wildfire 2 files no problem and visa versa. I suggest you try taking an education licensewf2 created part and try running it on your WF3, and visa versa.

I work a research company base at Loughborough University, please let me knowthe out come of your trial as some of the students here may soon be in the same situation.

Hi.

I just found out from the techs here and they said that it will conflict from
wildfire 2 to 3, but can work. If it does not accept it then best bet is to
save the file as neutral but that means its flattened down which I am guessing
is not useful.

But one of them told me if u buy wildfire 3 student edition, and when u install
it u have to make an online account.

Once you have the account you have access to wildfire 2 to download from their
server because you already have the license, which works for any student
edition.

Ask one of your students to go and visit PTC website and go to support. There
should be a link that says download cad, and all you do is log in with his
account and then I think you can download it. But only to that computer because
of the Mac address.

Try this out, because I am about to try it and will post back.

Hope this helped in any way.

red devil said:
Wildfire 2 definitely cannot read Wildfire 3 files, ProE has never been properly backward compatible.

RD

i know that.... but there is a way of installing two wildfires on the same licence becuase uni has done it before.

so people that need both to run they can by using wildfire 3 lic to run wildfire 2.

i dont know if this works but i will report back once i try it out.

yup it does work, i do that here a lot. I have 2001, WF1, WF2 & WF3 running from the latest Flexnet license.

RD

i think you have to use the neutral file format with the ATB (advanced Topology bus) It works, but it isn't a very streamlined way of working.

RD

red devil said:
i think you have to use the neutral file format with the ATB (advanced Topology bus) It works, but it isn't a very streamlined way of working.

RD

ah very true RD. so all i have to do is when PTC wildfire 2 ask for lic, i re-direct it to my .dat file on my computer which was created for wildfire 3. or do i have to log in again and create aother lic.dat file ?

thanks RD most greatful
smiley4.gif

Edited by: cold fusion

Assuming you currently have an install of Flexnet (WF3 license manager). You don't need toinstall another license manager to run WF2.All you have to do when installing WF2 is to enter the license manager computer name when the installer asks for it. It should work ok. PM me if you have any problems.

RD

ahh, then i might have a prob already, lol, you see i have not installed the Flexnet. i'll read the book and find out how to install it and i'll report back. many thanks, may be some day i can buy you a beer
smiley4.gif

Flexnet is the newer version of license manager that WF3 uses and you have to get a new license file cut from PTC. The new licenses will work down to 2001. If you have the old Flexlm that WF2 uses, then WF3 will not work.

RD

ohhhh well i have the new wildifre 3 installed with a student licenses. i am still waiting for my mate to give me his wildfire 2 cd's so i can test it out.

Thanks RD you helped me alot.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back