Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 2.0 Available

Peterbrown,

Welcome Wildfire 2.0. This will open a new discussion on what is where and how-tos. Proecentral forum will remain hot in the coming days.

Israr

Any idea why this is a multi-step process now? You have to request to REV UP, wait two days and then request a license pack before downloading the software. What does the REV UP accomplish?

ARRGH! I just got the license code email and it states: In order to receive codes at Wildfire 2.0 - Feature Version 25, you will have to convert your licenses to License Simplification. If you do not want to do this at this time you will continue to get codes at Wildfire - Feature Version 24 or previous revisions.

However, simplified licenses only work back to version 2001 build 2001440. We still use R20 for all production work so I can't get new codes to try out WF2.0! And PTC codes department doesn't answer the phone until 10 AM! Wish I could get those hours.

I suspect it has to do with the new licensing scheme that Wildfire 2.0 supports. A user will be able to 'check-out' a license temporarily for other use and then 'put it back' later. This will allow users to put a license on a laptop, for example, take it home, do some work, and then come back to the office and put the license back. Of course, in the meantime no one will have access to that license. Also, the mobile user won't have to grab the license via the internet or dial-up.

I would think that you should be able to get another license server running with the old license codes (R24) to support your pre-2001440 software.

Regards

The check-out feature will be really nice. I don't have another server to run the old codes on. Can I set up two FLEXlm processes on the same server and have them listen on different ports? The tech I talked to at license adninistration was clueless. She just said WF2.0 is really new so we don't know.

Any older release file is automatically converted to Wildfire when saved, and is then unavailable to be opened in an earlier release.

You do not have to convert all your codes at once to Simplified Licensing (SL). I just converted our Flex3C licenses and left all our other Foundation Advantage & Flex/E licenses in the old format. I was shipped a new license file that contained both SL and the old style. You must load the new FlexLm software from the WF2 CD and then read in the new file. I am now successfully ruining all our old licenses and the SL versions. I can run my Flex3C licenses on WF1 or WF2.

The ability to convert some licenses will help in transitioning to a full SL installation.

Just a quick note on the license borrowing feature. Yes, you can borrow a license from the server for a period of 1 to 5 days, then disconnect from the server (network) and keep working. This is ideal for traveling laptops.

Caveat: once you borrow a license, it is not available until the selected time period is up. FlexLM will not let you return the license to the server.

-pb

>>Can I set up two FLEXlm processes on the same >>server and have them listen on different ports?

We have been running ProE licenses on FlexLM 8

together with AutoCad 2004 without any problems

NielsC

>> Can I set up two FLEXlm processes on the same server and have them listen on different ports?

We have been running ProE licenses on FlexLM 8 together with AutoCad 2004 without any problems <<

I just got off the phone with tech support and they say you can not have 2 ptc_d process with different license files listening on different ports. You CAN have multiple daemons from different vendors but NOT 2 from PTC.

So I guess I'm back to setting up a new license server for the simplified licenses. I'll have to use one of the workstation clients.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back