Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 2.0 `vs` Wildfire 3.0

[-Skint-]

Hi All,

As you know, I am the Pro-e Noob. I am basically self tought on pro-e and have been struggling along for a couple of months now using Wildfire 2.0. Now... my company will now be upgrading to Wildfire 3.0 within the next few weeks /months and I was wondering if any of you have had the chance to use it yet. I will be attending a seminar within the next couple of weeks to see what v3.0 has to offer.

What are the main differences between v2 and v3 that I should prepare for ? Have many of the old style 2001 menus dissapeared ( these give me huge headaches
smiley36.gif
) ?. Is anybody aware of a change to the problems that radii cause etc, just wondering if anybody`s suggestions on this site were taken into consideration.

Basically if anyone is using this already and have been for a while, let us know what you think.

Cheers

I will not speak about differences btw V2 & V3 but I will ask and comment something!

You firms put its job at huge risk with so fast transfer form V2 to V3. I try to imagine on what facts they decide to do that?

PS Public release isnt even finished!!! One more thing, which counts.

My place are on about buying WF3 licenses this year. But they dont want any intergration phase
smiley5.gif
.. It will just be take off the old and put on the new...

We currently use 2001.. and im trying to teach myself WF2

SP is right when he say's that we are putting our work at risk !! without an intergration period work will just grind to a halt until the engineers have learned WF3, and out of 5 of us.. im the only one who has even tried WF the rest only know 2001

A very stressed Taz
smiley11.gif

The company that we purchased pro-e wf2.0 from have done extensive testing of v3 and say that all bugs and faults have or are being addressed and that it is now approaching final release stage ? What is more concerning for me is that it has just taken me two months of pain-stakingly frustrating learning of v2 to get to the level I am at now, i just dont want to have to go through such a large learning curve again to use v3.

And tazbaby. I think I have probably been a little fortunate as to never of used 2001, as it seems so different from wildfire ?

The company involved is a PTC Authorised Reseller based here in the UK and they have been involved with a lot of the BETA testing so I guess they have been playing with it for quite some time, I know it has been available for download on PTC for a number of weeks now.

Anyways, I will let you know what I think when I see it
smiley2.gif
, I am due on the seminar on March 23rd.

Anybody else used v3 yet ?

UI like 2001 isn't bad, once you figured it out its logic then everything is ok, but then this kind of UI is very slow (if you want to go to sketch, then it takes 4 or 5 clicks to get there, not to mention if you miss tool then you must star again from beginning).

I used 2000i2, 2001, WildFire, WildFire 2.0, and I never look back. From my opinion all the improvements on UI, and everything new in ProE was better then prior releases.
Now when wf3 comes out I think I'll work in it from first day. So my vote goes to wf3.
Also in wf3 it will be over 2000 bugs fixed from all other versions of ProE. therefore this should be pretty stable version.

As for new feature in wf3 compeering to wf2, modeling is pretty the same (except for ISDX there are some new features), assembly is slightly different (now all commands are in dashboard), in drawing you have shaded views, rendering is better, more options, easy lights manipulation etc
smiley2.gif
as for other modules I didn't have time to play around so check them on PTC.

Skint
As for time to get used to wf3 it depends what modules you are using, but I think that in a weak period you should completely master wf3
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Isair

There won't be much of a UI learning curve going from WF2 to WF3. Mostly it is just a matter of introducing the WF interface to more areas of the program.

I would like to believe that PTC can bring out a nice stable, bug free build with the first production release of WF3 but that would be like believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. I for one will wait a bit, let the SPR's pour in and and the bug count stabilize before deciding.

Santa Claus is not real ?
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Wise decision dr_g, im glad I dont have to purchase this software hehe, I just have to use it. I think your right, I have read through the PTC site regarding the changes and it does not sounds too bad, the changes are mainly introducing the dashboard selection process to more features and yes removing a lot of bugs etc.

Im looking forward to the seminar on the 23rd March just to find out exactly what has changed and I am sure I will learn a few things from other users whilst I am there. There will only be 20 people attending the seminar and we can all have 30 minutes 1-1 to discuss anything which may be particularly relevant to me.

Will let you know what I think.

Where is this download for WF-3? I got an email yesterday:

IT'S HERE!

dot_clear.gif

dot_clear.gif

Take Your Productivity to the Next Level!
Work Faster - Work Smarter with Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0
dot_clear.gif

small_red_arrow.gif

Faster Assembly
dot_clear.gif

small_red_arrow.gif

Faster Drawings

small_red_arrow.gif

Faster Sheetmetal

small_red_arrow.gif

Faster CAM

dot_clear.gif

Plus,
Smarter Models. Smarter Sharing.
Smarter Process Wizard for Pro/ENGINEER Mechanica.
Smarter Interoperability... and more!

