Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why wont model convert to Sheet Metal?

ctr1914

<DIV =forum>

Any Sheet Metal pro's out there? I'm attempting to model this Deutsch Strain Relief component WHDS-24-1. (PDF and PRO/E WF5 Model attached) Deutsch only had the pdf 2d print of it so I was trying to create the 3d model of it.

I started out initially trying to create it from scratch in sheet metal mode but I could not find a good way to create the intermidiate section of this part whereittransitions and tapers from one dia to another, so I switched back to standard part mode until I developed the intermidiate section of this part through surfacing then when I made the switch back to Sheet Metal mode it failed to convert.

Any suggestions or help as to why it wont convert?2011-07-28_164930_whds-24-1.prt.zip2011-07-28_165123_WHDS-24-1RevE.zip</DIV>

Looks like you will have to create a form feature. This part can't be flattened without some stretching of the material.

<tg>

You can do this as a regular part an convert to sheetmetal via a shell or thickness. An issue I see that may be causing the problem is there doesn't appear to be any radius at the transition from the smaller clamp to the tapered portion, or from the tapered portion to the larger clamp.

Sheetmetal doesn'tdeal withsharp transitions at all soa radius is required and the radius has to be large enough to be sure that the thickness doesn't result in a negative or 0 radius.

I cannot open the actual partfile as themy currently location I don't have WF5 so I can only go by the drawing.

A part will not convert using shell or driving surface if the part isn't exactly uniform thickness. I am assuming that in some transition area, the part is not uniform thickness.This happens a lot when people use surfacing techniques in standard application before converting to sheetmetal and don't realize the part has varying thickness in areas.

It is important to make the distinction between 1) conversion to sheet metal 2) flattening a sheet metal part.

It is possible to convert geometry to sheet metal and not have something that will flatten (or flatten easily).

For conversion to sheet metal, you just need contiguous geometry which is uniform thickness. You can use driving surface or shell conversion to guarantee uniform thickness. If the geometry is split into 2 parts, you'll have problems.

One of my favorite ways to convert difficult parts (for flattening) is to use Publish Geometry and copy surfaces into a new part. Then, you can try "flatten quilt" to flatten the surface and then "thicken" it. "flatten quilt" tends to work on geometry that can't be flattened using Unbend or Flat Pattern.

Of course, being that the surface is on one side of the part, you'll have to offset it the value of the K-factor to give you a better approximation of the developed length (if that is required.)

Using Publish / Copy geometry, you can use the original part to parametrically drive changes to the flat part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back