5stars.gif

OUR HIGHEST QUALITY RELEASE EVER

dot_clear.gif

It's ALL Here - Read The Top 10 Reasons to Upgrade to Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0
dot_clear.gif

Go 3.0 NOW

Hi all

What I'm wanting to know is: I can't seem to find any link for the download. Why are they sending this email? Has anyone found the link?

Frustrated

Sip

You are not alone. There is no production WF3 yet. March 17 is still the release date AFAIK. Yesterday the Top 10 link was 404, they got it fixed today. That email was just hype with nothing useful.

It would be nice if they would let us pre-order the CD so when it comes out we get it automatically. I can do that with a $10 audio CD, why not with my $8000/year paid maintenance?

Edited by: dr_gallup

From what I have heard the changes are subtle with increased speed in modeling and sketching. Most of the upgrade is to fix the issues that came with 2.0. I cant see the user interface being so much different that there will be much of a learning curve. Just improved performance is my guess.

Skint,

I agree completely with dr_gallup and CPiotrowski, they've nailed the reality of it.

By the way, when you mentioned...

"The company that we purchased pro-e wf2.0 from have done extensive testing of v3 and say that all bugs and faults have or are being addressed and that it is now approaching final release stage ?"

...it reminded me of the three biggest lies in the history of man...

The check's in the mail.

The software's been tested.

Sorry, can't share the third one on the forum.

Maintenance paying customers will get the WF3 shipped to them automatically when it is released, so there is no need to order it, or keep looking for it...

I have been testing WF3 since the first pre-production build, and continued throught pre-production 2, with the heavy/serious testing in PP2.

Within my first week of testing pre-production 2, I filed 10 calls with Tech Support, all of which were turned in to SPRs. Out of he 10, 4 were minor issues, 6 were major show stoppers...As of now I have approx 15 calls open regarding WF3...

It has always been a practice of mine, and a lot of others as well, to wait at least 3 months (two or 3 build codes after release) before considering the move. This gives them time to get the bugs worked out, and any long time, experienced company can tell you that there is always problems with the first release...No matter how many bugs they are fixing from previous releases, there is always always going to be new bugs introduced...there is always going to be issues..It all depends on how much of a risk taker you are

And as far as your VAR testing and telling you what they did...Thats great, but you should not let such important decision be left up to people that are not in your company...they are not using it exactly the same way that you are day in and day out..Dont let your VAR influenceyou (your company) in that manner.

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I attended an official launch of WF 3.0 yesterday, the offical release date according to PTC was last friday the 17th March.

From what I saw yesterday, there are some excellent changes. Thier new key word is "FAST". Everything has got slightly faster with less button clicks to get from one comand to the next etc.

Drawing has got slightly faster, now also included within sketcher is a pallete of sketches, such as hexagons etc and also you can save your favourite sketches directly into a sketcher table.. including company logo`s etc.

There seem to be some good changes with variable section sweeps and blends aswell, a mixture of the two it seems.

Assembly is now almost completely controlled via the control panel rather than the old style menus.

apparently wf 3.0 has 75% coverage of control panels now compared to 15% in WF 1.0.

Anyway, as you know there was way too much involved for a noob like me to understand
smiley36.gif
, but what I did understand looked great. For the renders out on this forum, the lighting has improved a great deal, with flexibility being controlled by the global systems similar to those found in max and alias etc. The ablility to create fast animations and small video clips has been added and looks brilliant too.

I may get the download within the next few weeks, im just a little unsure yet. If i progress with the download to WF 3.0, then I loose out on the Style feature becuase my maintenence package only includes style feature for wf 2.0 ( apparently ). Oh well...lets see what happens.

Enough talk.. back to work
smiley4.gif

Hacks said:
Skint,

I agree completely with dr_gallup and CPiotrowski, they've nailed the reality of it.

By the way, when you mentioned...

"The company that we purchased pro-e wf2.0 from have done extensive testing of v3 and say that all bugs and faults have or are being addressed and that it is now approaching final release stage ?"

...it reminded me of the three biggest lies in the history of man...

The check's in the mail.

The software's been tested.

Sorry, can't share the third one on the forum.

Take your choice :
<LI>But, officer, I only had two beers.
<LI>...But we can still be good friends.
<LI>Come on, we'll just have ONE beer!
<LI>Dad, I need to move out of the dorm into an apartment of my own so I can have some peace and quiet when I study.
<LI>Don't worry; he's never bitten anyone.
<LI>Don't worry; I can go another 40 miles when the gauge is on "Empty."
<LI>Don't worry, it's OK -- I'm sterile.
<LI>Don't worry, we'll be putting out the new upgrade next week.
<LI>Drinking? Why, no, Officer.
<LI>Eat this; you'll like it.
<LI>Enough is enough.
<LI>Five pounds is nothing on a person with your height.
<LI>Go ahead and tell me. I promise I won't get mad.
<LI>Having a great time. Wish you were here.
<LI>I am married, but we're getting a divorce.
<LI>I believe that it will.
<LI>I can't remember.
<LI>I did it.
<LI>I didn't do it.
<LI>I did not have sexual relations with that woman
<LI>I didn't inhale
<LI>I dunno who did it
<LI>If it will make you happy, it will make me happy.
<LI>If you get pregnant I promise I'll be there for you every step of the way.
<LI>I'll be home by 10:00
<LI>I'll call you later.
<LI>I'll do it in a minute.
<LI>I'll get back to you.
<LI>I'll only put the head of it in...
<LI>I'll pull out before I come.
<LI>I *love* your new _____!
<LI>I look better out of clothes.
<LI>I'm a social drinker. I can stop anytime I want to.
<LI>I'm from the government. I'm here to help you.
<LI>I'm from the IRS. This won't take long.
<LI>I'm in my late thirties.
<LI>I'm late because the alarm didn't go off.
<LI>I'm your supervisor; you can trust me.
<LI>I never inhaled.
<LI>I never watch television except for PBS.
<LI>I promise to pay you back out of my next paycheck.
<LI>It only hurts at first.
<LI>It's a good thing you came in today. We have only two more in stock.
<LI>It's a problem that's been happening to a few people, and it's currently being looked into...
<LI>It's a terrific high, and I swear you won't get hooked.
<LI>It's a very small spot; nobody will notice.
<LI>It's delicious, but I can't eat another bite.
<LI>It's not the money; it's the principle of the thing.
<LI>It's only a cold sore.
<LI>It's supposed to make that noise.
<LI>It will be fixed in the next release.
<LI>I used to be a model.
<LI>I've finished my homework. Now can I watch TV?
<LI>I've never done anything like this before.
<LI>I've never paid for it, and I never will.
<LI>(from Wyoming:) I was just helping the sheep through the fence.
<LI>I will be devoting my life to finding the real killer of my wife, Nicole, and Ron Goldman.
<LI>Just ignore him -- he's never bitten anyone.
<LI>Let me check my calendar, and I'll get back to you.
<LI>Looks don't matter; it's personality that counts!
<LI>My dog chewed it up.
<LI>My wife doesn't understand me.
<LI>Now, I'm going to tell you the truth
<LI>Of course I did. Didn't you?
<LI>Of course I'll respect you in the morning.
<LI>Of course I love you.
<LI>Of course these donuts are fresh; they were just made this morning.
<LI>One size fits all.
<LI>Our children never caused us a minute's trouble.
<LI>Put the map away. I know exactly how to get there.
<LI>Read my lips: no new taxes
<LI>She means nothing to me.
<LI>Size doesn't matter.
<LI>So glad you dropped by. I wasn't doing a thing.
<LI>Sorry, dear, not tonight. I have a headache.
<LI>Sorry the work isn't ready. The computer broke down.
<LI>Sure, I know "C."
<LI>That train/plane will get you there in plenty of time to make your connection.
<LI>The baby is just beautiful.
<LI>The delivery is on the truck.
<LI>The doctor will call you right back.
<LI>The new ownership won't affect you; the company will remain the same.
<LI>The puppy won't be any trouble, Mom. I promise I'll take care of it myself.
<LI>There are no such things as problems; only solutions/opportunities.
<LI>The reason I'm late is we ran out of gas.
<LI>The river never gets high enough to flood this property.
<LI>...Then take a left. You can't miss it.
<LI>This car is like brand-new. It was owned by a retired school teacher who never went anywhere.
<LI>This is a very safe building. No way you will ever be burglarized.
<LI>This is a very safe building; you have nothing to fear in case of an earthquake.
<LI>This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you.
<LI>This is my first time.
<LI>Trust me, I'll take care of everything.
<LI>We'll keep your name on file.
<LI>We'll release the upgrade by the end of the year.
<LI>Yes, I did.
<LI>You can trust me.
<LI>You don't look a day over 40.
<LI>You don't need it in writing; you have my personal guarantee.
<LI>You get this one; I'll pay next time.
<LI>You look like you've lost weight.
<LI>You made it yourself? I never would have guessed.
<LI>You have nothing to worry about, honey. I've had a vasectomy.
<LI>Your hair looks just fine.
<LI>Your insurance policy covers you for full replacement value.
<LI>Your luggage has been checked through to ______. </LI>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back